Sign in to follow this  
michal

Less repeating ground textures in FSX

OK, dear MSFS team, finally I decided to take part in the general begging an wishing. ;-)One of my wishes for FSX was no (or at least, less) repeating ground textures, mainly to enhance high altitude flights.I have no idea, if this is hard to accomplish, but when I look at this screenshot of Puget Sound I'm very confident, that my wish could come true.http://fsinsider.com/puget+sound.htmCheersWolfgang

Guest tdragger

Jason would know more but we are trying to eliminate some of the repetitiveness in areas that have large sections of the same landclass.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>>OK, dear MSFS team, finally I decided to take part in the>general begging an wishing. ;-)>One of my wishes for FSX was no (or at least, less) repeating>ground textures, mainly to enhance high altitude flights.>>I have no idea, if this is hard to accomplish, but when I look>at this screenshot of Puget Sound I'm very confident, that my>wish could come true.>http://fsinsider.com/puget+sound.htm>>Cheers>>WolfgangIt's not possible to get rid of tiling/patterning effects with the system we have in place (which is stil a pretty durn good system).It is possible to mitigate the tiling/patterning effects. Adding higher resolution DEM, higher res roads, rivers and coastlines, parks and golf gourses all help tremendously.We've also thrown a couple of new tricks in there as well... ;)Cheers,Jason

Guest koorby

As much as the FSX screenies get me pretty excited, not one of them has been taken on an angle which would reveal that alas, due to the 5-set and 7-set texture tile system still in place in FSX, you will still see repeating ground tiles. The Puget Sound shot is hardly an indicator of the problem being solved.Until the landclass/tile system is overhauled or possibly extended to a 15 or 20 tile set, you're not going to find a quick solution. The rural farmlands and crops textures are always the worst culprits, and we've not seen any symmetrical road systems common in rural areas at a decent altitude in any shots so far. It's easy to know why, since I'm a master of masking just those sort of artifacts in my shots :)I hope this is not interpreted by the devs as a dig, just a reality check for those who may think the issue is solved.Having said that, I agree that the current system is a very good one in terms of balance between visual quality and disk/memory performance.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>As much as the FSX screenies get me pretty excited, not one>of them has been taken on an angle which would reveal that>alas, due to the 5-set and 7-set texture tile system still in>place in FSX, you will still see repeating ground tiles. The>Puget Sound shot is hardly an indicator of the problem being>solved.>>Until the landclass/tile system is overhauled or possibly>extended to a 15 or 20 tile set, you're not going to find a>quick solution. The rural farmlands and crops textures are>always the worst culprits, and we've not seen any symmetrical>road systems common in rural areas at a decent altitude in any>shots so far. It's easy to know why, since I'm a master of>masking just those sort of artifacts in my shots :)>>I hope this is not interpreted by the devs as a dig, just a>reality check for those who may think the issue is solved.>>Having said that, I agree that the current system is a very>good one in terms of balance between visual quality and>disk/memory performance.Who said the system for FSX is limited to the old 1, 3, 5, 7 system? :)You will still see repetition in any case.

What about getting rid of the tiles in the water? Especially in the night.I get blcoks of BLACK square boxes around the aricraft...Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest GabrielR

Volker, Thanks, those are shots are new to me, indeed pretty good for those Big Iron Lovers...

Good post this is indeed a big annoyance. I hope they can come up with a better solution.

Guest kkbelos

OMG!Look at the landscape in the first pic... awesome, the water is great too. Autogen seems so improved, but this was clear from previous screenshots.I can

Guest JohnEGPF

The new Screenshots look great.Majority of flights are around UK and Central Europe, and in fs2004 this meant when I reached 7000 feet and above the repeating field patterns marching off to the horizon in a very straight and ordered fashion:).These pics seem to have a lot more variety in them, also just noticed how good they look at low level, the autogen and ground texture resolution seem to "mate" better together, nice stuff:).John

Guest koorby

>Who said the system for FSX is limited to the old 1, 3, 5, 7 system?>>You will still see repetition in any case.Hehe! Gotcha! ;) Thanks Jason, I did not know that FSX was limited to 7 tile sets, just guessed (apparently incorrectly). And yeah, uppping it to 15 or more won't fix it, but reduce the effect.See, it's not hard to get the devs to lift the kimono just a little now and then, LOL!