VeryBumpy

Poll: How do you want to pay for MS2020?

How do you want to pay for MS2020?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming MS2020 wants a money stream… ( note multiple choice!)

• 1 - Sure, what's another subscription, I'll get it.
    • 1 - If the scheme is fair I'll consider it.
    • 1 - Requires a subscription, I'll not buy or play it.
    • 2 - Own then piecemeal like Flight, is what I'd prefer.
    • 3 - Monthly subscription is fine.
    • 3 - I want pay per use, so per minute or Gigabyte payment scheme.
    • 4 - Other.

The subscription is not for Microsoft Flight Simulator but the portal called PC Game Pass or XBOX Game pass which gives you access to Azure Cloud I think you will find.  

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I am curious why almost 40% of respondents don't want a subscription process?  For folks that pirate software, it's obvious, but for all the honest people (I'll assume the better of people here) what's the negatives behind a subscription?  (posting here on AVSIM so I assume internet connection isn't a problem)

I would ideally like to have it on disc or perhaps a one-time downloadable chunk of files for both the simulator as well as the scenery. Similar to the experience you go through when downloading Orthos for XP. You have a large chunk of files, set it to download and off you go about your business for a good few hours before it's all done and ready for you to enjoy.

My only reservation against streaming data in the sim is due to the poor internet speeds we have here in the Middle East (UAE, in my case) alongside the exorbitant price to get basic speeds compared to other parts of the globe. Add to it the highly asymmetrical connection and it's a disaster overall for end users.

Here's a chart that shows what we have to pay compared to the rest of the world: https://imgur.com/a/X1EAc
Although the chart shows UAE at the top, it actually puts us at the bottom. Have to love the irony there.

Edited by krazyk

So you would be OK download 2-3 TB of data for a flight possibly a short flight at that, then again for another flight.

I want to pay for it in unmarked, non-sequential, low denomination bills, placed in three black plastic bin bags, left on the third floor of an abandoned multi-storey car park, at midnight.🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Chock said:

I want to pay for it in unmarked, non-sequential, low denomination bills, placed in three black plastic bin bags, left on the third floor of an abandoned multi-storey car park, at midnight.🤣

That's all well and good, but what about the taxes? :dry:

Is this thread for real or have I missed the joke? :unsure:

Possible to have it both ways ?...probably not but... pay once and be done, or if you want updates online flying etc. you pay the subscription ?, but like I said I'd rather pay for it off the shelf and be done, iRacing is the best racing sim, however subscription based and a money pit. I hope this new MSFS isn't a money pit.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

How about Monopoly money?

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

So you would be OK download 2-3 TB of data for a flight possibly a short flight at that, then again for another flight.

More like 2-3 GB, and it may be the only option.

Hook

11 minutes ago, LHookins said:

More like 2-3 GB, and it may be the only option.

Hook

That would not cover an airport 🙄.

All these posts with opinions are purely subjective. The cost will be based on the base sim.  The question no one has pondered is , 'What does the base sim have and include?'  

Thats what determines how the subscription model has value. Does it include full wx thats realistic enough and doesnt need 3PD?  What about default airports? Are they good enough and do not need enhanced airport addons from 3PD? Certainly there wont be high fidelity aircraft that will fill the needs of everyone. GSX? ATC addons? AI?  

If you look at the thread of 'what we want' , its enormous and if everything was covered and done so in a sufficient way, then the base sim would be a higher cost be it subscription based or not. But I doubt they will be able to cover everything , if it is even possible.  3PD will always be an integral part of enhancing. The default will only go so far. 

So the subscription model if thats what it is, would have to be reasonable enough to cover streaming, server costs , but also take into account, that most will probably buy addons.  Thats what FSX success was made on.  Things that said were impossible, were then made a reality years later by 3PDs. Perhaps it wouldve been made possible faster if MS had continued to support and update the base sim.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It's not really free. You don't pay for it, but you're the "product" that's sold to advertisers when you pull up Google Maps on a PC or phone, and see all those nice highlighted restaurants and other places of business.

Google Is an advertising-supported business. We don't want ads in our flight sims, so streamed content (if that's what it is) has to be paid for in a different way, by the end-users. That's what the Xbox Cloud thing is all about, although we don't know yet exactly how MFS fits into that.
[...]
We still don't know how it will work, this is all just guesswork. But streaming large amounts of data is never "free." Someone always pays for it somewhere.

Other.

Before starting a flight, you have to meander amongst several screens of adverts to replicate that pre-flight shopping experience that every terminal seems to have.

I want multiple advertising hoardings at airport sceneries to have clickable Google sorry, Bing Ads.

During a flight, we can have Ryanair-style constant generic announcements to buy products, based on your browsing history :blush: - "just click the link at the bottom of the screen".

That would give us a sim that actually is As Real As It Gets!  :uwe_merm:

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, XMAN said:

The way i purchased P3D would that work?

What, three times over? :biggrin:

• Like 4

On 7/15/2019 at 2:18 PM, Ron Attwood said:

What, three times over? :biggrin:

Or you could be like me.  Just buy v4 once.  :)   Then sit back with a black-and-tan.

13 minutes ago, Mace said:

Or you could be like me.  Just buy v4 once.  🙂  Then sit back with a black-and-tan.

Smart. :smile:

10 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Smart. :smile:

On the other hand. What happens when v5 becomes the next 'Greatest simulator of all time...Evah'? Eh? Eh?

I keep waiting for my Chevy Z07.R free update for my C5 ... but Chevy keep telling me I have to pay for it ... it's the same brand name Corvette, has 4 wheels, has an engine, has a steering wheel, has seats and windows ... it's virtually the same car, why do I have to pay for it ... I just don't get it.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 1

Best case scenario is they sell it at $60 then continue to release super high quality modules at a premium. That will more than cover any azure costs (which i honestly think are overstated on this forum)

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I keep waiting for my Chevy Z07.R free update for my C5 ... but Chevy keep telling me I have to pay for it ... it's the same brand name Corvette, has 4 wheels, has an engine, has a steering wheel, has seats and windows ... it's virtually the same car, why do I have to pay for it ... I just don't get it.

Cheers, Rob.

Or you could say that you bought a brand new Chevrolet where the engine was broken, but Chevy asked you to pay for a new engine... 

I bought every version and have no regrets. I just wanted FSX SP3 and never thought LM would be in it for the long haul. But in hindsight I could have stayed with FSX until P3D V3. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2019 at 4:17 AM, rjfry said:

The subscription is not for Microsoft Flight Simulator but the portal called PC Game Pass or XBOX Game pass which gives you access to Azure Cloud I think you will find.  

That's not what Game Pass is about. It just puts games on a rotation that you can download and play for a low monthly rate. So far, all of these games can also be purchased outright. MS have given zero indication at this point that you'll HAVE to subscribe to anything in order to play MSFS aside from xbox live for mp.

19 hours ago, Mace said:

Or you could be like me.  Just buy v4 once.  🙂  Then sit back with a black-and-tan.

Sit with which one?

index.jpeg

Black-And-Tan-Coonhound-MP.jpg