Sign in to follow this  
Farlis

P3D framerate limiter in VR

Topic title says it: Does anyone of you use it, and what do you set it to?

I'm asking because of ASW and it's effect on framerates in VR.

I don't. Locking anywhere causes stutters on my machine. I believe the word in general is that you need unlimited with VR.

Single pass vr, limit to 25fps and turn off asw. 

• Like 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

25FPS?

Switching off ASW?

I thought the goal in VR is to get fps above 70 so that you don't start to feel funny (which I definately do if they drop below a certain threshold). 

Sow what benefits would switching off ASW give me if my natural frames are not anywhere near 70?

If you can get 70 FPS on p3d using addons with decent eye candy, ignore what I said. 

Turning off asw gets rid of the juddering when FPS is not high enough and hmd is is in motion. 

Easiest thing is just try what’s suggested and decide for yourself. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

On 7/17/2019 at 12:36 AM, Farlis said:

25FPS?

Switching off ASW?

I thought the goal in VR is to get fps above 70 so that you don't start to feel funny (which I definately do if they drop below a certain threshold). 

Sow what benefits would switching off ASW give me if my natural frames are not anywhere near 70?

25 fps is the simulator fps and 70 or more is the headset fps. Best way to go is to set the simulator fps to be a multiple of the headset fps. So if the headset is at 70fps, the simulator at 35fps.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, glider1 said:

25 fps is the simulator fps and 70 or more is the headset fps. Best way to go is to set the simulator fps to be a multiple of the headset fps. So if the headset is at 70fps, the simulator at 35fps.

I could be wrong but I think the headset at least my Rift and now Rift S clips itself at multiples of the headset frequency Rift was 90Hz and Rift S is 80Hz.

So I would get 90 > 45 > 30  and so on and now 80 > 40 etc. with P3D set to unlimited with Vsync and Tripple buffering OFF.    Also use Single Pass Rendering in P3D !

Additionally I use the Oculus Debug tool to Disable ASW and set Pixel Density to 1.6. 

I've never tried to limit frames in P3D and I'm not sure my Rift would even acknowledge that if I did??

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

35 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I could be wrong but I think the headset at least my Rift and now Rift S clips itself at multiples of the headset frequency Rift was 90Hz and Rift S is 80Hz.

So I would get 90 > 45 > 30  and so on and now 80 > 40 etc. with P3D set to unlimited with Vsync and Tripple buffering OFF.    Also use Single Pass Rendering in P3D !

Additionally I use the Oculus Debug tool to Disable ASW and set Pixel Density to 1.6. 

I've never tried to limit frames in P3D and I'm not sure my Rift would even acknowledge that if I did??

Joe

Thanks for that. Do you find P3D now trying to lock your simulator to 20fps in dense scenery situations? On the old Rift it would try to lock to 22-23 because that is 1/4 of 90.

2 hours ago, glider1 said:

Thanks for that. Do you find P3D now trying to lock your simulator to 20fps in dense scenery situations? On the old Rift it would try to lock to 22-23 because that is 1/4 of 90.

I keep my settings turned down enough in VR that it hangs around 40 or worst case 27 ie 1/3 of 80 in heavy airport taxing situations. I keep two profiles, one for 2D and one for VR.

Ironically I like the Rift S at 80Hz because 40 is easier for me to hold than 45 was.

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I will try to switch of ASW and see what that does. So far I was under the impression that it is supposed to help with low frames, since you should be getting 80frames for a hassle free experience. And since no one will get 80Frames within P3D on the ground except with turning all detail to zero, ASW steps in.

5 hours ago, Farlis said:

I will try to switch of ASW and see what that does. So far I was under the impression that it is supposed to help with low frames, since you should be getting 80frames for a hassle free experience. And since no one will get 80Frames within P3D on the ground except with turning all detail to zero, ASW steps in.

My experience with ASW or at least in my case the vives "reprojection" is I got 'wobbly' looking imagery with it enabled.  Disabling it stopped the wobbly looking scene, and seemed to smooth things out a bit.  Everyone's situation is different so your mileage may vary.

Edited by pegruder
  • Upvote 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals