Sign in to follow this  
Guest grot

New computer in future for FSX....I priced one TODAY!

Just for fun, I priced a Dell Computer today with what I thought would be necessary for the UPCOMING couple of years with FSX and "enjoyable" flying...if you know what I mean.First of all, I am saving for it, and I WILL buy a new computer in the final Quarter of this year, October at the earliest. I want a new system for VISTA and and new system for FSX. I went with the fastest processor, best video card and best memory, close to the highest hard drive space, a 21 inch monitor minimum, 2 gig of RAM, and a few other "goodies"....nothing spectacular (MS Office software), etc.My system price came to a minimum of $4950.00. If I had an unlimited budget, it would be much more. Who knows what I'll do, but one thing for sure....I LOVE Flight Simulation, and it is an "inexpensive hobby" compared to some others out there. Golf, Hunting, Fishing, and many other hobbies can be much more expensive, and unlike FS, you can't do those hobbies EVERY DAY, regardless of weather. My Wife loves that I love Flight Simulation. She likes having me around the house....enjoying what I love to do.My computer is very, very important to me for many other things besides MSFS...but I will not think twice about upgrading it to get the enjoyment it promises to deliver!

Guest JohnEGPF

My pc was upgraded after getting fs2004.And yes its very cheap entertainment compared with others hobbiesTry flying model AC, no reset or pause button when things get" interesting" just a horrible crunch and another

I'm in the same boat, but haven't got the approval as of yet from my wife. Looking at that figure is frightening because for a little more you could get a PPL, something I'd started 2 years ago but could not afford.It does pose the question as to which would be more fulfilling, to actually do it for real or sit comfortably at home and do it, and if I'm going to spend a couple grand on a new computer to simulate flying, why not just spend the money to do the real thing? Ian.

How far do you think $5000.00 will get you doing the real thing? I, too, want to do the "real thing" but a pilot friend once told me that unless you fly frequently, you can get lax and get dangerous. From what I understand, you need a great deal of time AND money to fly for real. If only my job required it, there would be no question about it!

So what cpu was in the system you spec'ed?Since you said Dell, it must be an Intel cpu. So it can't be an FX60.Probably one of those new Presler-cores. Are they out yet?Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4000 - 6000 for ppl. Then insurance, plane rental, charts, etc... but does flying on a computer replace the actual feeling of being there? Also meeting new pilots in the flesh, that was what struck me when I took my few lessons. They all loved the same thing I did, and had a deep passion for aviation.Getting a ppl takes commitment indeed, money, time etc....but in the end you've accomplished something. If I complete a flight on the computer I feel a small accomplishment, but nothing I assume that compares to the real world. I've thought about it alot lately feeling guilty for spending about 150 in add-ons, a new graphics card for 150 bucks, time tweaking fs, flying in fs, installing memory, searching and downloading add-ons, so yes time and money can be wasted in the not so real world also with less satisfaction in the end.Having said all that, the chances I'll actually continue within the next few years are minimal, and when I think of the amount of money I could throw at a real world hobby like that it frightens the hec out of me. I need to buy a house, another kid due in August and my step-daughter starting college. Sometimes the real world encroaches in any hobby so both may be put on hold for a bit.Anyway, don't take this as an argument, I understand completly, I too wish I could hit the lottery and have it all, but I'll probably continue to enjoy flying in the virtual world watching my framerates and waiting for the next incarnation of FS.Ian.

Guest grot

Well, I can't fly anymore because I can't get a medical, but before that I logged up a couple hundred hours, mostly just hamburgers and aerobatics. It's MUCH more expensive than you think. Yes, you can get your ticket for a few grand. BUT (and this is the big but) once you HAVE the ticket, it stays expensive to scratch the itch... When I was doing it, I really needed to fly once a week. I also think thats about what it takes to stay current just on the manual skills (much less instruments or aero). An hour a week in something other than a beat up old 152 is going to run you at LEAST 100 bucks. Add keeping current charts, and all the other various toys you will inevitably "have" to have, and your looking at something like $5K a year just to stay SAFE.Just my opinion, of course. But while I shared the dream of getting my ticket, and lament losing it almost daily, don't kid yourself that it ends with the ripped shirt.

over here it would get you 1/3 of the way down to your PPL.It would then get you about halfway to the minimum hours required to keep that PPL each year in rental fees only (not counting fuel).

Did the math 2 months ago and came out to 1500 Euro.

I dont know how much skill you have with building computers but believe me... that is an insane price to be paying. I built up an extreme-high-end computer recently, and it was under $3000. Maybe add another $1000 for even more toys... and it will be faster and cheaper than the Dell.

I too can find a $5000 system easy enough by going to Dell or Alienware (most expensive machine I could build at Dell sometime last year came to over $12500), but as you said (and I calculated myself) you can get a very decent system for 1500 or so that is plenty good enough.

As a student I will have to continue to use my existing system. It was a 2001 1.9 GHz P4 (423 socket) but I heavily upgraded it a few months ago after saving up for a while. The upgrade cost me around $700 and I scoured the net for the best bargains, replacing the graphics card, motherboard, RAM, PSU and processor. Framerates shot up from about 20 to 90 on the default flight.BEFORE AFTERP4 1.9 GHz (423 socket) AMD Athlon 64 3200+768mb RD Rambus PC800 1024mb DDR PC3200GeForce 2 64mb MX400 ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mbSome DTI piece of rubbish MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum300W PSU 450W PSU (2 fans)So for those of you who don't have $1000, 2000, 5000 or more to spend on a system, don't worry too much, because for $1000 you could perform an upgrade that would allow you to really move the sliders to the left in FSX, providing you have enough parts you can retain such as speakers, screen, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, DVD-ROM/-RW, case, etc. The fact is most of these parts have not moved on that much in the last 4 or 5 years and should you be on a budget, you can keep them.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

>As a student I will have to continue to use my existing>system. It was a 2001 1.9 GHz P4 (423 socket) but I heavily>upgraded it a few months ago after saving up for a while. The>upgrade cost me around $700 Upgraded for $700? WOW..I bought a DELL XPS refurbished 3.1Ghz with 250gig HD 1 Gig dual Channel Ram and an 128 ATI Video card, DVD-R/W , DVDR all for $800 on ebay.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest grapesh

You can get Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) license instead of PPL now. It's WAY cheaper and you can get to fly more often. One hour full cost (fuel+annual+hangar etc) on something like FlightStar is just around $50. And more importantly, you can do much more training within one hour than you do on Skyhawk. Like on Saturday, I had more than 21 TL within just 1 hour of flying! All your hours in LSA go towards PPL if you decide to get it later. LSA planes are cheaper to buy and maintain. You can check the list of aircraft you can fly here http://www.sportpilot.org There are really neat planes out there like Technam P94 or Sierra.You get limitations though, like you can't fly at night, IFR and higher than 10000 ft. But most PPL holders who don't do flying for business, fly on weekends and in good weather anyways.If you have $5000 to spare, and you really want to get flying, the LSA is definitely the thing to consider.Cheers,=S.V.=

>Upgraded for $700? WOW..>>I bought a DELL XPS refurbished 3.1Ghz with 250gig HD 1 Gig>dual Channel Ram and an 128 ATI Video card, DVD-R/W , DVDR all>for $800 on ebay.>>MannyMaybe in America. You forget, I live in the UK and we don't get USA prices. My AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) cost over $200 from the cheapest online retailler based in this country I could find. Furthermore I don't think a US powerpack will agree with my 240v mains electricity.I'm not bragging I got a lot for the money, I'm pointing out that people can get FSX capable system cheaper than they think - I mean after all this talk in 4 figure sums I thought I should reassure some less fortunate folk who use the sim.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg