Sign in to follow this  
nixous

how to get the GTN Catalog to find/view the .gfp files?

With so many versions and issues floating around out there with regards to versions and changes with them, I am not sure which to follow, so I am hoping someone can help me without redirecting me as I have read the manual and the forum topics and I am still at a loss.  Using the versions in the links, how to get the GTN Catalog to find/view the .gfp files?  I read the manual, following the steps on page 9 “Flight Plans and User Waypoints” and no luck.  I tried to create a FPLN folder in c:\programdata\garmin\trainers\databases\FPLN, I also tried the alternate instructions creating a shortcut, neither work.  It does not see any .gfp files, including the KSLE provided by RXP. All I see is KPDX KPDX when I click the Catalog icon on the GTN with no option to import like the image shown on page 9. Also, the note 12 on page 9 at the bottom confuses me even more.  There is no GTNNAVDATA folder anywhere and it says the FPLN folder must reside in there, while the instruction on page 9 says the FPLN should be in the c:\programdata\garmin\trainers\databases\FPLN.  I’m totally lost.  Can someone walk me through how to get the Catalog to see the .gfp files? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, nixous said:

There is no GTNNAVDATA folder anywhere and it says the FPLN folder must reside in there

Hi,

this is not what the user's manual says. Instead, it says it must reside in the folder known as GTNNAVDATA. 

The 'known as' is further explained in the chapter "Configuring Alternate Paths" p17 like indicated in the footnotes.

Just locate the folder known as 'GTNNAVDATA' on your drive (depending on your trainer version - see p17), then create the FPLN shortcut or folder there.

Is short, these are convenient 'alias' names to known GTN trainer folder locations. They are used as shorter-to-type references in the manual and they are the named environment variables you can use to redirect the trainer to alternate locations.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi RXP, 

Thanks for the reply.  I read the manual and now that I understand what known as means, it still does not work.  I tried the steps outlined at all I see is KPDX KPDX and no option to display import comes up.  Can you maybe walk me through it and where the problem is please? Sorry as I am not that smart so pointing back to the manual may not help me in this case.  Thank you for you assistance.

Edited by nixous

The manual says: 
The first step is to create a virtual datacard folder where to store the flight plans and the user waypoints. 

Which you've done now.

It also says: 
The second step is to create one or more flight plan files with the ".gfp" file extension and one "user.wpt" file.

Obviously, if you don't put any file there it won't offer to load any.

Did you also put some .gfp files there? If not, please further read the manual p9 to get the path to an installed sample pack you can copy there for testing.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Here's what I did:

1. I went to this path C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases.  I created a folder in here called FPLN so the the path is now C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN.  I then put the .gfp files in here.  This did not work. 

2.  I created a folder called Documents and then inside of this folder I created a folder called GTN Flight Plans.  I then put the .gfp files in this folder.  I then created a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases so the shortcut would point to the GTN Flight Plans folder I just created. This did not work.

3. I then tried to point the shortcut to Documents in instead of GTN Flight Plans.  This did not work.  

4.  I tried steps 1, 2 and 3 but deleted the FPLN folder I created in step 1 from C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases but leaving the FPLN shortcut there.  This did not work.

5.  I went to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN and created a folder called FPLN and placed the .gfp files here.  This did not work.

6.  I tried step 5 with steps 1 through 4 and without steps 1 through 4.  This did not work.

Is it not as simple as creating a FPLN folder in some path and putting your files in there?  This seems to be a confusing procedure.  What do I need to do to get this to work?

43 minutes ago, nixous said:

1. I went to this path C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases.  I created a folder in here called FPLN so the the path is now C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN.  I then put the .gfp files in here.  This did not work. 

2.  I created a folder called Documents and then inside of this folder I created a folder called GTN Flight Plans.  I then put the .gfp files in this folder.  I then created a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases so the shortcut would point to the GTN Flight Plans folder I just created. This did not work.

both these are correct for GTN trainer 6.50.1 (and 6.62.0 for which our update is coming up soon)

NB: you can only have a FPLN folder, or a FPLN shortcut. If you have both, the folder takes precedence over the shortcut.

Make sure to review the GTN Pilot's Guide section 4.6 Import Flight Plans with a. Datacard. It is a two level deep menu...

Like our manual says:

1) On the GTN device, while viewing the Flight Plan page, touch the Menu key and then the Catalog key to display the Flight Plan Catalog. 2) Touch the Catalog Menu key, then the Import key to open a pop-up with a list of the file names of the flight plans on the datacard, then select the desired flight plan to import.

1 hour ago, RXP said:

both these are correct for GTN trainer 6.50.1 (and 6.62.0 for which our update is coming up soon)

NB: you can only have a FPLN folder, or a FPLN shortcut. If you have both, the folder takes precedence over the shortcut.

Make sure to review the GTN Pilot's Guide section 4.6 Import Flight Plans with a. Datacard. It is a two level deep menu...

Like our manual says:

1) On the GTN device, while viewing the Flight Plan page, touch the Menu key and then the Catalog key to display the Flight Plan Catalog. 2) Touch the Catalog Menu key, then the Import key to open a pop-up with a list of the file names of the flight plans on the datacard, then select the desired flight plan to import.

"NB: you can only have a FPLN folder, or a FPLN shortcut. If you have both, the folder takes precedence over the shortcut."  --

-- If you read the steps I followed, i tried where I did not have both, it did not work., 

There is no section 4.6 or any section called Import Flight Plans in the Pilot's Guide: https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-01007-03_0B_web.pdf.? There is a Section 4 but it does not say anything about importing.

When I go to Catalog on the GTN nothing shows that I can import like your manual says, no icon, no pop up nothing. 

Again, what do I need to do to get this working, please don't refer me to another manual and just tell me what I need to do please.

Choose Menu a second time... after getting to the Catalog.

Flight Plan / Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import

• Like 1

Bert

26 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Choose Menu a second time... after getting to the Catalog.

Flight Plan / Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import

Thank you a million Bert! You helped me yesterday and came through for me again today!!  You do indeed have to click the Menu icon TWICE.  That's where it wasn't clear to me.  

I was clicking -> Flight Plans -> Menu -> Catalog assuming the Import button would be here.  But what you have to do is actually -> Flight Plans -> Menu -> Catalog -> Menu.

Now I am struggling with actually importing as it is saying the waypoints are locked?  Man it is like one thing after another with this.  Any idea how to get past this now?

Edited by nixous

25 minutes ago, nixous said:

I was clicking -> Flight Plans -> Menu -> Catalog assuming the Import button would be here.  But what you have to do is actually -> Flight Plans -> Menu -> Catalog -> Menu.

My flight plan catalog menu shows two options only (Delete All / Delete Pending"), no Import, what am I missing here?

2 hours ago, nixous said:

Thank you a million Bert! You helped me yesterday and came through for me again today!!  You do indeed have to click the Menu icon TWICE.  That's where it wasn't clear to me.  

Now I am struggling with actually importing as it is saying the waypoints are locked?  Man it is like one thing after another with this.  Any idea how to get past this now?

Choose Store and Edit and remove the locked waypoints.

Waypoints are locked if they are not in the database, or if they are ambiguous..

How did you generate the gfp plan to start with?

Bert

3 hours ago, nixous said:

You do indeed have to click the Menu icon TWICE.  That's where it wasn't clear to me.  

5 hours ago, RXP said:

Just to highlight this in case others are having the same issue.

22 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Choose Store and Edit and remove the locked waypoints.

Waypoints are locked if they are not in the database, or if they are ambiguous..

How did you generate the gfp plan to start with?

Got it ... I selected Store then Edit and see the locked waypoint(s). 

I see what you mean by not in the database or ambiguous.  In my case there are two waypoints with the same name (one in the US and one in Japan).

I am using simbrief to generate flight plans.  It can export to many formats, one of then being the .gfp.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

I'm having a similar issue that maybe you can assist with.

Why is my GTN750 only seeing the KSLE_KSLE.gfp plan as an option for import and not the others that are in the same folder?

Using a text editor my plans appear to be accurate to work on the GTN750.

@tpete61 is this with the newest GTN Trainer 6.62 and RXP GTN v2.5.19?