Sign in to follow this  
Guest PZL

High res scenery... Where?

Guest PC509

I notice on some of the screenshots it has GREAT scenery textures, like from a satellite photo. How much of the world (or US) will be comprised of the new high res textures? My part of the world, the textures look nothing like what is really there. Even with add-on's. (Eastern Oregon, BTW. Used to live in the Columbia River Gorge, and with Holger's scenery, I could almost see my house. I could see the treeline by it!). I know more cities will be done using aerial & satellite photos as evidenced by the screenshots (which look fantastic!). But will the rural places be the same? Doesn't MS own the satellite imagery for Terraserver? Couldn't that be incorporated, at least in part, to the FS world? Or at least have a add-on pack for it (4 DVD's of photoreal satellite photography with accurate road, rail and water systems. Only $39.95. But order now and get an upgrade to realistic tree lines!)

Guest tdragger

Actually I don't think any of the screenshots posted so far show satelite or aerial imagery. Jason would know for sure.Correction: I think the Seattle waterfront is an aerial image.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

The *only* 1m aerial imagery currently seen is, as Mike said, the Seattle waterfront area. Everything else shown consists of default generic terrain textures.Using aerial imagery is time consuming and takes up disk space like gangbusters-- especially at 1 meter per pixel. MSFT doesn't own much aerial imagery (like with Terraserver). Most of that (also what's up on Google) is licensed.Cheers,J

Guest PC509

Then I am wrong. But, dammit! I'm glad I am. Some of those shots look awesome, and very detailed. I was assuming that it was satellite photo's (FSINSIDER_Bell comes to mind). In that case, take my mistake as a compliment! :DThat answers my question as well. Those high res textures are just your basic landclass textures; generic around the world. This is going to be one wild upgrade! Also, we're starting to get rumors on the G80 part from NVIDIA coming in June. It should support DX10 finally, along with HDR with AA. Should help out a bit! Hopefully enough time to release the DX10 additions to FSX. Maybe? ;)BTW: For copy protection, would an Office and XP OS type activation be an option? That way, you can get rid of the "Insert CD to continue..." hassle, and still have a somewhat secure copy protection. There are still cracks available, but harder to implement. I've bought every version since 98, but would like something a bit less in my face everytime I want to play type of copy protection. Activation just takes a few seconds, and when it's done; it's done. No forms to fill out, it's just part of the install. :)

Guest tdragger

<>We'll be well past the point of adding new code at that point so, no. :(<>Now that would be pretty cool. It would also prevent folks from buying one copy, installing on multiple machines and just swapping the disc.

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>Now that would be pretty cool. It would also prevent folks>from buying one copy, installing on multiple machines and just>swapping the disc.What would be the problem of installing FSX on 2-4 machines that run in tandem?I'm all for the idea of product activation, however I'd like to see the license extended from "1 machine" to "All the machines you have at your home so long as the IP number is the same"With the risk of sounding ungrateful, I'm just wondering how 'fair' it is, when you buy a product, yet limited to installing it on 1 machine.My idea is, that when you buy something, then its in your decision making to install it on whatever machine you see fit, so long as its:1) a machine you own 2) is at your home address (no network sharing, as in a company network)

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:>><activation be an option? That way, you can get rid of the>"Insert CD to continue..." hassle, and still have a somewhat>secure copy protection. There are still cracks available, but>harder to implement. I've bought every version since 98, but>would like something a bit less in my face everytime I want to>play type of copy protection. Activation just takes a few>seconds, and when it's done; it's done. No forms to fill out,>it's just part of the install.>>>>Now that would be pretty cool. It would also prevent folks>from buying one copy, installing on multiple machines and just>swapping the disc.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Please tell me that type of "Copy Protection" won't be integrated into FS:X. I have five PCs that I am currently working on and one will soon become a FS development-only machine. I'll flatly refuse to pay for five copies of Flight Simulator just to install it on all of the computers.

Guest GA Flyer

But dont you already have five copies of windows?Jack

>>Now that would be pretty cool. It would also prevent folks from buying one copy, installing on multiple machines and just swapping the disc.<

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Bell206freak

No.. They already came with Windows installed on them. I ended up with them when my work purchased new office computers. I ended up getting a few of the old ones.

Well, I think his point was, the cost of the operating system is built into the cost of the hardware, so, in effect, without getting into the technicalities of the actual situation, you had purchased multiple copies of the operating system.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Hmmm yes before you guys at MS do something rash, remember that some advanced addons for FS9 need the sim to be installed on multiple networked machines..Inserting the CD (DVD) every time is a pain but online activation has the potential to be even more painful if not implemented properly.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest tdragger

Not sure how this would be a problem if all the copies were licensed. ???

I guess it's fair to assume that some sort of copy protection needs to be included, but the current method is a pain. I would rather see a XP-stle activation method, or even one where we have to go online and login everytime we want to play, since many people have always-on internet connections nowadays. This would be similar to games like World of Warcraft, where it doesn't really matter how many computers you've installed the software on, since only one licence can every be online and playing at a time. Of course, for those without internet connections, the standby "insert disc 4" option would still be available.- Martin

Guest PC509

Well, as with WideView, you would have 1 per machine, but only playing with one instance. Perhaps make a server mode, and a client mode.