Sign in to follow this  
svallott

W10 pro + reinstall FSX ?

I'm going from W7 to W10pro. What about to reinstall FSX on my new computer ? Thanks alot to give me some tips..., Serge

3 hours ago, svallott said:

I'm going from W7 to W10pro. What about to reinstall FSX on my new computer ? Thanks alot to give me some tips..., Serge

I'm not sure that I can, but I'm in the process of doing the same right now. 

First, I imaged my drives using the free version of Macrium Reflect, in the event I needed to revert to my previous installation.

Then I did a clean install of Win10 on C:\, and installed drivers and added the non-FSX apps (e.g. Office, WinRAR, Adobe), printers, etc..

After that I backed up my D:\ drive, which is my flight sim drive and did a format and fresh install of FSX and other FS apps.

Of course I'll now need to copy over all or parts of the config files, profiles, scenery, aircraft, etc.from the backup which were parts of my previous installation to the new installation. 

There is work ahead of me and it will take time to get something resembling the well functioning version of FSX I had, but in the process I will make decisions about what to keep and what to hanger.

Good luck..

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

If your rig has a newer DVD drive or a Blu-Ray drive, you may run into some issues with older cd/dvd discs. I tried installing FSX on my new Windows 10 Pro system from my original disks using my LG Blu-Ray drive. What I found was that if I tried to look at ANY the files in the file tree on that drive in File Explorer, my DVD drive would start rattling like the head was frantically seeking all over the place and it was having a lot of difficulty reading what was on the disk. I could never launch setup.exe this way because I could never even see the file tree. It would just plain hang. What I finally did was eject and reinsert the disk in the drive, open File Explorer but NOT the file tree for the FSX disk. I then right clicked on the DVD drive's icon and was presented with a couple of options, one option was to install FSX. That's the only way I could get my system to install FSX from the disks. So the drive could install the files from the disks just fine, but I couldn't read the list of those files from the disk list in File Explorer. I'm stumped.