Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Poll: How do you want to pay for MS2020?

How do you want to pay for MS2020?  

202 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Assuming MS2020 wants a money stream… ( note multiple choice!)

• 1 - Sure, what's another subscription, I'll get it.
    • 1 - If the scheme is fair I'll consider it.
    • 1 - Requires a subscription, I'll not buy or play it.
    • 2 - Own then piecemeal like Flight, is what I'd prefer.
    • 3 - Monthly subscription is fine.
    • 3 - I want pay per use, so per minute or Gigabyte payment scheme.
    • 4 - Other.

Just tested 21.00hrs UK 22ms Latency Download 94.2Mbps Upload 6.0Mbps.

I use Which Magazine broadband tester were you can compare your speed in your area against other ISPs, speeds will very according to time of day and traffic evening tending to be slower.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, Cruachan said:

a few miles south of Edinburgh City Centre

Uh, I think he's in the UK. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I don't even come near subscription models. I pay for the software once and that's it. If a new paid version comes out later, i'll then decide if i want to pay more or not.

Bandwidth wouldn't be a problem:

IooVdBW.png

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Scotland must have better bandwidth options than 1.2MBps?  I've been to Scotland several times and love it, it's another one of those places on my list to retire to ... but I still don't think I can stomach the stomach 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

Scottish areas worst for broadband speeds, says Which? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40408376

Scottish areas with 'best and worst' broadband http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46945879

Our speeds would be faster were we linked all the way to our local exchange by fibre. As the crow flies, that BT exchange is only a mile away and yet our speeds are limited by the copper wire connection between our house and their street cabinet which is also only a mile away. Ironically, last year we had a street cabinet installed nearby (a couple of hundred yards) by Virgin and yet their broadband service is not yet available. However, I have expressed an interest so will be advised in due course when the situation changes.

Regarding the ‘stomach’, two conditions are of overriding importance: 1. The mature creature is best captured carefully during the month of January, and 2. You note the length of it’s legs. It’s well known that prime examples spend their lives browsing around steep hilly areas. Natural evolution has made this easier by ensuring 2 legs on one side are shorter. If all 4 legs are the same length then you know you have bagged an inferior specimen and the quality of the eating is likely to disappoint.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 3

This is why the UK Government want`s to separate openreach from BT as they have been dragging there feet as they know this will allow SKY to sell broadband at high speed not just BT, as well as other ISPs.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Text “no subscription”

That's enough for me :laugh:

On 7/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cruachan said:

Regarding the ‘stomach’, two conditions are of overriding importance: 1. The mature creature is best captured carefully during the month of January, and 2. You note the length of it’s legs. It’s well known that prime examples spend their lives browsing around steep hilly areas. Natural evolution has made this easier by ensuring 2 legs on one side are shorter. If all 4 legs are the same length then you know you have bagged an inferior specimen and the quality of the eating is likely to disappoint.

Heartless buggers! Haggis hunting should be banned. Don't kill what you wont eat.

:ph34r: We know who you are and where you live.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, Chock said:

I want to pay for it in unmarked, non-sequential, low denomination bills, placed in three black plastic bin bags, left on the third floor of an abandoned multi-storey car park, at midnight.🤣

MS response:

MSFS – Done. Once you make the drop, head south 3 kilometers. Locate a metal trash bin, retrieve mobile phone at bottom of bin. At 1:06AM text “no subscription”. Await further instruction.

Brilliant!

Only problem @Chock, everyone now knows the drop point...

😆

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 7/12/2019 at 1:01 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I am curious why almost 40% of respondents don't want a subscription process?  For folks that pirate software, it's obvious, but for all the honest people (I'll assume the better of people here) what's the negatives behind a subscription?  (posting here on AVSIM so I assume internet connection isn't a problem)

Some people (such as myself) have an inexplicable phobia of recurrent costs. I pay 8 euros per month for my phone plan (as low as I could find), paid for the phone in cash. I bought my car in cash, instead of taking a loan or leasing, etc etc.

For people who are wired this way, there is certain comfort in knowing they really *have* the money for something, they bought it, it's done, now it's theirs, and they can use it how they want to, for how long they want to, no limitations or questions asked.

It doesn't mean it's better or worse, but for such people, it's simply a preference. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Software is NEVER yours to own. EULA.

True, as far as the copyright licensing laws are concerned.

In practical terms, it's a question of how long you can still use software if the developer disappears -- whether there is a "phone home" authorization, required online content and so on. Not to mention OS and driver compatibility issues as we continue moving forward with new hardware and drivers. 

I've been using home PCs since the earliest days, and I've long ago stopped thinking of software as something I "own." It works until it doesn't, and then I move on to the next thing.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I was thinking about this the other day, and how since the dawn of phone-home software checks, I've heard (and repeated) the complaint that the company could one day shut down the service and I wouldn't be able to play anymore. However, I've been playing PC games of all stripes for decades now and as far as I can remember, that particular scenario has never happened to me.

Being fully aware that just because something hasn't happened to me doesn't mean that it isn't a problem, but I used to imagine that as the doomsday scenario and it hasn't impacted me in the least.

I'm just glad there will be no mandatory subscription 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Some of us would prefer not to have automatic recurring payments, something that should be too hard to understand.

Hook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;