Sign in to follow this  
aerofan

X-Plane 11 backgroud usage and savings

Hi everyone!

After 10 years of FSX and P3D I decided to buy a copy of X-Plane 11. First, I have to say that it looks so much better than P3D, even without add-ons.

However, there are some things that really bother me and kind of jeopardize the experience:

1. Every plane needs aileron trim adjustments. I'm a PPL pilot and I often fly with my PA28. I never noticed such behavior IRL.

2. When I minimize XP11 to the taskbar, the sim keeps sucking performances as it if was open. This is bothering when flying long-hauls and I want to work on some stuff while cruising. On the other hand, with P3D you can notice that the sim significantly reduce it's performance impact when minimized.

3. Since I don't have much time, but still enjoys long-hauls, in P3D I can save a flight along with the panel state of the aircraft (PMDGs and Aerosoft Airbus). This does not seem to be possible in XP11.

Any suggestions on how to address these issues?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, aerofan said:

2. When I minimize XP11 to the taskbar, the sim keeps sucking performances as it if was open. This is bothering when flying long-hauls and I want to work on some stuff while cruising. On the other hand, with P3D you can notice that the sim significantly reduce it's performance impact when minimized.

When I want to use other applications while X-plane is running, I open task manager, right click on X-plane under processes and click 'go to details', then right click again and select affinity mask. Check all except core 0. This frees up one core for other applications which I find helpful and does not seem to negatively affect the performance in X-Plane. Granted I have hyperthreading enabled and thus 7 cores still available to X-Plane.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

1) XP does not take the lateral position of payloads into account, which might be factor at play here compared to real aircraft.

2) Don't you have an alternate device like a laptop that you can work on?

3) Saving complete panel states is only possible with a few select add-on airplanes and the default saving system does not allow for saving while in the air. There is nothing you can do about the latter.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thank you very much for your answers. Unluckily I don't have another laptop to use, and on top of that, I'm not sure if it is ok for the system to frequently run at 80/90% of its capability for long periods.

2 hours ago, aerofan said:

I'm not sure if it is ok for the system to frequently run at 80/90% of its capability for long periods.

As long as component temperatures stay well below their limits, this should not be a problem.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days