Sign in to follow this  
michal

Real vs. FSX...

Guest Water Mango

I went flying this weekend and noticed two distinct differences between the real world and FS9. 1. It's harder to find real world airports when looking down from the aircraft than it is in FS9.2. An airport can appear allot closer than it actually is in the real world. In FS9 you get a greater since of distance but flying in a pattern in the real world can make you feel right on top of the airport.My question is will these problems get fixed in FSX??? Will the airports appearing on the ground be less obvious to see like in the real world and will the airport's visual distance from the aircraft appear correctly in FSX???

I actually found the opposite when I went up in a cessna as far as finding the airport. Within 10 miles it was fairly noticable, though this may be dependent on the location and weather conditions, and I have a hec of a time finding small airports in FS, though I think with my home airport it is spot on (40N), even has an obstacle that can be seen (water tower, though in FS it's a fuel tank) from about 10 miles out that you aim for when coming from the south to enter the pattern.Concerning number 2, another thread I think in the general fs forum suggests changing the zoom level to 1.50 when inside the cockpit as they percieved the runway to be too long when using the default 1.0. I personally have moved to 1.25 and it gives me a better feel in the vc cockpit. Again though, this is up to each individual to find a zoom setting to there liking and many threads have discussed the ins and outs of the ideal zoom setting.

>1. It's harder to find real world airports when looking down>from the aircraft than it is in FS9.Good point.>2. An airport can appear allot closer than it actually is in>the real world. In FS9 you get a greater since of distance but>flying in a pattern in the real world can make you feel right>on top of the airport.This is because the zoom factor should be set to 1.5-2.0 (depending on monitor inches and your viewing distance) to obtain the real perpective. Obviously in this case you have too little an angle of view (meaning no peripheral vision at all and no gauges visible when in VC). So it's not MSFS fault, the only solution is to have a bigger screen or projector and leave zoom factor to 1.0Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>My question is will these problems get fixed in FSX??? The only way to "fix" it is provide much more detailed scenery. The real airports 'hide' from your eyes because they are imbedded in a very rich scenery environment. For example runways now stand out because they are much, much sharper than the rest of scenery. I suspect you would not want a "fuzzy" airport environment in FSX to provide better blending, would you? You won't be able to 'fix' it unless you move a few generations of scenery ahead. It is going to take a lot of time.As to your second point zoom is the only way to "fix" it now. That is until one day we get 3D scenery. For now I would suggest using the Fresnel lens or something like that greatly enhances your visual perceptions and depth of field. You have to realize that FSX can never fix things that stem from the fact that you are watching things 10 inches from your face on a flat monitor.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg