Sign in to follow this  

Slow camera angle transition.

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

Feature suggestion:When looking forward in the cockpit and then changing your view to look somewhere else, it would be nice, if the view panned across to the new view instead of instantly changing to the new view.Benefits:-It heightens the realism that you're actually a 'person' inside the cockpit and not some 'camera'.-You could disable this effect in the menu, for those that don't like it.Thank you for reading.

Guest tdragger

Just to be clear, are you saying that if you (for example) looked to the right the camera should pan smoothly to the right? If so, this works fine today in the virtual cockpit.Or are you saying if you change from looking out the cockpit to tower view the camera should pan from the aircraft to the tower?

It sounds like he's in the 2D cockpit and trying to pan to the side.That DOES bring up an idea of my own though, Mike. You know how you can "snap" the view to the left/right/rear in Virtual Cockpit with the keys (as opposed to the hat, which just pans the view)? How about adding a "head turning" effect that doesnt "snap" the view but rapidly turns the view and then back, similar to how most of the racing simulators simulate looking to the right and left (i.e. simulating the turning of your head to look in a direction real quick then back to staight-ahead). You might have already done that but if not, that might be a good idea.

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>Just to be clear, are you saying that if you (for example)>looked to the right the camera should pan smoothly to the>right? If so, this works fine today in the virtual cockpit.>>Or are you saying if you change from looking out the cockpit>to tower view the camera should pan from the aircraft to the>tower?Mike, thanks for your interest.Excuse me for not making my point so clear:I meant from within the cockpit and then changing the view to the left/right, looking out the sidewindows.I consider myself an intermediate user, as such, I fly with my keyboard 90% of the time and even in VC mode, it instantly moves the viewpoint to the new position.I anticipate this will be hard to do in 2D panels and its ok that it dosen't work in 2D even with a joystick, but perhaps in VC mode? I consider this 'option' a medium benefit (not essential, but prefereable) to other people, especially new users that don't have a joystick yet.As far as panning from the aircraft to the tower is concerned, pevious versions of FS (v3/4/5 I think) already had this implemented, but was later dropped which is ok, its not a 'deterrent'.

Guest DreamFleet

When I am in the VC, I pan to the direction I want, as in real life with turning my head, and the pan rate can be adjusted in the FS9.cfg file. Thus, the feature is already there. If you want a slower transition, you "pan", if you want to "snap" to that view you "look".The panning feature is about as real as you will get in the VC, and you can pan with your key board. I do it all the time as I do not have a hat switch on my PFC yoke. If you use Active camera, you can also do it with your mouse, even zoom in with the wheel, and that is really nice.As to the 2D panels, especially those with 2D interior views, this is really not possible, as the views are fixed. However you can still pan left to right in the outside world, however it will still appear against the current 2D view bitmap that is on the screen.Of course, I am speaking about FS9, not anything in FSX.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest tdragger

As Lou states, this basically works today in the virtual cockpit. The trick with 2D panel is that it's not really a 3D environment. We could pan the outside view but the panel would remain fixed. What we currently do is set the view direction in the PANEL.CFG file and when you snap to an oblique view we switch off the 2D panel and show the VC.It's not a perfect solution and shows off the limitations of the 2D panel view. Net-net: if you want a more immersive experience where you really get the sense that your head is in the aircraft, use the virtual cockpit.

Guest tdragger

Regarding the racing-style "glance" feature, this already works in FS2004, provided you hook up an analog control to the panning axes. This is how I configured the right thumbstick on the Xbox 360 controller (see http://blogs.msdn.com/tdragger/archive/200...17/513958.aspx). Of course, most joyticks aren't really optimized for this functionality since the four main analog axes are already taken up by pitch, roll, yaw and throttle.I suppose you could hook the Z-rotation to the left/right axis and fly using auto-rudder or rudder pedals. (Actually I just tested it--it works pretty well actually!)Play around with it and tell me what you think.

I think he is in the VC, but is referring to resetting the default view? So when panning to another view let's say down or up or left or right and then you reset the view to the default straight ahead view in the VC it snaps back to those coordinates set in the .cfg file instead of panning slowly back to them.Ian.

Guest tdragger

Panning in the VC does not snap back by default. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

>Panning in the VC does not snap back by default. Perhaps I'm>misunderstanding.Mike, he means when "pressing the space bar" to reset the VC view to default, it 'snaps' instead of 'panning.' ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tdragger

Got it. Thanks, Bill. Hmmm, have to think about that one...

Hi.>I suppose you could hook the Z-rotation to the left/right axis and fly using auto-rudder >or rudder pedals. (Actually I just tested it--it works pretty well actually!)I think that is one of the best, and most underused feature in VC, MSFS. With rudder pedals, or any extra available axis, this is the best way to look around, and I hope it continues.I see a lot of eye candy requests. It is my hope that this Simulator does not stray further toward what is becoming a Scenery viewer.New Airport Signage, better Coastal rendering, more realistic Roads that glow / light up at night can give a more realistic representation of real life, if done right. At the same time lit roads can eliminate the need for most of the terrain night textures.One of the biggest problems, besides Flight modeling, is the lack of fluid / smooth updates, an I hope that a large effort is being spent on over coming that issue. TV

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

Is there something about my English that gets you guys persistently confused? :( ;)Let me try another approach:1-In VC mode.2-Using keyboard ONLY.When pressing "SHIFT+num keypad 6" (right arrow), the view instantly looks right.I would like it (perhaps others too) if this transition view panned to the right.(Just as if you used the joystick to pan the view)Then when you change to another view, say, pressing "SHIFT+num pad 4" (left arrow), then the view pans across from the right side to the left.Please don't ask me to post a pic of a keyboard where I draw a diagram :( ;)

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

>In addition to the space bar, I think he means using all the>view keys in the VC.>>Hope this helps,>-->Tom Gibson>>Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com>>Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com>>Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___Yes, exactly, thanks for explaining in 1 sentence what I tried to do in a paragragh :)