Sign in to follow this  
chass32

July 11th development update

1 hour ago, simbol said:

you don't write an SDK to build a game, you build a game from scratch, coding directly in low level language

Heh!!

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Still, an SDK can be useful for internal development. A programmer can make a tool to convert certain data to a desired format for instance. They will still need that to import airports, navaids etc. 

I'm quite sure there will be a lot of legacy code used. I don't think they'll bother writing the ATC module from scratch. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

42 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Still, an SDK can be useful for internal development. A programmer can make a tool to convert certain data to a desired format for instance. They will still need that to import airports, navaids etc. 

I'm quite sure there will be a lot of legacy code used. I don't think they'll bother writing the ATC module from scratch. 

Indeed, but that is not an SDK, it is a Library of source code or as you said it.. "A Tool".

S.

Edited by simbol

I am not that bothered about the July 25 update. I doubt that it will include any Earth shattering information.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

At this moment, any information at all will be earth shattering. 😄

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

56 minutes ago, simbol said:

Indeed, but that is not an SDK, it is a Library of source code or as you said it.. "A Tool".

S.

Isn't the SDK just a collection of tools? 

• Like 1

I just want to know if we will be able to park our airplanes in a hanger with doors that open and close. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Don't bother, simmerhead.  He doesn't have enough experience to understand.  Can you believe what he wrote?

If someone talks about going to the store to buy "a book" it isn't the same thing as an author talking about writing "a book", even though they're they same book.  For some, "a book" means the physical object and can mean nothing else.  I've read a few authors who had several books published online, which meant there was never a physical copy.  So... what is "a book"?

And what is a SDK?

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Good gracious  enough about the SDK. It will either be released with the sim or not. Instead of arguing semantics, wait and see, 

• Like 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Don't bother, simmerhead.  He doesn't have enough experience to understand.  Can you believe what he wrote?

If someone talks about going to the store to buy "a book" it isn't the same thing as an author talking about writing "a book", even though they're they same book.  For some, "a book" means the physical object and can mean nothing else.  I've read a few authors who had several books published online, which meant there was never a physical copy.  So... what is "a book"?

And what is a SDK?

Hook

You are right what do I know.. I have been only working as a Software Engineer for my last 22 years..

You go ahead and provide the enlightenment necessary to everybody.

• Like 1

We really don't know what the new MSFS development workflows will look like. Most modern games are built in a game engine which can import assets in native application formats (eg .max, .blend, .psd etc) or open exchange formats (eg. .fbx, .obj, .gltf, .png, .tif, .wav, etc), and while working in the engine you can layout scenes, script behavior, create materials, animate etc, then export a game addon as a package file or export a complete game executable to a variety of target platforms. Asobo has their own in-house engine but they also work with Unity and UE4.

The old FSX/P3D SDK's are a crude collection of compilers, tools, plugins for 3dsMax/gMax for 3D export, and code libraries. There's no tool in the SDK to lay out an airport so if not for 3rd party programs like ADE you'd make an airport by writing XML code by hand. In fact if not for the FS development community reverse engineering the native formats of MSFS and making content creation software, development would be borderline impossible. Let's hope we get something better this time around.

Edited by fs4fun
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

6 hours ago, simmerhead said:

I'm quite sure there will be a lot of legacy code used. I don't think they'll bother writing the ATC module from scratch

I doubt that even a single line of legacy code will be used in MSFS. We are talking about decades here and it would take more effort to properly implement ancient code into modern applications rather than developing a module from scratch.

• Like 1

I don’t know about you guys, but my butt is starting to hurt from pulling so much stuff out of it  

😂

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Woozie said:

I doubt that even a single line of legacy code will be used in MSFS. We are talking about decades here and it would take more effort to properly implement ancient code into modern applications rather than developing a module from scratch.

I hope you're right 🙂

10 hours ago, Woozie said:

I very much doubt that theory.. FSX has an awful lot of development buried in its code..

Start from scratch... we'll see :wink:

Bert