fs10.jpg

capture16.jpg

fs11.jpg

seattle.jpg

Edited by 188AHC
Remove 2 excess pics.
  • Like 33
  • Upvote 6

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Some shots show a startling difference between the 2 sims but also, it shows that FSX wasn't half bad.

Jime

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Seeing this just makes me more excited!

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

And even with my P3Dv4 setup with ORBX Europe scenery, Pilot's mesh, PTA, Active Sky etc. it doesn't come close:

p3d2.jpg

capture10-1.jpg

p3d1.jpg

capture11.jpg

Edited by simmerhead
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Wow! its astounding to see the difference side by side.  I may not like it but Id pay 10 bucks a month if I had to.

(We probably wont)

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 things:

1 - good work, and it’s really interesting to see where the massive improvements are, and what looked sort of ok before. 

2 - FSX isn’t bad for a 13 year old bit of software, bless the old girl. 

• Like 1

I think I like the new one vs the old one 😂

• Like 5

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ever since the trailer came out I've been comparing what I see in P3Dv4 with what we'll likely get with MSFS.  

Most of my flights have been over areas that wouldn't be affected by the new technology.  I did a flight through Cairo and the improvement is obvious in the trailer.  My original flight plan didn't take me over the Pyramids so I did a slight diversion, as you can't fly that close to a major landmark without checking it out.

The next flight was from Cairo to Athens.  The islands were scenic enough, and could be improved by better textures and more detailed meshes, but how much difference are we talking about here?  Landing at LGAV I was too busy managing the plane and navigating to do much sightseeing, so I probably wouldn't notice any improvements.  If I wanted to explore Athens, I'd have to do it in another aircraft, and the last time I was there this is exactly what I did.

My next flight will be to Rome.  Flying Athens to Rome in FSX (and P3Dv2.5) was an invitation to an out of memory error, so a jump to 64 bit eliminates that problem, as it did with P3Dv4.  

The biggest improvement I can expect is flying over desert regions where the textures would be better.  There will undoubtedly be others.

But like others have mentioned, FSX wasn't all that bad, and P3Dv4 was quite an improvement over FSX, even without add-ons. 

Interesting times ahead in any case.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

FSX:fs2.jpg

P3D:
p3d2.jpg

While it does appear better, I've always felt that P3D is just FSX+, an incremental improvement. Adding products such as FlyTampa's Las Vegas or Drzewiecki Design's Seattle X has improved it to appear more life-like, yet I've never felt that it was a transformative experience. 

I feel that will change once FS2020 arrives.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Very instructive and helpful. Do any of the shots of FSX include UTX, GEX, Autogen upgrades, and something like Genesis?

Thank you all.

Rick

Edited by Wink207

I hope it has good hdr implementation too. I’ve just bought the new f1 game and the difference it makes can be extremely immersive. E.g. driving around Austria yesterday, the weather was partly cloudy with bright sunshine in parts of the track. Moving from an overcast part, round a corner into a brilliant sunshine bit is quite dramatic. It made me feel warm it was so convincing!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the screenshot comparisons, i think the difference between a game from 2006, a further improvement of said game engine and a (hopefully) new engine we see now is quite evident.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."