Hello,

I have just finally made the jump from FSX to P3D. The screen resolution options in P3D (version4.5) have 1920x1080 as the maximum option. Is this because it knows I have only a GTX1070 card and a 1920x1080 monitor? Would going to a an RTX2080 and new 4K monitor bring up the 3842x2160 option in P3D or does it simply not run at these higher resolutions? Hope this is not a really dumb question from a novice!

Thanks,

Steve.

You will be able to run it in 4K with a 2080 and a 4K display but it is a big ask on your system which means you may have to compromise on settings that allow it to run smoothly at, 1080p or 1440. A lot depends on your cpu as well.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

7 hours ago, shally17 said:

Is this because it knows I have only a GTX1070 card and a 1920x1080 monitor?

It is all about the monitor. Plug in a monitor that is capable of 4K and you will see 4K as an option in the list of available full-screen resolutions.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for the replies. That was most helpful. The CPU is an i9900K @5GHz so it will be interesting to see how I go.

Steve.

I recently upgraded to a UHD monitior.  What the guys are saying above about balancing your settings with the capability of your kit is obviously correct, but what I've found is that running at 3840x2160 on a GTX1070 actually allows you to turn down some of the graphics settings from what you'd need to get a good HD look and still get a better visual result. 

Obviously if you can afford a better GPU then why not, but my plan was to wait for P3D V5 and see if that changes the system requirements for the GPU.   

ngxu_banner.png

Hello Again,

As a relative novice when it comes to monitoring hardware performance, which software are you using to find out the figures for the CPU and GPU usage?

Steve.

Another novice question if I may. You suggested a monitor that is capable of 30Hz. What are the benefits of 30Hz over 60Hz?

Steve.

2 hours ago, shally17 said:

What are the benefits of 30Hz over 60Hz?

30Hz allows you to run P3D with less resources.  Might work for some who have a struggling CPU.  Running at 60Hz requires more resources.  I run P3D at 60Hz and have absolutely no issues.  When I watch YouTube videos, I immediately look for 1440p (4K) resolution as an option as they always use 1080p as the default.  It is awesome!  Everyone on YouTube should be required to have 1440p resolution as an option.  I know most of Rob's videos are in that resolution.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

As Jim suggested, 30Hz operation means you can increase P3D graphics settings to increase visuals (more Autogen buildings, dynamic lighting, higher quality reflections, shadows, etc. etc.) if used with Vsync On ... which means P3D only needs to sustain 30 fps to match the 30Hz vsync ..

Does using an external limiter such as RTSS on Sync x/2 on a 60hz monitor also limit the work P3D needs to do so that settings may be increased or do you have to physically turn your monitor to 30hz and use the internal vsync to achieve that goal?

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

Does using an external limiter such as RTSS on Sync x/2 on a 60hz monitor also limit the work P3D needs to do so that settings may be increased or do you have to physically turn your monitor to 30hz and use the internal vsync to achieve that goal?

It did for me, Bruce.  Configuring RTSS as you described certainly made my system run more efficiently.  As noted by Jim above, running P3D at 30Hz allows it to use less resources.  I was able to move some sliders to the right after adopting RTSS Sync x/2... and the sim is smoother for me as well.  Win/Win! :biggrin:

Greg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I was able to move some sliders to the right after adopting RTSS Sync x/2... and the sim is smoother for me as well.  Win/Win! :biggrin:

Greg

That’s the configuration I’ve been using for a while now and I’m very happy with the results. 

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11