Sign in to follow this  
spilok

The "magic" of a NEW Config file

Hey Stan, if you are still monitoring this post, I have finally gotten back to taking a look at your suggestion to rebuild the cfg file. Sorry to be so slow.

Here is what i find:

Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d.v4/ then the only file i see is: Prepar3d.exe.config  No other file with just cfg. Is this the right one to rename then rebuild? Don't want to mess up!

Thanks, Lennie

Stan may or may not be following this thread but just to make sure you don't go ahead and delete the wrong file before he gets to you I thought I'd post exactly where you need to go and what you need to do to rebuild the P3D Config file.

Open file explorer and find your way to:

C:\Users\YourName\Appdata\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Scroll down the list of files until you find the file named Prepar3D.cfg

This is the file that you need to either delete or rename.

You then start P3D and it will rebuild a new Prepar3D.cfg file

Hope this helps.

..Lloyd

Edited by Noell
  • Like 2

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

I am monitoring and I just saw that response from Lennie. Lloyd gave the correct answer to his question.  

Good luck.  It should work just fine.

Stan

On 7/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, spilok said:

Don't forget to force a MIGRATION in FTX Central if you start to see black squares of scenery not naturally connecting to you scenery as you fly over it. 

Hi Stan, Thanks for the great piece of advice,

Are this the squares you mean? https://ibb.co/wgs4wYq

I already did the Migration on FTX Central, but unfortunately the squares are still there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

Those squares and terrain anomalies look horrendous.   Of course, I look forward to others on this forum to suggest help, but I would do a Migration on FTX again.  Something is wrong there, but in my experience, Migration activation usually solved that.

Stan

I did this and have to say I don't see any performance difference. I compared the old cfg file with the newly built one and do not see anything that one would call "bloating". The new and old files seem similar (I am still going through each entry) except that the new one does not have all of the display/scenery/lighting/weather as in the old one (presumably the new file resets to default values). Am I missing something Spilok?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

I did this and have to say I don't see any performance difference. I compared the old cfg file with the newly built one and do not see anything that one would call "bloating". The new and old files seem similar (I am still going through each entry) except that the new one does not have all of the display/scenery/lighting/weather as in the old one (presumably the new file resets to default values). Am I missing something Spilok?

Seemingly better performance after deleting the config file is either a) placebo effect or b) a bad setting somewhere in the config. You aren’t missing anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

+1 with Chapstick. But if there is a problem one of the first action is to delete the config.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

2 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I did this and have to say I don't see any performance difference. I compared the old cfg file with the newly built one and do not see anything that one would call "bloating"

Google for "ExamDiff". Download and install it. It will allow to load two files at once and highlight the differences line by line.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 hours ago, rafikihd said:

Hi Stan, Thanks for the great piece of advice,

Are this the squares you mean? https://ibb.co/wgs4wYq

I already did the Migration on FTX Central, but unfortunately the squares are still there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

As I recall (I'm in front of my flight sim PC) that's a terrain.cfg issue. Check the Orbx forums, but I believe you can delete terrain.cfg and have it be rebuilt the next time you start a flight. It'll take quite some time to do the rebuild, and usually appears to freeze at 6%, but it worked for me.

• Upvote 1

Jon Skiffington

50 minutes ago, Skiff said:

As I recall (I'm in front of my flight sim PC) that's a terrain.cfg issue. Check the Orbx forums, but I believe you can delete terrain.cfg and have it be rebuilt the next time you start a flight. It'll take quite some time to do the rebuild, and usually appears to freeze at 6%, but it worked for me.

Hi Jon!

Thank you for the help, apparently your advice did the trick.

Thank you so much!

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

On 7/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, paj said:

Did you compare your old and new CFG file to find which setting(s) caused your loss of performance?

My understanding is that the configuration file defines the parameters and values in the areas of configuration identified in the file. Generally these will be items like scenery resolution autogen density, weather, etc that YOU have previously set and presumably want. Rather than having the system create a new cfg file, it might make more sense to occasionally look at your cfg file and see what is in there. If you think there are items that you no longer use or no longer fit your needs, then just go in and change them. I don't believe the configuration file controls anything related to performance that is not identified in the file. Just having the system do a "blind" remake of the configuration file may allow the system to change items that you do not wish to change. I believe this happened to me. I deleted and had the system remake the file (and yes performance was better), but then I went into the Options menu and reset graphics/display/scenery/lighting/weather etc settings as I previously had them, and I saw no noticeable increase in performance. What did happen though is that there is now a terrain mis-match issue at some of my UK2000 airports that wasn't there previously and I have not been able to fix this. So my advice is be careful before doing this.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

I deleted and had the system remake the file (and yes performance was better)

It should be in the recycle bin.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

On 7/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, spilok said:

I am monitoring and I just saw that response from Lennie. Lloyd gave the correct answer to his question.  

Good luck.  It should work just fine.

Stan

Thanks Stan and Lloyd!! Man i looked and didn't find a file with that exact name. I'll look again later today.

Perhaps you don't see the config file because you haven't set Windows file explorer to show hidden files and folders.

Here's how to fix that:

Open File Explorer

Click the view tab

On the extreme right, click Options and click once on change folder and search options to open a new window called Folder options.

Click the View tab.

Fourth line down you will see a folder icon labelled Hidden files and folders

Just under that folder icon, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives

Click Apply and then click OK to exit.

Now find your way to the location I detailed in my earlier first post and you will see your Prepar3D.cfg file

...Lloyd

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)