Sign in to follow this  
BobKinSTL

New CPU and Motherboard. Uninstall and Reinstall P3D?

Asking for trouble when you're not reinstalling Windows on a hardware change.

• Upvote 2

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, downscc said:

I did not reinstall Windows when I changed out my mobo/CPU last time for my 8700K build.  Windows picked up on the hardware change and all I had to do was re-authenticate my license I believe... based on memory.

Release your P3D license, then after rebuild you should simply have to re-authenticate and not have to reinstall.

However, as Bert replied, if you reinstall windows then everything gets reinstalled.

there a few addons that will ask you to reregsister.

p3d will

activesky will 

maybe pmdg ?  

as the machine id will have changed

14ppkc-6.png

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, arwasairl said:

It really depends. If you're just upgrading the mobo and CPU a reinstallation is not required. If you're upgrading the hard drive, then you'll need to reinstall P3D.

Careful with such not entirely precise statements... Yes, a CPU plus mobo change does not require P3D to be fully reinstalled, but I would nevertheless at least uninstall the client, release the license and after the hardware change re-install the client.

Furthermore, as others stated: some addons do need a re-registration and sometimes the easiest way is to simply re-install them.

AND: it is still not recommended to change CPU and mobo without performing a complete re-installation of the operating system.

I did exactly this a year ago when I was switching from a Z77 with a 3770K to a Z370 with a 8700K. It worked out perfectly, but of course I was a little bit lucky and I prepared the change pretty well. Mean:

- I uninstalled the P3D client and released the license.

- I uninstalled all drivers of expansion cards such as the soundcard, the graphics card, the WLAN module etc.

- then I uninstalled all drivers related to the old mainboard. All of them. Including Intel chipset drivers etc.

- then, when the system was basically stripped down like this, I turned the rig off, changed the hardware and fired it up again.

- With the new hardware, Windows 10 takes some minutes to reconfigure itself. Including several restarts.

- After the Windows 10 self-reconfiguration was over, I installed all mainboard and chipset drivers for the new mainboard. Including several restarts.

- Only then, I installed back all drivers of expansion cards. Several restarts.

- Last, I reinstalled the P3D client and re-entered my license.

Of course, only after everything is done and everything is working again perfectly without any hardware errors and such, you can think about overclocking or modifying the BIOS (if necessary at all).

This worked. But for security and "insurance" options, I had a complete Acronis backup ready for potential issues and I was ready to perform a complete re-installation of Windows 10 if anything would have failed (you need a bootable USB stick with W10 on it for this).

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Bob make sure you can reactivate windows first...

I got caught with a CPU dead...

and yes before you shutdown uninstall P3D , he will allow you to reinstall in any PC.

• Upvote 1

True, I forgot this very important point: you need to connect your Windows 10 license to your Microsoft account. Otherwise, it gets cumbersome to reactivate the Windows 10 license afterwards...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

On 7/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, downscc said:

I did not reinstall Windows when I changed out my mobo/CPU last time for my 8700K build.  Windows picked up on the hardware change and all I had to do was re-authenticate my license I believe... based on memory.

It did that for me as well, but performance was not where it should have been given the hardware I had in it. Once I reinstalled Windows, p3d framerates shot up significantly.

Windows is a lot better at adapting to change than it used to be, but it's still not very good at cleaning out all the old junk it doesn't need anymore, and that old stuff can cause issues.

We'll just have to see. Just don't reinstall P3D and see if anything decides to break and if thats the case you can try a reinstall of the client.

Edited by arwasairl

On 7/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, BobKinSTL said:

Will I have to do any uninstalling and reinstalling of P3D v4.5

On 7/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, AnkH said:

a CPU plus mobo change does not require P3D to be fully reinstalled, but I would nevertheless at least uninstall the client, release the license

I would like to revisit this since I will be doing some hardware changes. So more precisely, can you do a graphic card/CPU swap and not have to release the P3D license. I know that you could release the license but do you have to do it.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Generally no. But if you are wrong it's not that big of a deal. The big problem comes if  you delete the P3D install without releasing the license, it's more of an issue then.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

10 hours ago, FPStewy said:

I would like to revisit this since I will be doing some hardware changes. So more precisely, can you do a graphic card/CPU swap and not have to release the P3D license. I know that you could release the license but do you have to do it.

7 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Generally no. But if you are wrong it's not that big of a deal. The big problem comes if  you delete the P3D install without releasing the license, it's more of an issue then.

agree Vic, here is an example what i did 

Have 2 P3D licences one for the main sim and second for tests and GA , my main system was a X299 I9 7920x 2x 1080 SLIsystem with tons of addons have os and P3D on a 1TB nvme disk made a clone to a 2TB nvme without disable licence, it worked without any problems, i had the 1TB disk if i need to disable licence.

my second OS p3d was on a Z370 8700K 2x 1080TI SLI system but not as much addons  as on the main system, i swap the CPU to a 9900K and 2080TI tested the system was very pleased that gone be my new main P3D system.

To save some time a took the 2TB nvme started up it on the Z370 9900K single 2080TI no problem at all , tested different bench marks from one clean disk compared to the X299 no difference, fired up P3D V4.5 HF1 no problems at all reactivated GSX and some other addons but not P3D.

then i remember that i not have deactivated the second P3D licence from the Z370 system , a had the X299 up and runing on a open testbench 7980XE with 2x2080TI .

mount the nvme on the X299 fired it up , it booted nice i even started P3D it worked with the licence activated from the Z370 8700k 1080T, then i uninstalled the client with deactivating of the licence .

I dont recomend this but it work.