Sign in to follow this  
CesarSMX

[UPGRADE] Ryzen 3000 thoughts with P3Dv4.

Hello!

I am planing to upgrade my 6600K OC 4.5 GHz, to the new Ryzen 3000, I know is to early to ask, but in your great experience, what is your opinion with these new CPUs?? I am planing to get the 3900x, and I have not used an AMD cpu since the Athlon FX a loooong time ago!!, i dont rememeber where i read that performance with those cpus were not good with the sim.

So, do you think it is a good choice getting an AMD cpu for P3Dv4? or do I stick with intel and 9900K??

Greetings!

Why not stick with a proven solution 8700K, 9700K, or 8600K?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Even I am super interested to know about these new chips.  Amd's motherboard even supports PCIE 4.0.  Intel really has been sleeping on the wheel for the last few years.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Well, there seems to be some kind of consensus that the 9900K is still the number one choice if you are first and foremost a gamer (albeit with a narrower margin than before). Multi threaded productivity seems to strongly favor the Ryzen but on some games the Ryzen lags some 10-ish % to the 9900K. If you are in to rendering and stuff the Ryzen seems to be just about the obvious choice. I was, and still am, considering the new AMD and very interested in seeing the performance of the 3900X and 3950X in the flight simming world.

I'm, however, under the impression that clock speed is king when it comes to flight simming, so I'm rather sceptical about the performance I would get going from an overclocked 6700K@4.7 to a Ryzen at a substantially lower clock. What you guys think?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

2 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

so I'm rather sceptical about the performance I would get going from an overclocked 6700K@4.7 to a Ryzen at a substantially lower clock.

I agree.  The Ryzen seems to be doing well in the reviews when it comes to threaded performance but I haven't seen a gaming scenario where it's beating or even equaling the 9900K @ 5.0 or 5.1 GHz.  Although, yes, things are much closer.  I am still inclined to believe that 9900K is the top flight sim chip.  Without a comparison it's conjecture but all signs right now still show the 9900K as the top gaming CPU which should translate to the top P3D/Xplane chip.

AMD and the board makers have discovered a flaw in the reviews and the BIOS used during the reviews.  Wait another week or two for true benchmarks.  The numbers should go up for the new Ryzen chip.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Because they are bl**dy expensive despite being matched in single-thread performance by the latest Zen 2 series architecture.

44 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Well, there seems to be some kind of consensus that the 9900K is still the number one choice if you are first and foremost a gamer (albeit with a narrower margin than before). Multi threaded productivity seems to strongly favor the Ryzen but on some games the Ryzen lags some 10-ish % to the 9900K. If you are in to rendering and stuff the Ryzen seems to be just about the obvious choice. I was, and still am, considering the new AMD and very interested in seeing the performance of the 3900X and 3950X in the flight simming world.

I'm, however, under the impression that clock speed is king when it comes to flight simming, so I'm rather sceptical about the performance I would get going from an overclocked 6700K@4.7 to a Ryzen at a substantially lower clock. What you guys think?

38 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I agree.  The Ryzen seems to be doing well in the reviews when it comes to threaded performance but I haven't seen a gaming scenario where it's beating or even equaling the 9900K @ 5.0 or 5.1 GHz.  Although, yes, things are much closer.  I am still inclined to believe that 9900K is the top flight sim chip.  Without a comparison it's conjecture but all signs right now still show the 9900K as the top gaming CPU which should translate to the top P3D/Xplane chip.

Best-gaming-CPU-Intel-Core-i7-i9-AMD-Ryz

AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-and-Ryzen-7-3700X-CPU-

Ryzen's huge L3 memory cache in comparison (AMD's 32 or 64 MB vs Intel's 12 or 16 MB on the top CPUs) is making the frequency difference a lot less of an issue.

Nobody is recommending 3900X for pure gaming use, the extra 4 cores and $170 price difference over the 3700X is not justifiable unless there will be a need for streaming during gaming.

That said, there does appear to be issues with the launch bios on all mobos preventing overclocking to stated maximum OC. Updated bioses are on the way which will hopefully rectify this problem. (There were issues when Zen 1 launched two years ago also).

Edited by F737NG
Added graphs
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Because they are bl**dy expensive despite being matched in single-thread performance by the latest Zen 2 series architecture.

OK, it is less expensive.. but if you are going to use it for several years, is that the key criterion? :unsure:

Bert

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

OK, it is less expensive.. but if you are going to use it for several years, is that the key criterion? :unsure:

When someone can use the savings made on the difference in price to buy a better GPU, Mobo, PSU, monitor, etc. than originally envisaged or even gaming peripherals, than yes, it matters.

The good news is that Intel has to respond in the short-term by reducing their CPU prices.
That benefits every consumer.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Just beacuase of the 7nm, new x570 chip, and PCIe 4.0, lets see how it works after they fix BIOS/Driver issues. And obvious reason to get in the Hipe train!. 😁

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

Even I am super interested to know about these new chips.  Amd's motherboard even supports PCIE 4.0.  Intel really has been sleeping on the wheel for the last few years.

Yes! lets wait and see for next batch of reviews with good BIOS/Drivers, i dont expect a lot of difference after they fix issues. And i am also interested in 3700x/3800x. Lets wait and see what happens. 

I dont want to start a war between intel/amd, I just want to know everybody else opinion. 

The prices where I live at least aren't that different, not enough to really make me lean one way or another. It will be interesting to see how they stack up in P3d. Either way, good for consumers to finally have some competition.

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I don't know about the US but in the UK pre order AMD 3900X £480  Intel 9900k £450 Intel 8086k Pre binned 5.1GHZ £480.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If you can get the 8086k for 480 pounds, I would buy a whole lot and resell them since here (USA) they are from $738 - $888. Are you sure about that price?

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

I don't know about the US but in the UK pre order AMD 3900X £480  Intel 9900k £450 Intel 8086k Pre binned 5.1GHZ £480.

Look for the 3700X.. even so.. not much price difference with Intel's CPUs..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

The prices where I live at least aren't that different, not enough to really make me lean one way or another. It will be interesting to see how they stack up in P3d. Either way, good for consumers to finally have some competition.

34 minutes ago, rjfry said:

AMD-Ryzen-3000-APU-Lineup_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Look for the 3700X.. even so.. not much price difference with Intel's CPUs..

i5-8600K: £257.55 / i7-8700K: £379.98 / i7-8086K: £439.98 / i9-9700K: £379.98 / i9-9900K: £469.98

Ryzen 3600: £189.99 / Ryzen 3600X: £239.99 / Ryzen 3700X: £319.00 / Ryzen 3900X: £479.99 

Unless you are a gamer and streamer, I don't see the need for a 3900X.
Ryzen 3600, 3600X and 3700X are going to be the majority choices for gaming.

The 3600X matches the 8700K in most gaming tests (https://youtu.be/n0uB17Io2is). The 3700X brings AMD into range of the top performing Intel CPUs.

If you're on a good Intel CPU, there's zero point in changing for AMD for gaming.

If, however, you're on a low- or mid-tier Intel or AMD CPU, then the new Zen 2 is well worth looking at, especially if you're already on a Zen 1 / Zen+ CPU.
The AM4 socket is still being used across all generations and most Mobos only require a bios update to make them ready for the new CPU - a worthwhile saving.

• Like 1