Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Key things MS Needs to do (it won't be easy)

1. For 2020, volumetric clouds is a must. 2d clouds just dont cut it, enough said.

2. Proper flight models / dynamics and ground handling.

3. Must have an option to buy base product outright.

4. Multi-core support / optimized graphics engine.

5. Airport creator tool for anybody (easy to use). You basically zoom in on the map, generate airport project and start adding objects and more detail.

6. A way to share airports and libraries (textures and objects etc). And a way to automatically install others airports.

7. Support for p3d and XP airports, or a converter tool.

8. Support for p3d and XP aircraft and plugins, or a converter tool.

9. Surround (fmod) sounds.

10. VR support.

30 minutes ago, Greazer said:

7. Support for p3d and XP airports, or a converter tool.

8. Support for p3d and XP aircraft and plugins, or a converter tool.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for that. Automatic support won't happen, I'm fairly sure. It would be technically difficult (see below), and it would kill off a large part of the potential market for 3rd party devs interested in making content for the new sim. If MS is serious about this new sim, I would imagine it wants to show off its own version of everything available now in P3D and XP, shiny and new.

Regarding conversion tools that end-users might use:

Airports have several difficulties: One is matching the elevation of the terrain mesh so buildings and runways don't float above, or sink below ground level. Another is matching road connections and ground color with whatever the surrounding scenery system is. Whether it's orho-based or landclass texture, it won't be the same smooth integration into the scenery as the original sim it was designed for. And of course many airports are copyrighted payware that wouldn't be legally available for conversion and distribution (at least according to the EULA, although personal use might work).

All of these reasons are why very few converted FSX airports have been made for XP11. Almost all are bespoke airports designed to fit into the XP11 scenery system and OSM road system. I imagine it will be the same for the new MFS. Your other point about tools for user-made airports can fill the gap like it's doing for XP11, but that can take a long time (years).

Aircraft have a different problem, where 3D models, textures, and sounds might be fairly easily converted, but the flight model and systems modeling would have to be made from scratch if the new sim is different enough. That's basically what Carenado/Thranda does with its FSX/P3D fleet conversions to XP11, with new flight and systems models hooked up to the imported 3D model, texture, and sound assets from FSX/P3D. It's not something that can be easily automated.

Now, it might be relatively easy to convert FSX/P3D aircraft if the new MFS is using an "evolved" version of the FSX or MS Flight code. But the general sense I get here in Avsim is that people are looking for something completely new, and will be disappointed if there is too much legacy code dragged into the "new" MFS.

The other items in your list sound good to me. 🙂

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

#3 isn’t a “must”. 

The way software and games are funding themselves now is evolving and we need to be more open to that as consumers because it’s becoming the norm.

• Like 1

#5, #7 and #8 are DEFINITELY not “must haves” either. 

Seven and eight in particular almost make no sense.

Why would you be able to import XP scenery and assets into Microsoft Flight simulator?  And even if that were a thing, I would never expect Microsoft to be leading that charge.

As for importing from P3D, I actually am not looking for that because I want some evidence that things have changed at the baselevel here. I’m looking for a fresh start and a clean slate. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, irrics said:

#3 isn’t a “must”. 

The way software and games are funding themselves now is evolving and we need to be more open to that as consumers because it’s becoming the norm.

Well, I don't want an EA gaming industry, honestly. All with DLC? no thanks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aleex said:

Well, I don't want an EA gaming industry, honestly. All with DLC? no thanks.

It’s way more than EA and gaming. 

Look at all the different software ecosystems.

Software as a service is taking over most everything. 

7 minutes ago, irrics said:

Why would you be able to import XP scenery and assets into Microsoft Flight simulator?  And even if that were a thing, I would never expect Microsoft to be leading that charge.

Somebody has to figure out a way then. Not ready to ditch all the XP add-ons for new Eye Candy. I'm sure a lot of p3d guys will agree. Really need Zibo mod in FS2020.

6 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Somebody has to figure out a way then. Not ready to ditch all the XP add-ons for new Eye Candy. I'm sure a lot of p3d guys will agree. Really need Zibo mod in FS2020.

I don’t think Microsoft cares about XP or P3D add-ons  

And no offense to you or anyone else, I don’t think MS should care. 

Make something all new.

It’s time.

It’s been over a decade.

The rest of us and the third-party ecosystem will adapt

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

I don't want a new sim that looks to the past to make it work and look better.  If it's not all radically new, I'll stay with XP11 and XP12 when available.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

35 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Stick with XP, then....problem solved

• Upvote 7

Chris

They really have to put VATSIM or something similar in different levels and depending how professional you're you can access that room and been compatible with Live AI traffic next year all GA going to have ADS B out by law at least in US and Canada.. So every plane even from Venezuela of Mexico that want to fly to US need the ADS B.. And that means that would be uploaded to the sim in real time..

And VR a real solution to VR.. 

Of course an engine weather in real time like Active Sky.. 

Microsoft has no need or obligation to have backward compatibility with a previous 13 year old version. Let alone a competing simulator... 

• Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

16 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

Microsoft has no need or obligation to have backward compatibility with a previous 13 year old version. Let alone a competing simulator... 

Then they have no need to lure customers from competing sims, and thus sales and profits will be impacted.

• Like 1