Sign in to follow this  
nas123

My next flight will be in MSFS2020

18 minutes ago, Greazer said:

the NGX was in development since at least the early 2000s. Possibly earlier.

Which means the hardest part of the work is already done.  The actual implementation is the easy part and a lot of the existing code and other resources can be reused.  You're a programmer, you should know all this.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

12 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Which means the hardest part of the work is already done.  The actual implementation is the easy part and a lot of the existing code and other resources can be reused.  You're a programmer, you should know all this.

Hook

If it's all new programming APIs, SDK configuration etc it will be a massive effort to convert all the systems code over. The 3d mesh, textures and animations should be mostly reusable. This is probably the main question people want an answer to. If the NGX is for sale I would definitely get it and have the two platforms. 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, Flamingpie said:

Correct. Point releases (going from for instance 4.5 to 4.6) are free but new versions (so going from v4 to v5) will have to be purchased again for the full price (no upgrade prices available). So if you have the pro license you will have to spend another 200 bucks.

Wow this whole ecosystem needs to die as its holding is hostage with pure greed. Asking full price for a patch. Thats special. Not even EA or Activision came up yet with this idea. 

Lukas Dalton

41 minutes ago, Greazer said:

If it's all new programming APIs, SDK configuration etc it will be a massive effort to convert all the systems code over. The 3d mesh, textures and animations should be mostly reusable. This is probably the main question people want an answer to. If the NGX is for sale I would definitely get it and have the two platforms. 

Wouldn’t that depend on how modular they made the actual underlying systems/display code? If it’s just an independent module then really all they need to figure out is how to display the output in the new universe compared to how it’s done now.

44 minutes ago, Greazer said:

If the NGX is for sale I would definitely get it and have the two platforms.

I think it is almost a guarantee that it will be available.  My question is how likely is it to be available on release day.

5 minutes ago, Peter Clark said:

Wouldn’t that depend on how modular they made the actual underlying systems/display code?

Actually, I think doing whatever conversion it would take to update the API calls would be a fun project.

Hook

Larry Hookins

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Hook

Is that why there was a PMDG 737 ready to go when MS Flight was released? :unsure:

.. and subsequently withdrawn... kind of a lesson there, don't you think?

Bert

38 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Is that why there was a PMDG 737 ready to go when MS Flight was released? :unsure:

You don't know?

Go find the "Now that the cat is out of the bag" thread.

Hook

Larry Hookins

3 hours ago, LHookins said:

As for the number of users willing to pay, go look at the number of members of the forums for the various study level sims.  PMDG is something over 5000 total with 1400 currently active and they're making money on that number.  A2A is about 15000 total.

Hook

15,000 users there for a hardcore sim and 63 million Xbox users there for something a little more casual.

Mark Daniels

4 hours ago, LHookins said:

You don't know?

Go find the "Now that the cat is out of the bag" thread.

Hook

What cat, what bag??

:unsure:

Bert

No third party developer is going to tell you if they are on the inside with Microsoft, and it`s possible that an insider may have to agree an NDA before being accepted that will rule some out on this forum reading the post. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, rjfry said:

No third party developer is going to tell you if they are on the inside with Microsoft, and it`s possible that an insider may have to agree an NDA before being accepted that will rule some out on this forum reading the post. 

Rest assured everyone involved on the project is indeed under NDA. Why do you think the main team behind it can't talk further about it at the moment?!

Probably 25th july will be the end of their internal NDA to talk about the insider program and some features.

Kevin, the guy from the former ACES team said he was/is under the Microsoft Flight NDA for years, even when the project got dumped by Microsoft. If the guys developing it have to sign NDAs, I'm sure all 3rd parties involved will have to do it also.

Not saying the big 3rd parties (PMDG, Aerosoft, FSLabs etc) are behind it. I'm just agreeing with you that they wouldn't talk about it right now.

4 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Rest assured everyone involved on the project is indeed under NDA. Why do you think the main team behind it can't talk further about it at the moment?!

If that's the case, then there really is nothing the (poor) developers can express, to mark their stance and (lack of) involvement.

If they deny being involved and act completely surprised, then they're probably under NDA and are definitely involved and are not allowed to say anything.

If they do the opposite and say that they are developing behind the scenes and are knowledgeable of the new sim, then everyone will accept that as confirmation. 

What could/should a developer say, to believably deny and refute any involvement and beforehand knowledge of a project?!

(Seriously, I'm asking here...)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

18 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

If that's the case, then there really is nothing the (poor) developers can express, to mark their stance and (lack of) involvement.

If they deny being involved and act completely surprised, then they're probably under NDA and are definitely involved and are not allowed to say anything.

If they do the opposite and say that they are developing behind the scenes and are knowledgeable of the new sim, then everyone will accept that as confirmation. 

What could/should a developer say, to believably deny and refute any involvement and beforehand knowledge of a project?!

(Seriously, I'm asking here...)

At this point, I wouldn't ask anyone, just the  old wait and see game...

And to be clear, I'm not doubting Orbx or PMDG knows nothing about the new sim, I'm just pointing out that people asking them for answers have no clue how this industry works or how NDAs are enforced. 

19 hours ago, DaWu said:

Wow this whole ecosystem needs to die as its holding is hostage with pure greed. Asking full price for a patch. Thats special. Not even EA or Activision came up yet with this idea. 

Major update versions are never just a "patch." What differentiates major point releases is entirely new features, or major upgrades to existing features.

This is one of the reasons developers most often have to refactor or even totally re-write their existing code each time a major version is released, especially when they are developing systems that run parallel to the sim's envelope.

Did we have to purchase every new version of FS? Durn tooting we did!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Major update versions are never just a "patch." What differentiates major point releases is entirely new features, or major upgrades to existing features.

This is one of the reasons developers most often have to refactor or even totally re-write their existing code each time a major version is released, especially when they are developing systems that run parallel to the sim's envelope.

Did we have to purchase every new version of FS? Durn tooting we did!

FYI I am a senior dev for 20 years. So I know what is needed to do a patch. Netherless looking at the changes between P3D V3 and V4 and then asking for full price is a rip off. Thats my opinion and I stay with it

• Upvote 2

Lukas Dalton