Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

R&D Presets VS Orbx Global Buildings HD VS Default textures

Hello Pete,

its called "Orbx Buildings HD" and it puts itself with 0005 Base

Edited by Reader

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

its called "Orbx Buildings HD" and it puts itself with 0005 Base

That's odd. I searched the Add-Ons CFG for both Orbx and Buildings (separately) with no results. I must have been looking in the wrong place. "Orbx" only found Objectflow 2.

Never mind.  Now I see it in AddonOrganizer I'm okay, a happy bunny! 😉

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

19 hours ago, jlund said:

Thanks for the comparison shots, that really convinced me NOT to get any of them, I can see the orbx night shots looks better, but I'm very disappointed with the daytime shots, and that goes for both RD and ORBX. After a couple of flights, I really don't think people will notice the difference anymore, and especially for me who mostly fly heavies and fast jets, it'll be a waste of money.

I don't always fly way up there but it still looks like a waste of money.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I guess if one owned a P3D4 DODO Huey it would be okay.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

While I mainly fly airliners in the levels like a lot of you, I can't deny that region-specific autogen is making for great immersion when departing and arriving in airports far from home.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

21 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

While I mainly fly airliners in the levels like a lot of you, I can't deny that region-specific autogen is making for great immersion when departing and arriving in airports far from home.

Which one do you own?

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

6 hours ago, pmb said:

That's all true, but I still don't understand why there was no question upon first start if I will allow usage like it is with other addon-xml addons.

Kind regards, Michael

P3D will only do that for addons that use the autodiscovery method (add-on.xml in Documents\Prepar3D V4 Add-ons). Those packages are listed in C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

This new addon from ORBX has probably been installed via P3D CLI (like SODE for example), or added to the reference file directly (I hope not - should use the CLI). These addons are referenced in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg. P3D doesn't ask if you want to activate those, they are considered to be there by choice since you installed them (and they are not discovered "accidentally" like the first process does it)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

4 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

That's odd. I searched the Add-Ons CFG for both Orbx and Buildings (separately) with no results. I must have been looking in the wrong place. "Orbx" only found Objectflow 2.

Never mind.  Now I see it in AddonOrganizer I'm okay, a happy bunny! 😉

Pete

Hello Pete,

take a look at "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg"

[Package.0]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\Scripts\BuildingsHD
Title=Orbx Buildings HD
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Best regards

LORBY-SI

11 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

P3D will only do that for addons that use the autodiscovery method (add-on.xml in Documents\Prepar3D V4 Add-ons). Those packages are listed in C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

This new addon from ORBX has probably been installed via P3D CLI (like SODE for example), or added to the reference file directly (I hope not - should use the CLI). These addons are referenced in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg. P3D doesn't ask if you want to activate those, they are considered to be there by choice since you installed them (and they are not discovered "accidentally" like the first process does it)

Best regards

In my case, the add-on.xml ist sitting in the simulator under

J:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\Scripts\BuildingsHD

It makes indeed an entry under

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

Honestly, I find these config files wildly scattered around a bit disturbing, but at least the HD buildings do works.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

23 minutes ago, pmb said:

I find these config files wildly scattered around a bit disturbing,

No, they are exactly where they need to be. Windows handles multiple user accounts, so the config file system of every app needs to reflect the fact that stuff that you install or configure may not be accessible to another user.

Hence one add-ons.cfg file in AppData, which handles all addon references in your \Documents\ folder - which only your user account can access! And another one for all addons that theoretically can be accessed by every user account on the computer (= ProgramData).

All this is exactly as per Windows guidelines - at least as far as P3D itself is concerned. Of course, addon developers can destroy that inherent logic at their leisure when they are not careful where they install what and how it is referenced.

But when used correctly, this logic is a great asset. Theoretically you can have several completely different P3D setups, simply by creating several user accounts. Every user can configure P3D differently, since every user has his own AppData folder and Documents folder. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

25 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

No, they are exactly where they need to be. Windows handles multiple user accounts, so the config file system of every app needs to reflect the fact that stuff that you install or configure may not be accessible to another user.

My point was not against files under AppData or the Douments folder which is okay. I was under the impression all add-on.xml files should live under 

C:\Users\[profile]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

but now I find them (at least this one) within the sim itself which makes things more varied, at lest for the non-insider.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 minutes ago, pmb said:

My point was not against files under AppData or the Douments folder which is okay. I was under the impression all add-on.xml files should live under 

C:\Users\[profile]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

but now I find them (at least this one) within the sim itself which makes things more varied, at lest for the non-insider.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes well, "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" is one of the two options to properly reference addons to P3D. But it isn't by any means mandatory. As an alternative to autodiscovery, a developer can install addons using the P3D CLI (command line interface), and with that method, the add-on.xml can be anywhere. SODE does the same thing btw.

Both methods are described in the Learning Center.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

2 hours ago, reecemj said:

Which one do you own?

Orbx.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Glad I seen these shots first before deciding anything. The decision will now be neither of them, there doesn't looks a whole lot of difference to me.

15 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

take a look at "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg"

Oh, there's one of those there too? I searched the one in my AppData\Roaming folder.

I really do think L-M have made all this rather over-complicated. I assume the one in AppData is for the current user, and the one in ProgramData is for everyone.  But not many add-ons offer the choice during installation in any case!

Thanks,
Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen