Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Smarter ATC in FSX...

Guest tdragger

Actually the ATC system in FS is (for the most part) the work of one person.

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Peter what we need is the ability to get at things like the voice routines so that the add-on community can simply add the right voices and calls to say several world regions I.E Europe etc so that one calls "London Control" "London director" while in U.K. and (arrival here in Canada) as examples. I hope that the team will be able to at least give to community the needed tools to implement much of what we out side of the U.S would like to see (and hear) in the sim in reguards to ATC. I beleve that the team will be adding things like the correct runway markings to runways out side of the U.S. so we should be getting vectored to say runway 09L rather than 9L as an example. As for SIDS and STARS I too think that by adding the above to the included database that would go a long way to makeing the ATC more "true to life" for us all. Like I and others have asked if the team does not have the time to add the above then give us the tools to do it and it will I beleve get done. Then the development team can bring their great talents to things like weather engine mprovements, lighing and other complex visuals that we all hope to see in the sim as well. Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario.

Guest Rayed

For some reasons my other post disappeared..Anyway..I'd say leave ATC alone, most of people who fly FS don't care. I'd rather see kangaroos or people on beaches ;)But, give addon-developers a programming interface to do that (for example - let them control AI in better way than and allow scenery navaid database to be updated in some way or another - ie. make the format of it well documented and open.

I second that idea, Rayed. Core components such as the graphics engine and the flight model are key components that only the MS team can make right. Other things such as ultra-realistic ATC, high detail scenery, etc. would be nice to have in the core product, but may not be feasible given the mainstream market and resource budget. Furthermore, one implementation of a component will probably never satisfy everyone. However, with good API's for multiplayer, traffic injection, "official" FSUIPC, the sky is the limit :-> For example, you can have VoxATC, or Radar Contact, VATSIM, or whatever. And at the end of the day, if you still have a "special need" that is not satisfied, just roll your own! :)Cheers,Rich

>Actually the ATC system in FS is (for the most part) the work>of one person.So Mike, what has that one person been up to for the last couple of years? :-)

One of the reasons given for the shutdown of DAFIF to the public is that it was publishing copyright information and some copyright owners objected. Given that situation, Microsoft equally would not be able to use that information without permission of the copyright owners and without paying for it. I suspect its not very high on Microsoft's list.EDITThe information's not cheap either. The Aerad IFR Manuals coivering Europe cost over

>Actually the ATC system in FS is (for the most part) the work>of one person.Give that person a raise! :D David

Guest EdrickV

Don't know if it is exactly what you want, but EditVoicePack for FS2004 can change the FAA style phraseology in FS2004 to ICAO phraseology. It's an either-or thing though. Can't have FAA in the US and ICAO elsewhere. And the FAA version has some changes too. (Like including wind in takeoff/landing messages.) You can't add procedures that don't exist, but you can edit what it does say for the existing phrases. I tried the ICAO version (by accident) and hearing ATC telling me to "line up and wait" seemed rather strange. :) And it's apparently possible to make your own phraseology if you really want to."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."