Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Multiple copies

Guest garwig2

>I do not use WidevieW now, but I would not hesitate to buy>multiple copies of FS if the same capability was supported>directly by FS, or via an "official" API. Hope the reason is>obvious, but I will be happy to explain further if not.>Same here, one copy right now. I plan to buy a new computer just for FSX, then that will leave me with an additional computer that I would love to run gauges on. Would love it even more if FSX had WideView-like capability built in.

3 versions for me. I have a dedicated gaming rig with a regular install and golden wings install. I then have my design rig with 3DSMax, Gmax, Bryce, carrera, all the SDKS and many other tools/apps and use this for d/ling, designing and testing.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

I would CERTAINLY like the ability to use multiple separate installs of FSX running within the same single Windows environment.I can think of several examples where this would be useful to me as a beta tester for a major addon company:1. We ran into issues recently where we knew a particular addon was causing a conflict with the plane somewhere, but it is an IMMENSE pain to wipe out your entire 14GB FS install just to try it out with a clean copy to verify that the problem is indeed absent on the clean one.2. It would be great to be able to still have one version back a given addon beta installed on another copy of FS to verify fixes and changes etc.If you guys are thinking about implementing the ability to install the sim more than once on the same Windows account/environment, I'd fully support this and think it'd be a great feature for those of us that are developers or testers and/or into tweaking and comparing the effects of such tweaks.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

For me, this is a propos:- I develop add-ons and use one machine for testing and another for running.However, I do own two legal copies... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I would CERTAINLY like the ability to use multiple separate>installs of FSX running within the same single Windows>environment.You can do that already... I have three installs on my flightstation machine:1) FS9 (Virgin - Default)2) FS9 (Retro '50's Theme)3) FS9 (Detailed - All Addons installed)On my development machine I have only a single, default FS9 installed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tdragger

Sorry rich, you'll need to explain (to me anyway) why having FS support WideView-like functionality would make the difference. If the end result is the same, what does it matter?

Guest tdragger

Of all people, Bill, I *know* you wouldn't cheat. ;)

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

>..but there's just nothin' like a clean install :)I hear that!!I only have one copy on one machine, and right now it's slim and tidy and should(!) stay that way!-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!BOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723HC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre, go aheadBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723 has a message for youHC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre is ready to copy messageBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, message is as follows: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday ....

Guest garwig2

>Sorry rich, you'll need to explain (to me anyway) why having>FS support WideView-like functionality would make the>difference. If the end result is the same, what does it>matter?If I may give an answer, since I want the same thing:1. If it is part of FSX I won't have to run additional programs in the background. I *assume* that an integrated prgram will affect performance less than running separate programs (and yes, every little bit of performance counts).2. There's a cost savings since I wouldn't have to purchase third party programs (plural, since I believe it requires purchase of FSUIPC too).3. There is no guarantee that WideView will work with FSX, so I might have to wait until someone can/wants to build somethign for FSX.

Thanks for asking, tdragger.The recent thread concerning FSUIPC addresses most of the concerns and the dilemmas around it. I would gladly invest heavily in high-end hardware, but would feel better knowing that the interface between systems was supported by MS. I do use FSUIPC and WideFS now, and have some experience writing software based on it. While Pete and others do a wonderful job, I have always been concerned that at some point, FS cannot keep internals the same just so FSUIPC will work. You are in a much better position to understand how changes in FSX might affect FSUIPC and WidevieW. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.ThanksRich

I have used two installs before; reasons:1) the need for a clean install vs. a "to the hilt" install2) the need for a clean install for development.As I can't use both simultaneously, I am not breaking the intent of the EULA.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I own two copies (well me and my bro, technically I have just one...) and have them installed on several computers:-one for my laptop-one for my usual FS computerAnd I guess I will install it on some other PCs when I will start to play with WidefS in order to build myself a true DC-10 cockpit.So lots of installs in sight.Regards,CJ

Guest tdragger

That helps. Thanks. Thanks, also, for your implicit statement of trust that we're somehow more reliable than someone like Pete, though I don't know as it's really true.

i have it installed on 3 computers2 of them running WideView (excellent addon, albeit some limitations like weather and traffic synchronizations - i wish FSX team can develop ability to communicate in a widefs enviorment to run some computers for scenery and others for panel)also have it installed on my laptop for when i am traveling or playing around with add onsBo

Bo Klop