Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Necroposting

Hi AVSIM Team,

First I want to say a kind work to all of you for your fine work, making this place open but civilized and enjoyable.

I understand that here and on other forums, necroposting is prohibited or at least not recommended.

I've never quite understood why.

In my view, it is 'good' to concentrate on a 'unique' thread so that folks who come later have the complete and historical view of the discussions.

So what is the rationale leading to NOT necroposting on AVSIM?

Not debating the rule, just eager to understand.

Thanks.

- TONY -

What's "necroposting"?

David Porrett

Hello David,

Necroposting is when you relaunch (post in) an old thread in which nobody has posted for months or years.

- TONY -

It's mainly when someone is asking a question at someone who probably is no longer a member or is no longer living.  That's when the new post is split off into a new topic with the original title.

If a necropost is offering new information or help for the subject matter, then there is a chance it may remain without splitting it off.

Just trying to make it easier for people not to have to read through several pages of old posts.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Here is one definition of necroposting -

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Necroposting

It is not against any rule here at AVSIM to necropost.  However, some of the reasons for removing a necropost or splitting the post from the necropost is:

The information in the necropost is outdated.  For instance, discussions of poor fps, the blurries, crashes, freezes, outdated video cards, outdated OS's, etc., (wow!  these are a lot of reasons!!) may contain poor, bad, or outdated information. 

Some members quote a post that was posted by a member several years ago.  The member may or may not still be a member or even interested in flight simulation or the topic title (or even alive!).

The product or add-on being discussed may have been updated long ago and no longer has the issues discussed two or more years ago.

Sometimes, one will bring up an old topic about how bad the moderating is at AVSIM.  Why bring up hateful comments made two more more years ago?  The moderator may not be at AVSIM anymore or has changed his methods of moderating?

Some members were banned for violating our Terms of Service or policies and the topic resulting in some heated discussions about the reason for the member to be banned.  This is old news that happened some time ago and does not need any further discussions.

It is best to start a new topic even with the same subject to avoid others from commenting with comments like:  this topic is really old and has a lot of bad information about ABC product.  Why are you bringing up an old topic?  It's frowned on almost in every forum across the Internet. Best you start with a new topic which is relevant today.  Don't you know it is stupid to necropost?  Start a new post dummy!  The information is totally outdated.  Some of these comments cause others to respond appropriately and, instead of discussing the topic, lead others to start a flame war and the topic goes "South" very fast. This may result in a warning with a couple of days off for those involved. 

There are probably more reasons but think the above is sufficient to help others understand that bringing up an old topic for further discussions is not recommended.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the additional and comprehensive explanation.

I'm sold! 😉 I will try to avoid necroposting from now on.

- TONY -