Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

New sound improvement

Hi,Since my latest improvement suggestion has not raised great approval, here is one other that I have been thinking of during the past monthes.It deals with the different sounds and the fact that apart from your aircraft engines, the FS world is silent as if we were 10,000 feet under MSL...A nice feature would be to add random or even more action-specific noises, for instance when:- a cargo door on an airliner is activated. Often when we seat on the ground, we can hear the noises of electric engines running when some works is being done in the holds or luggage compartment.- an aircraft is running on a runway centerlines, that produces a significant noise.- and simply some randomly choosen sounds amongst sets of sounds. Let me explain: when you fly, whether you are on your first flight ever or a frequent flyer guy, there are always at one time during the flight a noise that sounds strange: either it be a particular sound this particular aircraft you are on is producing when extending the slats, or a particular noise the aircraft is producing when it is taxiing on cement plates, or a strange noise when the gear is being retracted...Anyway, there are always unsuspected noise aboard. Some sounds scarry, other benign. But still there is always a surprise and that is part of the flying adventure.The problem with FS is that there are never any surprise dealing with noise. We always know what will happen.I think that adding a bit of randomly choosen noise would be most interesting.Cheers,Cedric

Guest tdragger

Hmm. I should get our audio director to start blogging. Anyway, if he were and wanted to respond he'd probably point out that random sounds in a game need to be handled carefully. Many users (appropriately) take sounds as a cue that they need to do something. How does an average user distinguish ambient sounds from indicates of failure, etc. For example, does that scratching sound mean I'll about to get attacked by a monster or it just because I'm wandering through this dungeon?? Audio design is quite an art and not something to approach lightly--that's why we hired a professional to handle audio for FS.It's a good suggestion and we're investing in audio this time around. I just can't say they we'll deliver exactly everything you want.

Nice points!Whilst I was doing my PPL just before christmas I was on one of my first night flights, doing a couple of touch and goes when all of a sudden we heard theis strange rattling sound that didn't sound good just after departure. The instructor and I decided to call it a night and head home.Some random sounds would be great, but its a fair point to say that the average user wouldn't have a clue what they mean. Im sure they could figger out environmental noises after a short while of listening to them :(

Alaister Kay

Guest JohnEGPF

"we're investing in audio this time around"Now that is music to my ears,:-beerchug John

"That is music to the ears"Indeed and that is most appropriate... :-violin

I have most of my stuttering during execution of sound files (touch down tire sound, atc communication start, etc..). Hopefully not too many large files are put in the new sounds effects then!

Guest tdragger

You have no idea...

Guest davidvoogd

I hope there could be some environmental sounds while you are on the ground such as those included with the georender sceneries (crows calling, cars driving down the road etc.). Having this globally would be a nice addition.

>Nice points!>>Whilst I was doing my PPL just before christmas I was on one>of my first night flights, doing a couple of touch and goes>when all of a sudden we heard theis strange rattling sound>that didn't sound good just after departure. The instructor>and I decided to call it a night and head home.>>Some random sounds would be great, but its a fair point to say>that the average user wouldn't have a clue what they mean. Im>sure they could figger out environmental noises after a short>while of listening to them :(>>Uhhhm- so don't leave us hanging :) What happened to the aircraft? Is it still flying with a rattle?

We landed safely about 10 mins later and by that time it had stopped! I had clocked up around 1 hour and 3 or 4 landings anyway so wasn't a big problem. That was the last I heard of it + the plane went in for the standard 100hr check not long after.I'm assuming that with the low visual awareness, other senses pick up things that you wouldn't usually notice.

Alaister Kay