Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

HiFi ASCA & P3Dv4.5 weather engine

I just upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5.  I'm somewhat surprised that 4.5 seems to be a fair amount better.  For some reason the scenery files look a lot better, and so far I have held off installing any add on textures.  I kind of like not adding all these huge programs.  Now, my question is: Has anyone used ASCA with just the P3D 4.5 weather engine.  I always set my own weather, and I kind of think just using the P3d weather settings works pretty well for me.  I would like to use some Cloud program though to sort of spice my clouds up a little.  Any comment or advice is appreciated.

Mike Nicholson, Jetline Systems PC, 4.20 Intel 4 Core i7-7700k CDU, Nividia GTX 1060 6GB card,  32722 mbs memory, Windows 10- 64bit, Prepar3D v4.5

ASCA will not work without Active Sky.  If you don't want to run any of the REX addons for clouds, etc, you might want to look at the many free cloud texture downloads from the AVSIM library.  The ones from kiwi_biplane are beautiful.

EDIT : In order to use the dynamic features of ASCA, you MUST run it with Active Sky (apologies for mis stating)

Edited by vcarlo
statement correction

WAT1460.png

I have all the different weather engines and cloud textures, and for me (I fly airliners), none of them beat:

ActiveSky (just the best darned weather engine there is, and it's been that way forever).

ActiveSky Cloud Art

Evntex & EvnShade  (excellent price as well).

Best wishes

• Like 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

31 minutes ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

Now, my question is: Has anyone used ASCA with just the P3D 4.5 weather engine.  I always set my own weather, and I kind of think just using the P3d weather settings works pretty well for me.  I would like to use some Cloud program though to sort of spice my clouds up a little.  Any comment or advice is appreciated.

Yes you can use ASCA and install its cloud textures using just the 4.5 weather themes. 

Edited by pracines