Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Ability to ask runway info upon landing???

Guest Water Mango

Hey 'tdragger' or anyone, is it not too much to ask for an option in ATC once your cleared for landing for a certain runway to be able to ask ATC for the frequency???I know as a good pilot you should have your notes but for the sake of FS it really is cumbersome to have to access the menu, pull up the map, and click on the airport to get info on the runways. During preflight I could right down every runway frequency but that's overkill for Flightsim. Another thing that would be helpful is to have the runway info on the flight plane (which FS generates). All I would have to do is print the flight plan after I choose the flight I wish to fly...

Great points here... This is diffidently something I hope Aces addresses in FSX...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>I know as a good pilot you should have your notes but for the>sake of FS it really is cumbersome to have to access the menu,>pull up the map, and click on the airport to get info on the>runways. During preflight I could right down every runway>frequency but that's overkill for Flightsim. As long as you are flying an aircraft using default GPS -> that's the thing you might wanna have a look at rather than map view. :)

How about this (I posted this in another thread, too) - Tooltips for airports. When the user puts their mouse near, say, the tower of an airport or a VOR or NDB, a tooltip pops up with the facility info on it.Would be pretty neat idea for a full screen HUD for a real aircraft, too, eh :)Hmm, all sorts of ideas pop out of this one. Imagine, just like FS already has a track you can follow, putting the airways and intersections, etc. in the sky and highlighting your flightplan.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest Water Mango

What's wrong with having the information printed right out on the flight plan??? :-hmmm How many years before the GPS was invented did pilots rely on their own notes? Seeing this is Flight Simulator and you can have a default flight plan printed out for quick reference (cutting back on allot of preflight work), why not have the runway info for the destination/alternative airports included as well? Many add-on aircraft like the PMDG 744 and RFP's 742 don't use the default GPS anyway (or should I say have it included as part of the panel).

Uhh sorry, didn't ever mean to run your idea of the flight plan thing down, I was just talking about a 'for now' (i. e. FS9) solution! Of course it would be awesome if they improved the whole flight planner (especially the printed output). :)

"Many add-on aircraft like the PMDG 744 and RFP's 742 don't use the default GPS anyway"Another great example of this is Flight1's MD-80...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Dennis_k

What i would like to see improved, is that when i now plan a flight in FS with the LDS or PMDG, my arrival runway will not always be correct if i use realworld weather.So i would be great when e.g. your on top of decent can tune in to the airport ATIS an get the runway thats active for landing, so you can plan your STAR arrival.Already mensiond this in the FS survey.

Guest Peter Sidoli

Already there are real world enroute and approach plate viewers in real aircraft. I believe one is called Jeppview.Without having a full set of Jepps and low/high altitude charts at hand I too think it would be useful. To have a way after you have flight planned your route in flight planner to print of the relevant information for that route would be a real bonus.Peter

How about this (I posted this in another thread, too) - Tooltips for airports. When the user puts their mouse near, say, the tower of an airport or a VOR or NDB, a tooltip pops up with the facility info on it. Thomas; Sorry if I missed something here, but that already is in FS9. Not allof the info but quite a lot of it. Denny

In fact, normally in real life, when you create a flight plan, you will not necessarily know which runway will be active until you get to your destination. Winds shift, things happen.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Hi,He was talking about in the game too, not in map view. When you put your mouse over the tower in the outside view, a tooltip would bring up the airport info. Not very practical in many situations, though, since you can't always see the tower (and some airports don't have towers). And towers are currently nothing more than a scenery object - FS doesn't know they are a tower. I guess you could put your mouse anywhere within the airport boundary, but that might be annoying when you are NOT looking for information...Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest tdragger

Yes. Those are many of the problems I thought of, too. Flying with the GPS set to the "nearest airport" page is one thing that might help but may not give the detail that you need.