Hi-flying P3Dv4.4 on Windows 7.  I use a lot of USB hardware controllers--yoke, rudder pedals, TQ6 throttle quadrant, TPM, and 15 GoFlight modules.  Everything was working well, until I had to take the whole sim apart (every piece and cord) and reassemble it.  I had marked all the hardware USB ports, so I put them all back in the same ports as before. Now, on a regular basis, the sim freezes for a second or two with no sound,  and the Windows "USB Disconnect" sound comes on. Then a few seconds later, the "USB Reconnect" Windows sound comes on and the sim proceeds as normal with sound.  This happens 4 or five times in an hour.  It's not life threatening, but is very annoying.  Does anyone know how I could track down the offending hardware, and then fix its disconnect/reconnect issue?  Thanks, Jay.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

sounds like you may need to go into device manager and check that your devices/usb port/hubs, power management is unchecked.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Thanks much christb I--forgot to say I think I already did this.  Is this the one where you uncheck "let the computer put this to sleep" and "let this wake up the computer?"  If so, I've unchecked both of those, and also put the computer's power plan on performance, not balanced.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:57 PM, vp49p3 said:

Now, on a regular basis, the sim freezes for a second or two with no sound,  and the Windows "USB Disconnect" sound comes on. Then a few seconds later, the "USB Reconnect" Windows sound comes on and the sim proceeds as normal with sound.  This happens 4 or five times in an hour.  It's not life threatening, but is very annoying.  Does anyone know how I could track down the offending hardware, and then fix its disconnect/reconnect issue?  Thanks, Jay.

I had a very similar problem albeit with a new computer running Windows 10. I had to hire a Microsoft Certified Professional to find the problem as I had exhausted my own options.

Turned out the powered USB hub that was fine with Windows 7 was incompatible with W10. I changed it and the problem disappeared. So even though you haven't moved to W10 try just plugging your yoke, pedals and throttle unit into USB2 ports on the PC and temporarily forget the GoFlight units.

If the problem goes away the powered USB hub(s) is the problem and needs replacing. I bought this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0725WHBX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

A bad cable or USB connector can also do this, as well as a USB port or device damaged by static during reconnection.

You should be able to enable and peruse the Windows Operational Log to identify which device(s) is/are disconnecting...see this article (relates to USB thumb drive, but USB HID devices should also be logged the same way):

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-track-down-usb-flash-drive-usage-in-windows-10s-event-viewer/

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello Ray--thanks much for the suggestions, which I will try.  By the way, when searching the internet for solutions I came across your lengthy Microsoft help desk communication on the topic and still have the web page for reference!  I was studying it, but will now instead follow your advice.

Jay

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, w6kd said:

A bad cable or USB connector can also do this, as well as a USB port or device damaged by static during reconnection.

You should be able to enable and peruse the Windows Operational Log to identify which device(s) is/are disconnecting...see this article (relates to USB thumb drive, but USB HID devices should also be logged the same way):

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-track-down-usb-flash-drive-usage-in-windows-10s-event-viewer/

Regards

Thanks for your advice, which I will follow, too.

22 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Hello Ray--thanks much for the suggestions, which I will try.  By the way, when searching the internet for solutions I came across your lengthy Microsoft help desk communication on the topic and still have the web page for reference!  I was studying it, but will now instead follow your advice.

Jay

They did their best but always difficult when you’re not sat in front of the PC. Check FSUIPC5 log as that will show disconnects and reconnects. Good luck. Hope you solve it. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They did their best but always difficult when you’re not sat in front of the PC. Check FSUIPC5 log as that will show disconnects and reconnects. Good luck. Hope you solve it. 👍

Well, the FSUIPC log showed a USB sound card used with the OPUS Buttkicker program was going on and off.  When I unplugged it, all was well.  Now I just need to make sure it was a bad sound card and not the USB port itself.  Thanks to all for your help.  It is very nuch appreciated.

• Like 1