Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Flight Acceleration - do you do it?

Flight Acceleration - do you do it?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you time accelerate your flights?

• No, never
    • Yes but only rarely when absolutely necessary
    • Yes and always before cruise level
    • Yes, always but only at cruise and flight less than 4 hours
    • Yes, always but only at cruise and flight greater than 4 hours
    • Yes, always but only at cruise and flight greater than 8 hours

I'm curious about how many of you time accelerate your flights either using the option in P3D or the one in your aircraft if available. Personally, I can only remember having done it once when I was desperate to finish a flight before a football match was due to start on TV. That was a long time ago.

I fly a PMDG737 and limit my flights to around 1.5hrs maximum but always fly in real time. Same with my Concorde flights but let's face it flying that aircraft is like 2.5 times acceleration anyway with no flight longer than 4 hours.

I appreciate many of you have limited leisure time so it may be a necessity if you want to hop over the pond. Do you do it purely so those type of flights are achievable or do you just get bored with long-haul?

I didn't want to add extra questions with the degree of acceleration. Please state that in your reply if you want.

Your vote will be public so I hope that doesn't put you off with the poll. Thanks!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There is no way that I would ever consider using time acceleration. If I did not have the time to complete a long flight, I would break it down into multiple small hops.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Never. I fly mostly GA and WB (including jets) in flights less than 90 minutes. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

When you are flying in the real world for hours on end you are:

1 being paid
2 sharing the flight with someone else

When you are on Flight simulator you are:

1 not being paid
2 sitting alone in your den

Therefore I time compression always at cruise level because I can't think of anything worse then flying alone on a sim and not making any money. SIDs and STARs is the fun part

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 5

Matthew Kane

I only ever really did it if I was doing a YouTube video where there's no need to shoot a video of most of the cruise. Otherwise, when I'm doing my live streams, I won't do it. I normally fly on VATSIM at that point anyway, so I can't increase the sim rate.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I would sometimes use time accel at cruise for flights longer than 4 hours.  Not every time though.

I depends on whatever else I have going on.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Airliners

Offline: Yes and always after cruise level. Flight time is irrelevant.

Online: No never.

GA

Offline or Online: Never.

I always use it during cruise on flights over two hours and love the built in time compression on the PMDG T7 and 747.

Since I fly offline I see no reason not to use it versus spending hours sitting and staring at the screen or going and doing something else while it’s flying. I’d rather start and hand fly the SID to cruise, skip the boring and time consuming cruise and then hand fly the descent, approach and landing. I personally see nothing noble or gratifying being on autopilot the whole time during cruise and sitting or leaving since I’m not getting paid to do it. 

If I was flying online it would be a different story.

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I fly almost exclusively in the FSEconomy game, every time a complete takeoff and landing in GA planes like a Pilatus PC-12, Twin Otter or helicopter with an hour or hour and a half in cruse on autopilot.

I use time compression in cruise on most of those flights. XP11 can't go higher than 2X time compression on my current rig while staying in full 3D view mode, so it's not the very high TC rates in other sims. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

When one flys in Australia and it can take upto 6 hours from YMML to reach the north and n.western coast Australian on Europe/Asia bound flights then acceleration can be very useful.

I only sometimes use it, if I cannot attend to a flight in real time, and then again only on oceanic hops.  I never use it on domestic hops or flights of less than 2.5 hours.

John

Thanks to all those who have completed the survey. If you haven’t please consider doing it.

Just 46% never use the option. That does surprise me. I thought the more serious simmers would not use acceleration. No criticism. You have your reasons and I didn’t run the survey to act as judge. I was just curious.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I use FSE too. I always accelerate on a long flight over water. I see no reason to stare at the waves for hours. Over land, at least there is scenery to appreciate,

Sue

.. I use time compression when it's necessary for me to do so, but then again I use the save flight function in FSX:SE..Sometimes over long stretches of water I'll watch the weather and sunrise/sunset as it changes.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Always but progressively until Cruising Altitude when finally going MAX = x16, PC more valuable than Sim.

Cheers,