Sign in to follow this  
mgf1

Problems with terrain textures - heĺp needed please

Hello all

I hope some of you could help me out with the following. Since last year I got a new PC for FSX. Why still FSX? Because of many payware-addons which I bought for it.

Here is my setup:

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K - 4.2
MOBO ASRock Z270 Pro4
PSU Corsair CX-M Series CX450M
MEM Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 ( 2 x 16 GB)
SSD Crucial MX300 - Solid state drive
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G

My FSX SE settings are as followed:
All slides maxed out
Anti-aliasing turned off in FSX (using AA from my GPU driver - also tried to set it on but no change there)
Filtering : Trilinear

Whatever I try to amend in the settings, I am very disappointed by the graphics, which I believe should be much better with such hardware setup. I have no problems with the FPS. Even with payware planes such as the iFly 737 NG I can run easily 90 FPS unlimited, but I mostly lock down the FPS to around 40 FPS.

My problems are about ground textures / terrain which is not loading fast enough. It happens during take off and landing that all ground texture, such as trees and buildings keep popping up at about 500 meter / 1000 meter in front of me. It just looks like FSX doesn't generate the scenery fast enough.

I have the strong feeling that some setting is terribly wrong in my FSX.cfg (no tweaking done yet so deleting it may not be the solution)

As I dont know anything about tweaking I am hoping someone could help me out to advise where to start looking for possible resolution.

Thanks a lot for reading my post.

Best regards

Maurice

5 hours ago, mgf1 said:

All slides maxed out

There is your problem right there. There is not a chance in hell that even today's expensive hardware can run FSX with all sliders to the right. Turn everything down to 50-75%. Turn down AI traffic and you'll see much better overall performance. In addition, you'll eventually run into VAS-problems. 

That's the beauty of sticking to a 32-bit sim: It has certain hard limits that even the most sophisticated hardware and software-setup can't overcome. Spend $500 or $5000 - it won't matter.😁

And, please, stop "tweaking". All the major fixes are already in the FSX-Steam addition, the rest is "voodoo". It might be helpful, though, to have FSX rebuild your scenery cfg.

Edited by Ricardo41

You could try. Setting a higher LOD radius in the config. But ultimately this a longtime problem.

The slider to far right will set a LOD of 4.50000. In Fsx cfg.

i changed mine to 7.50000 ( try different numbers for your system) it helped a bit but did not cure the problem completely.

remember that once you change the LOD to a higher number, making any changes at all in Fsx sliders will make the LOD default back to 4.50000.

how are you locking the FPS? In sim or external?

does it make any difference if you run with unlimited FPS?

Luke Pype

Hello Maurice,

If you Lock your Frame to 30 in FSX (No need to set unlimited for bragging rites) as long as you have a smooth scenery display experience, then set Anisotropic Filtering in FSX (Not Trilinear) and enable  Antialiasing in FSX. If you also use Nvidia Profile Inspector NVPI for your GTX 1060 you can control  AA and AF.  In my FSX setup NVI settings, Antialiasing is set to x16 and Anisotropic Filtering is also set to 16x though you could stick with Antialaising 8xS and AnisotropicFiltering x16.

You must select the Microsoft Flight Simulator (FSX.exe) profile in NVPI then make your selections.
If you prefer to use the Nvidia Control Panel to setup your GTX160 3D Graphics you must set AA to 8x and AF to 16x.

You should also try to bump your overclock a little higher say 4.5GHz, my 4th Gen i74770K is overclocked to 4.6GHz and seems to handle most things thrown at it with crispy clear graphics aircraft and terrain textures, most of my graphics scenery sliders are set to the right and i'm still running DX9 default Shader API

A word about LOD Radius, it is advisable to not go above 6.500000 in FSX, some have used as high as 8.500000 with some unwanted stuttering and artifacting.

Mesh res should be 5m if using Orbx Scenerys and Texture res should be 7cm Water effects should be 2xHigh (Don't use 2xMax) the added burden without any noticeable difference can bring your system to its knees when it could be used to display scenery and autogen at higher resolution within your visual range (LOD Radius).

Your Hardware is more than enough to cope with FSX, but you must raise your OC and realise that FSX is still bound by 32bit VAS limitations (Nothing can be done to alleviate the VAS limit other than lowering your Scenery sliders, traffic and weather and unchecking Photoreal Addons in your Scenery Library that you aren't currently using).

9 hours ago, mgf1 said:

I have the strong feeling that some setting is terribly wrong in my FSX.cfg (no tweaking done yet so deleting it may not be the solution)

As I dont know anything about tweaking I am hoping someone could help me out to advise where to start looking for possible resolution.

Check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for some suggestions on configuring FSX.  See link in my signature.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

10 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

And, please, stop "tweaking". All the major fixes are already in the FSX-Steam addition, the rest is "voodoo". It might be helpful, though, to have FSX rebuild your scenery cfg.

He already stated in his opening post that he hasn’t done any tweaking yet, hence no need to rebuild cfg as it hasn’t been touched.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree with lowering settings. Even if FPS are ok maxed out your putting too much strain on the system resulting in the blurry textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator