Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Now after getting Xplane 11 what is the best way to enhance it ?

I have just replaced my XP10 with XP11. Now what is the best way to enhance it ? What are the must or strongly recommended addons for it ?
I am in the first hand thinking about free ware scenery enhancement but can also consider payware. For now I already have X camera (not registered)
and the SM Beaver plane (my only payware) and some airports from the XP10 installation.

When giving recommendations also consider my system. For example I have found an UHD mesh where it was stated minimum 32 GB RAM recommended 64 Gb which meant a NO NO for me. I have

CPU I7 Haswell 4770K OC 4.5 GHz
RAM 16 Gb 2200 MHz (can not be upgraded)
Video card GTX 970 4 Gb (can and will probably be upgraded later)
In current setup I have the visual sliders (except AA) maxed out and have fps over 21 fps

Why not try ortho4XP which allows you to make orthoscenery files. I generally use this when I've coverted some FSX airports. It of course depends on how much hard-drive space you have.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

To start with, here are some free add-ons that I enjoy:

Japan Pro -- a free scenery package at the .org file library. It adds localized autogen buildings (lots of pink and blue rooftops!), and makes it fun to fly around Japan. Also includes a few extras like bullet trains.

The free HD and UHD terrain mesh at http://www.alpilotx.net/. The HD mesh covers most of the world except for Africa and parts of Asia and the Middle East, improving the quality of things like mountains, rivers, and forest placement. The UHD mesh covers selected scenic areas at higher resolution, although you may need 32 GB of system RAM to run it.

The free Bell 429 helicopter, a great model over at the .org library. It uses the plugin for the payware X-Trident Bell 412 (also a great model) so you have advanced features like 4-axis autopilot.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The free HD and UHD terrain mesh at http://www.alpilotx.net/. The HD mesh covers most of the world except for Africa and

I have tried that HD mesh in an area around where I live. I see that it has improved scenery. But I also got a problem here. I had an airport installed ESGP and after installing this HD mesh the buildings at the airport are no longer visible. What could that be ?

17 minutes ago, jfri said:

I have tried that HD mesh in an area around where I live. I see that it has improved scenery. But I also got a problem here. I had an airport installed ESGP and after installing this HD mesh the buildings at the airport are no longer visible. What could that be ?

Check your scenery_packs.ini file in the Custom Scenery directory, and make sure the "zzz_" prefix folders for the HD scenery are below the airport scenery file in that list. The order in the Custom Scenery directory should be something like this:

Global Scenery
KSEA Demo Area
(Your custom airport 1)
(Your custom airport 2, etc)
X-Plane Landmarks (several)
zzz_hd_global_scenery4
scenery_packs.ini

X-Plane loads files from the bottom up in that list, so files at the top have priority. Usually that happens automatically with HD scenery having that zzz prefix, but sometimes the order can get screwed up in the scenery_packs.ini file. You can rebuild that .ini file just by deleting it, and X-Plane will make a new one based on the directory structure, with zzz files at the bottom.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 7/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, Paraffin said:

To start with, here are some free add-ons that I enjoy:

Japan Pro -- a free scenery package at the .org file library. It adds localized autogen buildings (lots of pink and blue rooftops!), and makes it fun to fly around Japan. Also includes a few extras like bullet trains.

The free HD and UHD terrain mesh at http://www.alpilotx.net/. The HD mesh covers most of the world except for Africa and parts of Asia and the Middle East, improving the quality of things like mountains, rivers, and forest placement. The UHD mesh covers selected scenic areas at higher resolution, although you may need 32 GB of system RAM to run it.

The free Bell 429 helicopter, a great model over at the .org library. It uses the plugin for the payware X-Trident Bell 412 (also a great model) so you have advanced features like 4-axis autopilot.

When trying out these HD mesh OrthoXP and also have found World2Xplane one question arise. Do they different things so I could use all ? Or should I take care to note use more than one since it could mess up things by two product trying to do the same thing ?

It can be very beautiful with some enhancements. Here a video for example 🙂

• Like 2

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

On 7/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, Paraffin said:

Check your scenery_packs.ini file in the Custom Scenery directory, and make sure the "zzz_" prefix folders for the HD scenery are below the airport scenery file in that list. The order in the Custom Scenery directory should be something like this:

Global Scenery
KSEA Demo Area
(Your custom airport 1)
(Your custom airport 2, etc)
X-Plane Landmarks (several)
zzz_hd_global_scenery4
scenery_packs.ini

The custom airports should be on top of everything including XP scenery and demo areas.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, jfri said:

I have just replaced my XP10 with XP11. Now what is the best way to enhance it ? What are the must or strongly recommended addons for it ?
I am in the first hand thinking about free ware scenery enhancement but can also consider payware. For now I already have X camera (not registered)
and the SM Beaver plane (my only payware) and some airports from the XP10 installation.

When giving recommendations also consider my system. For example I have found an UHD mesh where it was stated minimum 32 GB RAM recommended 64 Gb which meant a NO NO for me. I have

CPU I7 Haswell 4770K OC 4.5 GHz
RAM 16 Gb 2200 MHz (can not be upgraded)
Video card GTX 970 4 Gb (can and will probably be upgraded later)
In current setup I have the visual sliders (except AA) maxed out and have fps over 21 fps

I think this link will help you out with your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsbkI4UO9FA&list=WL&index=65&t=0s

Edited by Tierborn
  • Like 1

Making your own scenery can be great. I have done quite a few tiles with Ortho4xp and am pretty happy with the results, however there is definitely a learning curve. For free I would go with some of the forkboy pre built orthos. But the ultimate at the moment, I believe, is what Orbx has done with the TE series. They have a demo for Great Britain south that you could check out. The overlay data they use for buildings trees and roads are unsurpassed. And the time saved building goes into flying. Cheers!

19 minutes ago, Bob Tildesley said:

Making your own scenery can be great. I have done quite a few tiles with Ortho4xp and am pretty happy with the results, however there is definitely a learning curve. For free I would go with some of the forkboy pre built orthos. But the ultimate at the moment, I believe, is what Orbx has done with the TE series. They have a demo for Great Britain south that you could check out. The overlay data they use for buildings trees and roads are unsurpassed. And the time saved building goes into flying. Cheers!

I have used Ortho4xp to create some scenery around my hometown. For being free the result are great. There are some annoyances for example bridges where we see a gray band under the bridge. Also My drive is marked red for being over filled.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:02 PM, Mountain Man said:

VC6sjOx.jpg

I have the similar orginal CH Sim Yoke + CH rudders. The yoke I haven't used since I bought TM Hotas Warthog controller