Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Speaking my mind

Great post, Ian. I love British humor, really I do.I think I did once hear of the Battle of Britain. That was the title of an old Hollywood war flick, wasn't it? (The Army-dominated American military history community still refuses to recognize that such a battle occurred, since it does not lend itself to a historic and poignant portrait of a dashing saber-wielding general mounted on a horse.)True, we didn't show up for a while, but we did ship you gents something like $31 billion in war material beginning in March of '41...even before Tojo peed in our Wheaties on Dec 7th."In the end we got the right result, which is what mattered."Right...the right result...we freed the French. We need to talk.And believe it or not, some of us Yanks still look on the British as friends... :-)CheerioBob Scott

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Indeed it does. The word 'Britain' in a WW2 context should always be taken to include the huge contribution of the 'Commonwealth' nations - principally Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India and South Africa - but many other smaller places as well.Ian

Guest Toni Rauch

Bob,"....And believe it or not, some of us Yanks still look on the British as friends..."Of course you look on us as friends - that's the least you can do after borrowing our language, trying to re-invent it, and then forgetting to give it back! ;-) (And without the French being free, the popular phrase "Big Mac & Fries" would probably have been "Big Mac & Mash"!!!)Vive La Difference!Toni.

>Great post Philip and I think you hit the nail on the head as>to what people (including myself) do when they sit down and>write something... Everything I say is taken the wrong way so>I'm used to it. This very email is going to be taken the>wrong way as well... :-roll DillonSo what you're saying is that I .............:-)Just joking ;-)Best regards!http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest glnflwrs

Three cheers for Mr. Olson for having the mind and will to attempt what he has so humanely attempted, to wit: to bring about a more brotherly, more respective atmosphere here at our beloved AVSIM.I, too, have pondered over the words I should use, worried about the feelings I could offend, and just decided not to make the attempt. But, again, three big cheers for Philip and his modest nobility.We pilots, even if only virtually in some cases, are a thinking lot, and I mean deep thinkers. It's a commonly known fact that pilots are above average in their mental capabilities and we are all proud of ourselves and our achievements. But couldn't and shouldn't we be equally proud of the comrades we have here and strive treat each other not as equals but as just a bit superior to our own selves? After all, there is probably not an aviation, physics, computer, or even psychological quandry that can not, in my estimation, be solved surely by the members and staff here at AVSIM.We, possibly, are in the forest and don't see the trees, but if one were to leave and not visit AVSIM for, say, thirty days, and instead visit and attempt to find a better, more perfect site to join you would be sorely disappointed. It just doesn't exist. Why? Because there is only one Tom A., only one Philip Olson, only one Ken Salter, and only one of each of us, and we are all here.Let's make the very best of that, what.Oh, if it wasn't for the "tea sippers" there'd be no USA. Where d'ya think we got all our ideas and attitudes? God bless the UK and thank Him for giving them what we got from 'em. And, thank God for the Hawker Hurricane and her pilots.

Guest Toni Rauch

The Spitfire and Wellington and their crews did a pretty good job too! (Tally Ho. :-))Toni.

>there is probably not an aviation, physics, computer, or>even psychological quandry that can not, in my estimation, be>solved surely by the members and staff here at AVSIM.Oh YEAH??!! Then tell me: what's the velocity of a swallow?>We, possibly, are in the forest and don't see the trees, but>if one were to leave and not visit AVSIM for, say, thirty>days, and instead visit and attempt to find a better, more>perfect site to join you would be sorely disappointed. It just>doesn't exist. OK, no argument here. But part of what makes it perfect is the fact that you can have a raucous, back-slapping, in-your-face thrashing of an issue here.>Oh, if it wasn't for the "tea sippers" there'd be no USA.Holy Black Pekoe! My aversion to tea-sipping girly-men has nothing to do with the British. I refer to those who don't drink fire-water or smoke smelly ceegars, and who spend too much of their time in group therapy sessions trying to figure out why we can't all just solve our differences with a big group hug.>Where d'ya think we got all our ideas and attitudes? Dang, you're right! I think it WAS King George that came up with that "Libert

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest dsflyer

>Oh YEAH??!! Then tell me: what's the velocity of a swallow?Depends, do you mean the European or African swallow?:-) CheersDan

Guest Toni Rauch

Ariane - did someone mention Ariane....? ;-) Toni.(p.s. What's wrong with sipping tea? :) )

How about making this thread a sticky?Mike