Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

R&D Presets VS Orbx Global Buildings HD VS Default textures

Hi folks,

Here is a small comparison between textures in Europe (only).
Please note:

1) The sim is paused so fps are not relevant.
2) Comparison is done with R&D presets 4K

GENEVA DEFAULTgmh5Rb.jpg

GENEVA RDEGOHYO.jpg

GENEVA ORBXJYKPQx.jpg

MALAGA DEFAULT
vogx4S.jpg

MALAGA RDk9iHSQ.jpg

MALAGA ORBX
xE8vw6.jpg

NAPOLI DEFAULTfzKKls.jpg

NAPOLI RDGTWual.jpg

NAPOLI ORBX
QVjp5R.jpg

TOULOUSE DEFAULT
iL11kZ.jpg

TOULOUSE RDZco6Ti.jpg

TOULOUSE ORBX
QZR3Ge.jpg

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

And now, much more interesting, night textures.

GENEVA DEFAULT
doAcj1.jpg

GENEVA RD
qfpkQ8.jpg

GENEVA ORBX
WJKBsD.jpg

MALAGA DEFAULT
8ExEAU.jpg

MALAGA RD
SooHcI.jpg

MALAGA ORBX
xT13Kc.jpg

NAPOLI DEFAULT
2hhS1K.jpg

NAPOLI RD
blgZGV.jpg

NAPOLI ORBX
7CptLA.jpg

TOULOUSE DEFAULT
cOkVdd.jpg

TOULOUSE RD
8UoqzJ.jpg

TOULOUSE ORBX
SwOdW0.jpg

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 7

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

ORBX did a fabulous job and their new textures are just awesome and much nicer and innovating than anything else.
Reducing them to lower resolution would help though, because the 4K is eating frames for breakfast.
Particularly if you max out building autogen!
R&D textures are a nice addition compared to default and they offer the resolution's choice.
But IMO they are far behind ORBX in Europe at least.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Best regards,
David Roch

David, many thanks for your comparisons.

For me it now wil be Orbx. 

Regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hmm, I have to be honest I was a bit "meh" with the difference in daytime shots, but I do like the improvement in the night textures. Thanks for taking the time to post comparisons.

• Like 5

- Aaron

Orbx is a bit more detail. But RD is not bad. I think i'll give RD a try first. Thanks for the comparisons.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Thanks for the comparison shots, that really convinced me NOT to get any of them, I can see the orbx night shots looks better, but I'm very disappointed with the daytime shots, and that goes for both RD and ORBX. After a couple of flights, I really don't think people will notice the difference anymore, and especially for me who mostly fly heavies and fast jets, it'll be a waste of money.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Part of the reason why I'm not impressed with the day pics is that I fly mainly in FTX regions and payware airports. I'm used to seeing quality custom objects.

The night shots do make a huge difference and for that reason I might get ORBX version. But, if there are pauses or distant loading textures have gotten worse, the answer is hell no!

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I think I'll wait until Orbx has HD Buildings on sale with 40/50% off in 6 months or so, it looks as though this isn't as groundbreakingbreaking as I first thought, plus in 6 months we'll have more info on MSFS2020, so I may not bother at all yet.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Wonderful comparison, thank you! It seems to me that the primary reason to get Orbx is for the vastly improved night textures. Those are just miles ahead of both RD and default! Truly brilliant!

i agree with others though. I’ll not bother for full price and wait for a sale of sorts. The daytime difference doesn’t seem like a big enough difference given that I really mostly fly tubeliners.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Well, i have an 8 year old (so it's really old) PC, but hadn't experienced slower loading times. FPS also remain the same (stable 25-30 fps) as before, so with your beasts (that all cost 2k+), i don't see any reason FPS or loading times would deteriorate. And since the cost of this new upgrade is only 2% max of your computer's price, i don't understand the price argument either. I'm really enjoying VFR (GA) flying, so visuals play big role for me and i have like most of Europe, Oceania and NA covered with ORBX and other sceneries and airports, so it never came to my mind not to buy this new package. It costs like 4 beers or one T-bone, so no-brainer really. If you however fly jetliners (and i guess you do since with GA planes you wouldn't be complaining about fps) you might skip this one. 

Anyway, enjoy flying with or without GB HD whatever and wherever you fly. 

Edited by AndrejS
  • Like 2

Win 7 Home (SP1), i7 2600@3.4, RAM 16gb, gtx 1080 Ti, ssd disks, DELL U2715H

P3d ver 4.5.12.30293, TrackIr v5, T16000M + TWCS

2 hours ago, jlund said:

Thanks for the comparison shots, that really convinced me NOT to get any of them, I can see the orbx night shots looks better, but I'm very disappointed with the daytime shots, and that goes for both RD and ORBX. After a couple of flights, I really don't think people will notice the difference anymore, and especially for me who mostly fly heavies and fast jets, it'll be a waste of money.

For me I think it does make a noticeable upgrade to the autogen, and I even have gotten a little better performance.  I also noticed faster autogen loading and less pop-in.  I realize not everyone will have the same experience, but I wanted to share mine.

• Upvote 1

Alan

Just saw a youtube video with the new orbx HD buildings, tested in Tokyo, Paris and Mumbai, and the tester seemed very pleased with it. I still don't see that much difference from standard autogen, and even if it comes on a 50% sale at sometime, I won't be adding it to my addons. And for tubeliner pilots (like me), I really think it will be a waste of money. I'm a fan of ORBX, but I think this one is not up to their usual standard, and I DO understand there's a big difference from making a "small" region to doing the whole world, but .....still..

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Well, I got it yesterday with the discount! And to me it is well worth it, the textures are crisper and the improved FPS is worth its price alone.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.