Sign in to follow this  
emko

Which AN-2?

Hello,

I'd like to add a Russian aircraft to my virtual hangar (well, hope I did not insult Ukrainian friends around here - AN-2 is from Ukraine :) ). Since I do most of my flights low and slow over ORBX regions of Alaska, AN-2 is a very good candidate. However I found there are two versions of it, one from Aerosoft and one from AT Simualtions. How do they compare, please? I was not able to find a decent comparison.

Thanks!

M

Ok, then I try to help.

All in all I prefer the Aerosoft ones as it has a much better system depth, fuel and engine hours are saved as most switch states when you leave the plane. I would define it that it has a "lot more character".

However the weakest point is the sound of the Aerosoft version as the engine sounds are very silent and low. The AtSim AN2 is much more grumbling, louder and with more bass, as you would expect it.

(In case you have both versions, I have explained here how to install the ATSim sounds into the Aerosoft AN2.)

• Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had the Aerosoft version since it cam out and always liked it except the engine sounds...which just are weak in my opinion.  When the ATSimulations version came out I decided to give it a try.  I flew both for awhile but finally settled on the ATSim version because of the sound. I agree with guenseli above...there are some things in the AS version I like better, but I also felt the ATSim version had slightly better Flight Dynamics (just seemed to fly a little heavier on the controls and more realistic on the landings)...even though they were done by the same person, as I understand.  I had not seen the post about moving the ATSim sounds to the AS An-2 and will do that and may have to start flying both again.

Point is they are both very good and you really can't go wrong with either...but if the sound is important to you, as it is with me, then go with the ATSim version.

Hope that helps.

Garry Lundberg

Thanks very much!

BTW the Aerosoft one looks it has "only" wheels, not floats or skis whereas the ATSim looks it has straight floats and skis. Is it true? 

As a non techie the Aerosoft version was a lot easier to get in the air and fly than the ATS version 

xxd09

Hello

I have several issue with ATSim  An-2. In raining weather my frame rate was really terrible compare to other planes with  the some A2A window rain effect, and the rain effect did not stop if the rain did stop. If I changed plane, the effect remains too on the new plane windshield ! I had to start again the simulator for clean windows. This was in Win7. The landing light effect was too strong and unrealistic. I wrote this to the contact email address several weeks ago but the developers not responded to me ! I think  they don't react to anyone. Several days ago a installed a new fresh Win10 and P4D v4.5HF to my system, and the plane not working properly. I installed it without problem but it has not vc cockpit textures if I select this plane firstly after the game loaded, and in the external view a large black square visible between the upper and lower wings. If I loaded this plane after another plane, the vc cockpit appeared for a short time and then disappeared. The black wing textures remained too. I switched off Windows antivirus during installation and during playing without result. I installed it several times but I gave up. Other planes  working without problems. 

Sorry for my bad english

Edited by kaloska

22 hours ago, xxd09 said:

As a non techie the Aerosoft version was a lot easier to get in the air and fly than the ATS version 

xxd09

I would agree...that's why I said I liked the flight dynamics of the ATS version more...just seemed more like what a big, heavy, lumbering Bi-plane would fly...you have to work with it a little more.

Garry Lundberg

57 minutes ago, emko said:

OK, thanks very much!

Take ATS, many skins also, some I did. I have boths An's and prefer ATS. Not perfect, some bugs are present still but SP1 incoming in the near future.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

On 7/2/2019 at 8:41 PM, flytriman said:

ATSim version had slightly better Flight Dynamics (just seemed to fly a little heavier on the controls and more realistic on the landings)...even though they were done by the same person, as I understand.

I have a friend who flew over 10,000 hours on An-2 in real life. In his opinion, the flight dynamics of the An-2 from Aerosoft is a little more like a real plane than ATS. But he also noted that Aerosoft (Octopus) An2 is not quite correctly perceived the weight of the aircraft. And the engine and temperature modes with the latest update are more like the truth than the initial release of the model. Just for information.

Edited by Nickbe
  • Like 2

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

Neither of them are perfect in every way and as noted, the engine sounds are not th best on the aerosoft on, but that's an easy fix, so if I had to pick one, I'd choose the Aerosoft. It has a pretty decent engine temp and lubrication simulation whereby you have to look after the thing to avoid it siezing, which seems quite realistically done and keeps things interesting. It has a good flight model too, so you can't really go wrong with it.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here