Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

Interesting, what was this all about?

Posted (edited)

Skip to 6:50 min mark (walking the throttles and cranking conditioners max/min a few times):

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks to me like a standard part of the run-up for a piston aircraft with constant speed props - cycle the prop RPM to get even oil distribution through the prop governor. Three cycles was standard for radials, but on modern equipment one cycle is more normal.  Usually done on the first flight of the day at least. Is there something else going on that I'm not seeing?

More here: https://pilotworkshop.com/tips/constant-speed-prop/

Edited by Alan_A
  • Upvote 1

Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!"
-- Saint-Exupery

Posted (edited)

Learn something new everyday ... I had no idea about cycling prop RPM.

What was the purpose of walking the Throttles like that (left/right, left/right) until TO power?

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough

As I understand it, if you walk the throttles, you have finer control, because you're working from your wrist rather than from the elbow/shoulder.  Less chance of getting them out of sync.

Not sure how common a practice that is. The pilot in that video is old school, which is another way of saying, he's good.

• Like 1

Alan Ampolsk

-- Saint-Exupery

Posted (edited)

What I liked was it looked like the skipper got out and helped them unload the bags. 

Imagine that with the new breed of 20 year young old ctc l3 Instagram f/os getting their Turkish barber hair and the girls their 300 quid threaded eyebrows damaged. 😁

Edited by fluffyflops

On 7/10/2019 at 1:22 AM, fluffyflops said:

Imagine that with the new breed of 20 year young old ctc l3 Instagram f/os ...

True that.  Though some of it may just go with the turf when you're flying for a tiny regional.  There's a young guy named Swayne Martin who does some slick YouTube videos - he spent a year flying Caravans for Mokulele in Hawaii before he joined Envoy/American Eagle to fly Embraers, and in his Mokulele stuff, he seemed to do his share of bag wrangling.  Was decently cheerful about it.  Of course, he's polished (maybe a little too polished?) and I'm guessing he isn't typical.  I'm sure there are a lot more of your Instagram f/os than there are these guys that are happy to get the job done whatever it takes...

Alan Ampolsk

-- Saint-Exupery