Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

FSX - Will there be frame-rate issues like FS9?

They already found the solution to this problem :) Its called DirectX 10, and if optimized the code performs about 8 TIMES FASTER than DirectX 9. So in the worst case scenario if your getting just 5 FPS with DirectX 9, this becomes 40 (5 x 8 = 40) FPS with DirectX 10. And remember, that was in early testing too, the cards aren't even out yet.

>They already found the solution to this problem :) Its called>DirectX 10, and if optimized the code performs about 8 TIMES>FASTER than DirectX 9. So in the worst case scenario if your>getting just 5 FPS with DirectX 9, this becomes 40 (5 x 8 =>40) FPS with DirectX 10. And remember, that was in early>testing too, the cards aren't even out yet.LOL, got any data to back that up with ;-)Would be nice if trueRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

How does DirectX 10 solve world hunger?:(-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!BOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723HC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre, go aheadBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723 has a message for youHC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre is ready to copy messageBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, message is as follows: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday ....

No but theres a video on Gamespot with Chris Donahue, Microsoft Director of Developer Relations for Windows Graphics and Gaming :)

Guest tdragger

True, but you need to listen closely to what he said.

Yeah of course there will always be the whiners. But in all honesty I do think there is a considerable performance issue with 3rd-party add-ons in fs9. For example, I make HUGE compromises when flying the PMDG 747 the way I want to fly it, i.e, being very limited in which destinations I fly to. This location limitation, btw, is after I put my sliders to the left. Could we fly, say the PMDG 747-400 (VC), into Heathrow, JFK, Miami or KLAX etc. with 3rd party ai traffic and still get a smooth ride in FSX? I'm not attacking MSFS programers. I also know that 3rd party developers play a significant role in the way 3rd party software performs. Just suggesting a different perspective from: "there will always be people complaining".Tristan

In relation to this topic, this is what I understand.Shader Model 4.0 reportedly is termed a

Guest tdragger

HLSL 4.0 will benefit games that were already running up against the shader length barrier but won't necessarily give as much boost if the shaders were already pretty small. Besides, most graphics pros will tell you to use the lowest shader model that will accomplish what you want. The lower the model the better job the GPU can do optimizing calls.

>while now. It is quite acceptable to expect some improvements>in an updated version of a consumer product. Your expectations should be directed at hardware manufacturers, they are the ones that will give you better FPS.>edge technology that is available to us today. I would like to>meet at a halfway point by taking full advantage of today

What will you be able to do with FSX once DirectX 10 is released that you won't be able to before hand? If you release an DirectX 9 version of FSX, will it be a matter of just adding a DirectX 10 patch (downloaded from the web) to receive benefits? Or, will an entirely new version (FSXI) have to be written?Thanks!RH

Either case is fine but lets not wait another 3 long years for the high performance one based on DX10. If the technology is here today lets use it.

For years I've been following the reviews and benchmark tests of video cards and cpu's at some of the better tech sites (anand, tom's, extremetech, etc...) and it seems to me as though FS9 and probably FS10 will benefit most by concentrating on optimizing for CPU!!! Current video cards are more than fast enough. Off-loading more work to the gpu will help the cpu. That's where DX10 and Vista come in. I guess next best thing to cpu optimization is writing cleaner and faster code which means DX10 comes into play. I would be willing to bet a big amount that MS has stuff waiting in the wings to show off their DX10 and how well it performs. What better product to use than CPU hungry FS v.X software. Look what X-plane can do with optimized code, (and that's one guy), I'm sure MS isn't telling what thay have in store for us. I hope!

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris