Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Beautiful Spain...

This is one of the most scenic flights I've taken in a while.  A one hour (in my Kodiak) flight from Jarred Marshall's new Orbx Austurius (LEAS) to Bilbao (LEBB)

Westbound along the north shore of Spain.  The Bay of Biscay to the north and rugged mountains to the south.  The first half of the flight many cities and towns, rolling hills, tilled fields, rugged coastline and beaches.  The second half of the flight less urban, rural and closer to the mountains.  Lots of things to see at 3500 feet.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Keep an eye on the temperature gauges, because now Drudge is headlining that manure is exploding in Spain!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Keep an eye on the weather over Biscay too, it is notorious for storms. I'm actually flying to Spain later today, so I'm sure there'll be some turbulence over there!

Fun fact about Biscay: During the Napoleonic wars, when the British Fleet was blockading French and Spanish ports, a situation which eventually ended up with the Battle of Trafalgar, Royal Navy ships and English privateers with a Letter of Marque, would patrol Biscay looking for French and Spanish blockade runners. Since at this time there was no love lost between the English and the Americans, US privateers would also patrol there sometimes, looking for English privateers. Since this was in the days of sail, everything had to be identified visually through telescopes, but in those days, many ships would fly false flags as a 'ruse de guerre', which was deemed to be an acceptable practice so long as you put up the correct flag of your nation before you ended up actually firing your cannons.

In spite of ships of all nations doing this sort of sneaky false flag trick fairly often, in an attempt to be able to get closer to enemies, or fool them into thinking you were a friendly, one of the things which would give a French or Spanish ship away to RN ships or English privateers when viewed from a long distance through a telescope, was the fact that ships which sailed from ports on the Bay of Biscay would often have a cut down jib mast, one which was considerably shorter than most regular ships would have; this was done frequently with ships which spent a lot of their time in Biscay, so they would steer a bit better in the frequent stormy weather there, so it was quite a useful way to identify a French or Spanish ship.

This is where the English phrase: 'I don't like the cut of his jib' originates from. That's a pretty cool fact, isn't it?

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Keep an eye on the weather over Biscay too, it is notorious for storms. I'm actually flying to Spain later today, so I'm sure there'll be some turbulence over there!

Fun fact about Biscay: During the Napoleonic wars, when the British Fleet was blockading French and Spanish ports, a situation which eventually ended up with the Battle of Trafalgar, Royal Navy ships and English privateers with a Letter of Marque, would patrol Biscay looking for French and Spanish blockade runners. Since at this time there was no love lost between the English and the Americans, US privateers would also patrol there sometimes, looking for English privateers. Since this was in the days of sail, everything had to be identified visually through telescopes, but in those days, many ships would fly false flags as a 'ruse de guerre', which was deemed to be an acceptable practice so long as you put up the correct flag of your nation before you ended up actually firing your cannons.

In spite of ships of all nations doing this sort of sneaky false flag trick fairly often, in an attempt to be able to get closer to enemies, or fool them into thinking you were a friendly, one of the things which would give a French or Spanish ship away to RN ships or English privateers when viewed from a long distance through a telescope, was the fact that ships which sailed from ports on the Bay of Biscay would often have a cut down jib mast, one which was considerably shorter than most regular ships would have; this was done frequently with ships which spent a lot of their time in Biscay, so they would steer a bit better in the frequent stormy weather there, so it was quite a useful way to identify a French or Spanish ship.

This is where the English phrase: 'I don't like the cut of his jib' originates from. That's a pretty cool fact, isn't it?

Very interesting, amazing how many well known sayings do originate from seafarers.  The Ruse de Guerre didn't entirely die out in Napoleonic era....   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_between_HMAS_Sydney_and_German_auxiliary_cruiser_Kormoran

Anyway, the sun's well over the yard-arm so you know where I'm going next.

ngxu_banner.png

On 6/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, Fielder said:

Keep an eye on the temperature gauges, because now Drudge is headlining that manure is exploding in Spain!

..it happens :tongue: :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It's very hot in Spain tonight, that's for sure!

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 hours ago, Chock said:

It's very hot in Spain tonight, that's for sure!

THE RAIYNE IN SPAYINE FALLS MAIYNLY ON THE PLAIYN!   (how is my accent?)

That whole Galicia / Asturias area is pretty scenic to fly in.  One route I've done before is Pau (Pyrenees) in France, then head south and west into Spain.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As Three Dog Night so eloquently said:

Well I've never been to Spain

But I kinda like their music

😁😁

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals