Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Missing Landmarks hopefully return in FSX...

Guest Water Mango

This may sound like a dumb request but I found FS9 losing some of the landmarks that were once present in older versions of FS. I remember seeing Capital Records for example among other landmarks in the LA area. I

Guest tdragger

I'm sure Jason will jump in, but...We're going to add lots of new, unique content. Hooray!Almost certainly there will some object you deem "obvious" that we won't include. Boooo!

oooo, Sounds like an easter egg hunt challenge. Can't wait to see the outdoor music arena and park area where Meigs field used to be. :( :(

Guest Bell206freak

Does this mean I'll finally be able to perfornm a rooftop landing atop the KOMO-TV studios next to the Space Needle? lol.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSs! Unlike so many others who complain that FS is too eye candy focuses, I consider eye candy super importan1! (No wonder I have most third party scenery and environmental enhancements!)

Any of you guys remember the "dead castaway" on Minami-Torishima that was in FS98 or FS2000? He was a half-dead guy on the beach of that tiny island in the North Pacific.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

hopefully this new scenery is all placed accurately, seeing bridges and landmarks in the wrong places with addons like UT USA installed is really disappointing

well, they ARE in the correct place when seen relative to the slightly offset world coordinate system of FS2004 :)It's only when you install addons that change that offset (read, eliminate the error in the world coordinate system) that they are misplaced ;)

Guest tdragger

What is the offset in FS2004?

Guest christian

well, that's rubbish. FS2004 is based on DCW data which has a 1.2km horizontal error and addons improve placement due to smaller errors.Plus there is no offset in FS2004! MS mapped the DCW data correctly, they just can't afford more accurate data (in simple terms), and that's fair enough.Christian

Guest christian

Hi Tom, there is no offset per se in FS2004, that's what Mike is referring to with his question. The FS team is well aware of the fact that the data they use is not 100% accurate (at least I would think so), but more accurate data costs stacks of money (we're taking 6 digit numbers here).Christian

Guest tdragger

True. If you care to engage in a discussion of data sources, resolution, datum projections and so forth, by me a beer (or two) at the next conference. It will take awhile. ;)