Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Airbus stick - best price/quality ratio?

Hello everyone,

I currently use Saitek X52 and Saitek throttle quadrant for flying my FsLabs A320. But I bought both of them second hand a few years back when I had still been a student (so no money to buy new ones).

Lately I have been noticing that the X52 stick isn't performing well at all... Weird spikes, I am basically unable to perform a smooth landing. It's not responsive at all.

Therefore - time to move on I think. The question is, what are my options? I am keeping the throttle quadrant (it's a part of the Saitek Yoke - which is hidden behing my monitor 🙂) because there is almost nothing wrong with it and I like it. I only need new stick (and possibly pedals, mine are pretty old too).

My budget? Hard to say without seeing the options. Let's work with $1000 (maximum, not optimal).

What I have found so far:

Logitech X56 H.O.T.A.S. VR RGB ($250) This is supposedly a new product from Logitech (grey). Anyone have any experience with it? The price is OK and looks good too. I could use it not only for Airbuses, but also military, helicopters and other planes.
Is it left hand friendly? I like to fly from the Captain's perspective (no problems there with X52).

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog ($500) Double the price and it seems that it's focus mainly on military ops. Right? I don't think that is the way to go, but just so I don't miss anything. Why is it double the price of X56?

ACC AIR.CRAFT.CONTROLS. - A320PROSRV2.0 SIDESTICK USB (https://secure.simmarket.com/acc-aircraft-controls-a320prosrv2.0-sidestick-usb.phtml) This is one that I've been looking at the most. I mean, it looks great and I could use it for any Airbus that comes out in the future (please be it A380 🙂). Of course the price is higher but it feels more professional than any HOTAS.
I am confused, though, about the bottom part. Do I need some other thing to put this into? I don't think it can just be attached to a table.
Do you fellas have any experience with this product? Is it worth the money?

I am open to other ideas, of course 🙂 . Thank you for any tip!

Tomas

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

I have a warthog hotas and it’s amazing.  Solid construction, and works great for both p3d and DCS if you’re into that.

I fly the FSLabs Airbus a lot using this stick and the throttle combo.  It has many switches and buttons that you can configure through LINDA to perform lots of functions, ie lights, wipers, engine start etc.

I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a good stick.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

5 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I have a warthog hotas and it’s amazing.  Solid construction, and works great for both p3d and DCS if you’re into that.

I fly the FSLabs Airbus a lot using this stick and the throttle combo.  It has many switches and buttons that you can configure through LINDA to perform lots of functions, ie lights, wipers, engine start etc.

I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a good stick.

Thanks. Can I fly it with left hand though?

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Hmm good question, it is likely oriented to right hand usage. 

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yeah, so anyone has any experience with mentioned sticks with left hand? 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

I can't use my warthog in my left hand, it just doesn't fit comfortably and I'd say the same for any hotas really. They are shaped for right hand and the throttle for the left and there is not much you can do about it.

I'd either go for the airbus stick or try and find a stand alone stick that looks ambidextrous.

Chris

• Like 1

You need to buy the base plate (black box) separate as I read it.😳🤔🤯 make your own out of wood and paint. Make it telescopic for height adjustment.

i had the left/right problem with the warthog and yes you would struggle to use the buttons switches with right hand on throttle.(Thumb switches)

but for price vs value I think it’s unbeatable, had it years and still 100% perfect. No spikes at all. Hall sensors used. Didn’t see that offered on that way overpriced joystick ? (my opinion).

Had to adapt to the left hand throttle right seat for the big jets. I have a very mixed hanger so although not perfect for the big jets, it’s a very good all rounder. (I.E P51, left hand throttle)

Luke Pype

Hi Thomas,

as Joystick, the Thrustmaster T.16000 has two advantages:
- Contactless HALL Sensors (they will never wear)
- can be configured for left and right hand.

As a Throttle unit, i would take the Logitech/Saitek Throttle Quadrant.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I have both the HOTAS Warthog and the T.16000M.  The Warthog is a very good stick/throttle combo, but it is essentially unusable if you want a left-hand stick/right-hand throttle configuration.  I use it for DCS World on a separate machine.

The T.16000M is easily converted to left-hand use, and the twist-axis has proven very useful in my FSL airbus config as a steering tiller.  It comes equipped with Hall Effect magnetic sensors on the X-Y-Z axes, and a pot slider for the throttle.  IMHO, at $50, it's the best bang for the buck out there in the joystick space.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm currently using left-hand T16000M (with addition 4-way hat and 2 buttons I added on top) for both airbus and boeing,  and sometimes BMS F16...

For right hand I had the saitek/logitech throttle set with addition TO/GA and AT DIC button modification.

The biggist problem with T16K is it lack of buttons on top, But if you fly only Airbus, it's ok

Also, T16K is not as accurate as it state, the HALL sensor is stlightly wiggling near the center, makes slight adjustment (like in approach) not feels so well, and mechanically it's not smooth enough for accurate input.

I'm looking for a $500 range ambidextrous\left stick, for better mechanical smoothness, but I couldn't find one yet, I'm thinking to make my own grip head for warthog now, just enought buttons for things like Boeing(2PTT, 2Trim, and 1 AP DIC,maybe some for ATC then,) I need to fly with left hand , for F-16 I could just swich back to right hand grip.

========================

EDIT:Then I find VKB Gunfighter Mk.II ‘Space Combat Edition’ has light hand version, that could be promising, I would give it a try.

Edited by C2615
New info

If you have the budget and it looks like you do.

For rudders and braking Thrustmaster TPR, all metal HALL sensors just bought them and there another world. Stunning. I also downloaded the TARGET software, made a P3D profile, added a good curve to both the brake axis for the FSL. Works very well if you find the braking in the FSL on the harsh side in default. 

I fly nothing but the FSL within P3D, If the warthog bothers you fly the FSL from the FO seat. Personly it really does not bother me as the Warthog is an amazing bit of kit. Please bear in mind on the throttle on the warthog it has a great range of movement, thus giving great control.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I got my VKB  SCG-L, it's just fantastic!

It's for left hand, It's for left hand, IT'S FOR LEFT HAND!

Don't use it's default "10" cam, it's too fuzzy at center, just change it to the "30" cam came with package, and with 40lbs spring, it feels very close to the real airbus one (Ok, the Level-D simulator one, to be precis).

I just use back to 30\20 spring since I didn't fix it in place, still, it's mach better than T16000m, for sure.

I would recommend the VPC WarBRD Base  from VIRPIL Controls https://virpil-controls.eu/shop/bases.html

Forget about the expensive Thrustmaster because the Joystickbase from VIRPIL and all it´s mechanics is complete made of metal, very sturdy and precise feeling. The Thrustmaster mechanic inside is not bad, but it´s still Plastik. You get also a software for the VIRPIL where you can fine tune all of the axes up to you likes. Instead of the Grip´s vom VIRPIL you can put a A320 Grip (left or right) onto it. 

I think you guess already that i´am really satisfied of this very great piece of hardware, because it´s feels like the real one in the aircraft. 

The VPC from VIRPIL and the also suggested SCG from VKB are very similar. The VKB one is made in China (HongKong), what doesn´t mean it isn´t good, while the VIRPIL is made in Letvenia (former Russia) and Letvenia is even member of the EU.  

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif