I hope this  is the right forum to post. 

I've procrastinated for years buying a head tracking device. I don't like the idea to have to shift my eyes 45° back to the left/right after having turned my head that much (poor eyesight). 

What I wonder is whether a large monitor would help. I sim with a 28" right now. Would going to 40/50"  size  feel more natural ? 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Hi Dominique,

I use a VRI HatTrack Head tracking device 6 DOF on a 24" flat panel LED monitor, Emitter atop the monitor, Sensor Reciever attached to the left side of my head set. Only wish I could the more reliable more expensive option of Track IR.

Since head tracking devices are only tracking the head position in relation to what is in front of the wearer it does not affect the vision, you can lean in to get a closer look at an instrument then lean back to focus out the front view or left and right. It does not track eye movement, it is just tracking the position between the IR sensor (3 points) and the IR emitter relative to the view position.

That being said, a larger screen might help with overall immersion, but probably won't overly improve the Head Tracking device functionality beyond the design.

Edited by Jethro

24 minutes ago, Jethro said:

Hi Dominique,

I use a VRI HatTrack Head tracking device 6 DOF on a 24" flat panel LED monitor, Emitter atop the monitor, Sensor Reciever attached to the left side of my head set. Only wish I could the more reliable more expensive option of Track IR.

Since head tracking devices are only tracking the head position in relation to what is in front of the wearer it does not affect the vision, you can lean in to get a closer look at an instrument then lean back to focus out the front view or left and right. It does not track eye movement, it is just tracking the position between the IR sensor (3 points) and the IR emitter relative to the view position.

That being said, a larger screen might help with overall immersion, but probably won't overly improve the Head Tracking device functionality beyond the design.

Thanks Jethro, appreciated.

If you want to look at your left wing with a Head Tracking Device, you turn the head left. To look at the center of the physical screen, you have to move your eyes to the right keeping the head still to the left. This is a least what I understand. For various reasons, I don't think I'd like that very much. 

I may be totally wrong, but with  a larger screen I would turn my head and the eyes should be still on the screen without shifting them, on the left side but still on the screen.  

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

If you want to look at your left wing with a Head Tracking Device, you turn the head left. To look at the center of the physical screen, you have to move your eyes to the right keeping the head still to the left. This is a least what I understand. For various reasons, I don't think I'd like that very much.

Can you read this message while shaking your head? If so you can use a head tracker.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Can you read this message while shaking your head? If so you can use a head tracker.

This aint my favorite way of reading 😀, to say it mildly.

Dominique

4 hours ago, domkle said:

This aint my favorite way of reading 😀, to say it mildly.

I'm not sure what relevance that has, but the point is you are over-thinking something you already do naturally. Of course it's a compromise but if you set it up correctly it will be fine. TrackIR gives you complete control over the motion scaling curves in all six degrees of freedom. If you genuinely want to be able to look at the wings, a large monitor is in any case not an alternative, you would need a wraparound multi-screen display. Of course the best compromise of all is a large monitor and head tracker, which means you can use less motion scaling and tune it more finely for what you want to see.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

9 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

I'm not sure what relevance that has, but the point is you are over-thinking something you already do naturally. Of course it's a compromise but if you set it up correctly it will be fine. TrackIR gives you complete control over the motion scaling curves in all six degrees of freedom. If you genuinely want to be able to look at the wings, a large monitor is in any case not an alternative, you would need a wraparound multi-screen display. Of course the best compromise of all is a large monitor and head tracker, which means you can use less motion scaling and tune it more finely for what you want to see.

Don't assume too much without knowing my vision problems 😉. Thank you anyway  for taking the time, really appreciated.

Dominique

Just my opinion: the thing is expensive and gives me a headache. It give a sense of motion in a light plane, like being knocked around a bit but most of the time I have it turned of. I rather pan around my larger aircraft cockpit with my Logitech mouse. I have the space bar programed to the left mouse button and pan and or zoom where ever I want. Keeps things much simpler and there's a lot of other stuff you can buy for $150. I use two 28" monitors buy the way. I use OPUS FSI camera for present camera views and head motion.

Vic green

6 minutes ago, domkle said:

Don't assume too much without knowing my vision problems 😉.

Then just say what they are and we won't have to guess.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Just now, PATCO LCH said:

Just my opinion: the thing is expensive and gives me a headache. It give a sense of motion in a light plane, like being knocked around a bit but most of the time I have it turned of. I rather pan around my larger aircraft cockpit with my Logitech mouse. I have the space bar programed to the left mouse button and pan and or zoom where ever I want. Keeps things much simpler and there's a lot of other stuff you can buy for $150. I use two 28" monitors buy the way. I use OPUS FSI camera for present camera views and head motion.

I find that again and again, people buying the device to let gather dust on a shelf. People complaining of headache or motion sickness.  

I agree with you that it not really needed in P3D, except maybe for chopper. But I feel there is a need in DCS for various reasons ( POV hat used by something else, tracking of ennemy aircraft etc.) .

Dominique

1 minute ago, MarkDH said:

Then just say what they are and we won't have to guess.

Conversation over on my side.

Dominique

1 hour ago, domkle said:

People complaining of headache or motion sickness.  

On the plus side a real plane can do this to you so maybe that's in the "real as it gets " category. Blow your groceries and say "WOW that was cool"!!

• Like 1

Vic green