Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Correct flap extension during approach with A320

Hi,

unfortunately I'm not 100% sure about the perfect flaps extension procedure during approach. Currently I'm doing it the following way but I think its not correct.

I reduce speed to 190-210 knots and select flaps 1. When selecting flaps 1 I notice the S symbol for slat retraction showing up at e.g. 180 knots and I reduce my speed futher below the given S speed. When passing S speed I select flaps 2. Then the F symbol is showing up with flaps 2 selected at a very low speed of e.g. 140 knots. According to what I'e read I have to wait now with selecting flaps 3 until the speed indicator passes the F symbol. Then I select flaps 3. The F symbol however then doesnt move anymore. When do I have to select flaps full? Is this depending on the configuration in the MCDU?

Thanks!

Best regards Andi

You best select the Flaps at 10 Knots below the VFE speed. You can see the speeds on the main panel placard or the orange marking at the speed tape. This is a good starting point, in real life there are many variables to consider, but for flightsim this should work well. I like it to be configured rather early, so you dont mess up with getting hot and high.

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

What Airbus?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Check this link out. Starting at page 91. It shouldn’t matter which Airbus you are flying. Hope it helps. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Samaritano said:

Check this link out. Starting at page 91. It shouldn’t matter which Airbus you are flying. Hope it helps. 

Great document Samaritano, clear and concise and from a real world AAL Airbus pilot, thank you!

Edited by Jean-Claude

Or, ask an Airbus pilot:

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Both the link and the video from Blackbox are spot on and very true to real world opps.  I'd follow those. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Thx! Very good video 🙂

Two questions that came up with the video. 

Whats the best way to see the Final approach fix in the airplane Instruments?

Is there a way to see the runway threshold elevation in the Instruments or do I need to reckon it out myself?

18 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

Whats the best way to see the Final approach fix in the airplane Instruments?

I think the Airbus has a clever formating to identity critical fixes during an approach.
CFXXX would be "final course" fix, and I think it is the equivalent of the Intermediate Fix (IF) on approach plates

FFXXX is the "Final Fix" - and yepp it should be the published final approach fix/point (depending on nomenclature)

And as always don''t look on the instruments alone, cross check with the published charts.

For precision approach (ILS), that fix is called FAP / Final Approach Point. On Jeppesen charts that would be where intermediate approach segment intercects with the glideslope. Marked on LIDO charts with a "P" on the profile view. 
For non-precision approaches, FAF is marked with a maltese cross in the profile view of the chart (jepp) OR with the letter F on LIDO charts. On LIDO charts that depicts an ILS or LOC approach (with glideslope inop) and the FAP and FAF coincides, only the FAP will be shown on the profile view.

SsrA9Z2.png

Example VOR APP into Samos / LGSM). Jeppesen (left) and LIDO (right)

dAjwUpI.png

21 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

Is there a way to see the runway threshold elevation in the Instruments or do I need to reckon it out myself?

The landing runway and hard coded altitude should be in your MCDU flightplan page. But threshold altitude is also published in the already mentioned IAC (goes for both Jepp / LIDO) 🙂

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

The landing runway and hard coded altitude should be in your MCDU flightplan page. But threshold altitude is also published in the already mentioned IAC (goes for both Jepp / LIDO) 🙂

Sorry... I think my question was not clearly formulated. Lets assume runway treshold elevation is 200feet and my plane is flying 2300feet. Then I would be flying 2100feet above threshold. Do I always have to do this reckoning or is there a figure in my cockpit Instruments telling me the 2100 feet?

18 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

Sorry... I think my question was not clearly formulated. Lets assume runway treshold elevation is 200feet and my plane is flying 2300feet. Then I would be flying 2100feet above threshold. Do I always have to do this reckoning or is there a figure in my cockpit Instruments telling me the 2100 feet?

Aha, I see.
Well, you always have  the radar altimeter (RA) at your disposal. That read-out can be found on your PFD.
But that only reflects terrain which is straight below you. The runway can still be several nautical miles away and have a different field elevation than the terrain you are overflying.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |