Sign in to follow this  
shadnixx

What's the best weather add-ons combination?

REX recently released Environment Force for P3D, and unfortunately it's not available for FSX as far as I know. The guys at the P3D forum suggested that the best combination for them would be REX SF, REX EF for visuals and AS for weather depiction. So, since REX EV isn't available to us FSX users, I'm wondering what the best combination for us would be?

Thanks.

I use the Active Sky 2016 weather engine combined with Active Sky Cloud Art and Envtex textures in FSX and the overall result is excellent. Incidentally all of these are currently available at sale prices.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not REX has given up on its weather engine for Sky Force.  It is still too inferior compared to other weather add-ons such as Active Sky.  SF's clouds and weather systems continue to pop up suddenly in flights and then disappear suddenly.  They are now working on Weather Force, which will be a separate and dedicated weather engine.  They are planning to make W.F. free for verified S.F. purchasers and they hope they will get it right this time.  😕

REX responded to me in a Facebook post: it is not possible for all features of Environment Force to be compatible with FSX as some of E.F.'s effects are for P3D only.  They have not decided if they will produce a stripped down version of E.F. for FSX that has only E.F. effects that are compatible with FSX.  I personally don't believe it will happen as it is easier for them to just make one application for multiple simulators (P3D and FSX).  An idea of mine would be to give users the option in settings to uncheck effects that are not compatible with their sim like S.F. does now.  The question would be would FSX users be willing to pay full price knowing some E.F. effects will not work for them, since REX would have no way to verify if a purchaser wants to use it for FSX and not P3D.

I personally use Active Sky Next with Sky Force.  I am waiting for W.F. to come out and see if it will be any better than ASN.  If it still isn't as good or better off the gate, I will upgrade my weather engine to Active Sky 2016.  For additional textures available in E.F. only I still use REX Texture Direct 4 with Soft Clouds.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, scianoir said:

I use the Active Sky 2016 weather engine combined with Active Sky Cloud Art and Envtex textures in FSX and the overall result is excellent. Incidentally all of these are currently available at sale prices.

Bill

I've been looking at Envtex - how does it play together with ASCA? Does it replace/upgrade those textures?

I'm quite happy with the AS and ASCA combo. 

I use Active Sky for the weather engine and REX Texture Direct with Soft Clouds for the textures.

• Like 1

David Norman Paul

Posted (edited)

Ok, I bought Envtex, but what does activating the "ASCA integration" tab actually do? They also sell Envshade - does Envshade offer significant visual enhancements?

Thanks

Ricardo

Envshade seems to only work with P3D

Edited by Ricardo41

I use Opus for weather, Skyforce and Environment force, and very happy.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, Ricardo41 said:

I've been looking at Envtex - how does it play together with ASCA? Does it replace/upgrade those textures?

I'm quite happy with the AS and ASCA combo. 

To be honest, I'm not quite sure, but I think it integrates and uses both ASCA and Envtex sky textures. Whatever it does the overall end result looks very good!

Bill

Have always used default cloud textures in combination with Active Sky Next/ Active Sky 16. Have always found alot of the add on textures too cartoony looking. If anyone does know of a simple addon that gives a more realistic look without costing frames then i would most certainly be interested