Sign in to follow this  
defyent

Combinations of settings for RXP 530w

So I'm trying to find the right combination of setting to match how my real aircraft works with the 530. Here is what I need to do.

1. I need the gps to run the auto pilot, but also allow the autopilot to fly a radial off the vor/hsi (Connect gps to autopilot)
  2. I need the gps to talk to the hsi when in GPS mode. (Connect GPS to HSI)
  3. I need the obs button to work and be connected to the course selector on the hsi. (Connect hsi/obs (input))
  4. I need to be able to read bearing indicator information for both vor's and gps waypoints regardless of the CDI mode (GPS or VLOC)

The issue is with a combination of the last two options. In order for my course indicator to drive the OBS feature on the 530, I must have "Connect GPS to VOR indicator" enabled. However when this feature is enabled and the gps is in GPS mode, nav1_relative_bearing gets overwritten with GPS bearing information, and nav1_bearing_deg_mag freezes. Why is GPS bearing information going to the nav1 datarefs and not the gps datarefs in x-plane? How can I separate out these features so I can get realistic functionality?

Thanks in Advance.

(Edit: It even seems when I disable "Connect gps to vor indicator" the cdi and course indicator on the hsi also stop working. I thought that was "Connect gps to hsi"???

7 hours ago, defyent said:

Why is GPS bearing information going to the nav1 datarefs and not the gps datarefs in x-plane? How can I separate out these features so I can get realistic functionality?

Hi,

when enabling "Connect to VOR Indicator", the GPS overrides everything 'NAV' related (dataref wise). This is the limitation X-Plane SDK imposes on us: there is a 'nav1_needle' override and when enabled (necessary to drive the VOR indicator needles) it also freezes a whole bunch of other datarefs. Besides, it makes senses when in GPS mode the NAV bearing information is written by the GPS so that any gauge display the pseudo nav signals generated by the GPS for proper display isn't it?

8 hours ago, defyent said:

(Edit: It even seems when I disable "Connect gps to vor indicator" the cdi and course indicator on the hsi also stop working. I thought that was "Connect gps to hsi"???

Is it possible the aircraft you're flying with is mistakenly using NAV datarefs to drive the HSI gauge, instead of using the HSI/GPS datarefs?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Okay I see. I guess if the standard course selector could still drive the OBS function when "Connect to vor indicator" was disabled that would solve my issue. However I've found a work around which will give me all the functionality I need but it's going to require a bit code and a custom course Up/Down command that switches from the obs_mag to gps_course_degtm to nav1_course_degm depending on which mode I'm in. Not the end of the world I should be able to get it done in half a day or so. 

It could be possible yes, I do all my testing with the standard 172 and some modified autopilot switches.

If you are programming your own gauges, you might want to cross-check our own published datarefs documented in the User's Manual. They are always updates regardless of NAV/GPS source and 'Connect GPS to' settings because these are our GPS datarefs. There are 3 sets: one for the device #1, one for the device #2, and another one for the 'Master Device'. These are also 'shared' between the GTN and the GNS so that any #1, #2 and Master devices is always publishing to corresponding set.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Okay, yes ultimately all our gauges are custom made with SimAvio. I've used the dataref editor to find all your datarefs, but im looking through the manual now as well.

The User's Manual has them all documented! You might find others using 'scanning' tools but these are 'no-touch' or it breaks!