Sign in to follow this  
Otrman

Monitor for X-plane 11

After unsuccessfully trying to run x-plane on my circa 2010 system with Dell 27" monitors and a weak graphics card, I have a new system on the way with X9  8 cores including Turbo Boost to 5.0, 2 1tb SSD drives, 32GB of memory, and a Nvidia 2080 ti graphics card.  Everyone tells me that I will do very well with this system except that the old Dell monitors only refresh at 60 and there is no support for g sync. I am told I will get the best results with an IPS monitor, 100 refresh rate or so, response time of 4 or less, and g-sync support.

I found the Acer 32 inch predator with all of that except that it only has a refresh rate of 60.  I have a feeling that the super fast refresh rate would be very beneficial for games but I only with to get into simulation starting with x-plane.

Can anyone give me some advice here.  How would a refresh rate of 60 work with my new system using the Dell's.  I would really like a larger monitor but the right one.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Otrman

I fly XP11 on a 24" BenQ PG2401 IPS monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate with no problems. I don't see anything to complain about when playing games on the monitor either, but then I'm not a hardcore gamer who might notice it. Works fine for me with everything from Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Total War Three Kingdoms.

I don't use a large "gaming" monitor because I need a pricey color-correct monitor like this for some of the graphics work I do, and they tend to not have high refresh rates.

So my advice would be to try your current monitor(s) with your new rig. You might want something fancier and newer to match the new system, but they might work fine as-is. 

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

People telling you that obviously aren’t familiar with flight sims!

With modern games, yes you could benefit with a higher refresh rate but with X-Plane you can still bring that system to it’s knees. Get some add ons,  complex aircraft, scenery and weather and you can be struggling for high frames if you aren’t careful even with that system. If you were ever tempted to change monitor for flight sim I’d go 4K and bigger for immersion rather than higher refresh rates.

Chris

I appreciate your advice.  I have been taking some of the x-plane flight lessons with my 27" 2K, 60FPS monitor the only issue I notice is that the instrument panel is a bit hard to read.  I found an Acer 34", flat screen, 4K monitor that supports g-sync. I like the idea of a larger screen but I will start flying with the new system and the 27" monitors to get started.

Thanks for your advice,

Otrman

A 4K monitor should solve the blurry instrument panel! You will be lucky if Xplane can push more then 40+ FPS in dense scenery on a 4K monitor. So high refresh monitor is irrelevant unless you are trying to future proof. If you can afford it get a color accurate monitor. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

6 hours ago, Otrman said:

I appreciate your advice.  I have been taking some of the x-plane flight lessons with my 27" 2K, 60FPS monitor the only issue I notice is that the instrument panel is a bit hard to read.  I found an Acer 34", flat screen, 4K monitor that supports g-sync. I like the idea of a larger screen but I will start flying with the new system and the 27" monitors to get started.

Thanks for your advice,

Otrman

I am sure you know this but check your Texture setting's under Graphic's. The higher it is set the more clear the panel should be to read. Requires a RESTART after each change. But I think you have already done this, and know this, but new users might not. At the lowest setting's I can not read any text under or above the knobs and switches. But as I increase it to get the frames I want, it get's better.

But as I said, I think you know this.

Good luck! 

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

I have a similar system to yours and for a monitor I have a Dell Ultrasharp 3415 34". Had it for several years. Works flawlessly (famous last words!). totally pleased with this monitor.

Dave

I believe that 60fps on any sim would be the sweet spot. I rather have 60fps with cero stutters than 124 with sutters.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'd be interested to know since almost a year has passed since the last post,  if anyone found a sweet spot for the nVidia 2080Ti as far as a great monitor to run X-plane and other flight sims on (DCS, MS 2020, etc.)?  The reason I ask is that I have a chance to get 3 2K monitors (ASUS 27" PB278Q) working, i have two of them already and can add a third one to see if i can run them either all on one CPU or do networking side-views with another computer that has a 1070 card (i might have to dumb-down the 2 side-monitors to 1920x1080 because frame-rate might be an issue.  BUT, i could also opt for a 4K monitor , say 34" or 43"  but I worry about getting the best size to be able to see all the detail without everything getting so small in 4K resolution.  I know also that I am going to drop FPS when going to 4K (which I haven't had yet....I'm stuck in the 2K world right now).  Any opinions or suggestions would be great.  I'm running a 6800K CPU with 32GB Ram (main gaming computer).  Thanks again!!!

Edited by bad_turbulence

I9 9900k + 2080Ti + 32GB 

Using a super Ultrawide 49" 5120x1440 (C49RG/Crg9)= Immersion (Flightsim and open world games). I use 100 Fov for X-Plane. 

Performance is great. Still lower Pixel count than UHD (7 million vs 8 million). DPI is 110 and sharp enough like an 27" WQHD 2560x1440. Look at the resolution and you'll see that 49" is basically 2x 27" merged into one. 

Dell and LG have alternatives with IPS Panels instead of VA, same resolution, but 60Hz and not 120Hz like Samsung (which is irrelevant for X-Plane, but not for overall smoothness in other games and on the desktop). 

49" with 3840x1080 also exists, but 82 DPI is way to low for me (2x 27" FHD) 

11 hours ago, jomcci said:

I9 9900k + 2080Ti + 32GB 

Using a super Ultrawide 49" 5120x1440 (C49RG/Crg9)= Immersion (Flightsim and open world games). I use 100 Fov for X-Plane. 

Performance is great. Still lower Pixel count than UHD (7 million vs 8 million). DPI is 110 and sharp enough like an 27" WQHD 2560x1440. Look at the resolution and you'll see that 49" is basically 2x 27" merged into one. 

Dell and LG have alternatives with IPS Panels instead of VA, same resolution, but 60Hz and not 120Hz like Samsung (which is irrelevant for X-Plane, but not for overall smoothness in other games and on the desktop). 

49" with 3840x1080 also exists, but 82 DPI is way to low for me (2x 27" FHD) 

I really appreciate the information.  Sounds like a great monitor.  i think your processor is helping a bunch too.  are you running it at 5GHz? (turbo mode)  And in x-plane, are you getting a slight line in the middle (vertical) where the two 27" monitor separation technically would be?  X-Force PC guy (i think his name is robert) had a video with that problem on a 49" ultra-wide.  I hope to get my CPU upgraded eventually, 6800K is ok but hard to overclock ,,,iv'e crashed my hard-drive multiple times attempting over-clocking it and have to restore entire system (M.2 SSD) if it goes down real hard.  I am going to ponder his scenario a bit more and thanks again!  

No vertical line. X-Plane is working perfectly fine like BF5 and Red dead redemption. I use 100 Fov, that's it. It is recognized as ONE monitor without any interruption. 

I don't know what stupid experiment this guy was doing, but you can run these monitors as two different 27" monitors. Why the hell would you do that to game on?? Then for sure you'll have this line. 

CPU is running @ stock. All Core Turbo is 4,7ghz and one core turbo is 5ghz. So 99% of the time I have 4,7ghz. Maybe I will start OC to have all cores @ 5ghz, but this is the first CPU where I say : not necessary. I mean, we are talking about 300mhz. Won't change the world, only produce more heat 🔥

• Like 1