Sign in to follow this  
George8295

GSX texture issue

Hey guys

Getting a weird texture issue at night with the new GSX update. Daytime all is fine, but at night the jetways turn a weird green?

Using activesky, Rex Skyforce, GSX level 2, Orbx scenery

https://imgur.com/a/whVdXpp

Edit: need to figure out how to embed images. Kind of hard to see in the image link

Edited by George8295

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

i9-9900K, AORUS Z390 PRO, AORUS RTX 2080 Graphics card, G.Skill 16GB 3200 Trident Z RGB

Update: Been doing some trouble shooting and still getting the same issue

Deleted shaders, ran without activesky/Rex skyforce, tried different airports/aircraft

Anyone else got the same issue or any suggestions?

GSX-2.jpg

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

i9-9900K, AORUS Z390 PRO, AORUS RTX 2080 Graphics card, G.Skill 16GB 3200 Trident Z RGB

I don't see anything wrong in your picture, and surely nothing green.

Those very minor and almost unnoticeable shades of colors ( guess you are referring to the lighter windows) are a known issue with lightmaps and are are result of texture compression and the limited dynamic range at night, there's just nothing that can be done to fix them, other than not using lightmaps at all, and switch to 100% dynamic lights, which of course would cause a huge impact on fps, because we might potentially add hundreds of new dynamic lights to the ones the airport might already have, destroying the fps in the process.

In addition to that, it wouldn't even work well in this case, because the P3D dynamic light system is not advanced enough to simulate blocking surfaces so, if we had a dynamic light inside the jetway, to simulate the internal lighting, it would splash down on the apron, because the jetway floor and ceiling won't block it, since the P3D4 engine simply doesn't support that.

Edited by virtuali

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

I don't see anything wrong in your picture, and surely nothing green.

Those very minor and almost unnoticeable shades of colors ( guess you are referring to the lighter windows) are a known issue with lightmaps and are are result of texture compression and the limited dynamic range at night, there's just nothing that can be done to fix them, other than not using lightmaps at all, and switch to 100% dynamic lights, which of course would cause a huge impact on fps, because we might potentially add hundreds of new dynamic lights to the ones the airport might already have, destroying the fps in the process.

In addition to that, it wouldn't even work well in this case, because the P3D dynamic light system is not advanced enough to simulate blocking surfaces so, if we had a dynamic light inside the jetway, to simulate the internal lighting, it would splash down on the apron, because the jetway floor and ceiling won't block it, since the P3D4 engine simply doesn't support that.

I brightened up the image since its pretty hard to see at night. Might make it easier?

GSX-2-2.jpg

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

35 minutes ago, George8295 said:

I brightened up the image since its pretty hard to see at night. Might make it easier?

Doesn't change anything in my previous explanation, they are the very well know DXT compression artifacts which shows up only at night, because of the different (more limited) dynamic range. The actual texture file is *not* like that and, of course, something so minor that you would have to artificially brighten the image just to see it, shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, is your monitor is properly calibrated ? I use a Spyder, to be sure our colors are 100% correct so, maybe you see something you shouldn't see much, because your brightness or gamma is too high.

10 hours ago, virtuali said:

Doesn't change anything in my previous explanation, they are the very well know DXT compression artifacts which shows up only at night, because of the different (more limited) dynamic range. The actual texture file is *not* like that and, of course, something so minor that you would have to artificially brighten the image just to see it, shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, is your monitor is properly calibrated ? I use a Spyder, to be sure our colors are 100% correct so, maybe you see something you shouldn't see much, because your brightness or gamma is too high.

Tried changing monitor settings and the colour management with still the same issue. 

I really don’t think it’s a common thing. I’m looking at videos and screenshots of other people using GSX at night and it doesn’t look anywhere near as bad. 

If I change the jetway to the default GSX one the whole side is green as well. So depending on which jetway is being used, the texture/shader can be worse

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

Another screenshot of the stairs fully green? Im not going crazy am I?

I also noticed that if I change the livery of the jetway to say green, red etc, and then as the sun sets the colour of the jetway will go from what Ive set to white with the green shader/texture issue

GSX-4.jpg
upload image

Edited by George8295

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5

4 hours ago, George8295 said:

Another screenshot of the stairs fully green? Im not going crazy am I?

I also noticed that if I change the livery of the jetway to say green, red etc, and then as the sun sets the colour of the jetway will go from what Ive set to white with the green shader/texture issue

I don't see anything green in your image. As I've said, if you have to brighten it just to show the effect, it means you monitor calibration is likely off (either brightness or gamma is too high), because you are able to see very dark hues you are not supposed to see normally.

Also, if you use shader mods, everything could happen, since these mods could significantly alter the rendering, usually for the worse.

Edited by virtuali

6 hours ago, virtuali said:

I don't see anything green in your image. As I've said, if you have to brighten it just to show the effect, it means you monitor calibration is likely off (either brightness or gamma is too high), because you are able to see very dark hues you are not supposed to see normally.

Also, if you use shader mods, everything could happen, since these mods could significantly alter the rendering, usually for the worse.

I don’t have to brighten it on my end to see the effect. It’s very obvious on my end so It must be something to do with my monitor/settings as you said.

Thanks for your help though. I’ll keep troubleshooting after work

George Jackson

Q300 pilot

P3D V4.5