Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

REX Sky Force turned my FSX disk edition into a Steam edition

OK, this is a weird question. I managed to get my disk version of FSX and Acceleration fully installed on my new Windows 10 Pro system after a few curses, DVD drive read issues and one validation error. Then I installed REX Sky Force 3D since I'd just bought it on sale. Imagine my surprise when I launched FSX, because it now proudly proclaims in the banner on the Home menu it's the Steam Edition of FSX. WHAT! I installed no such thing! Is this going to be a problem because I have a whole library of purchased add-ons just for this version or is it something common? I wasn't given any option to select the edition of FSX when I installed REX Sky Force either, so I know that's when the change happened. I'd like to install Active Sky for a weather engine, but I want to get this worked out first.

Edited by tunnelcat

its  no  issue since  it  for  each platform  pvdv4   to  fsx, if  you think  its a  issue  than  post  in the  rex  forum

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I hope not. It does seem weird that REX Sky Force would actually alter the main menu title in the FSX Home menu to something I didn't install. I haven't even run the REX program yet to set thing up in FSX either. I wonder if it has something to do with Simconnect which was also installed. I am going to post on the REX forums, but I have to wait for the verification process to complete first. Thanks.

1 hour ago, tunnelcat said:

I hope not. It does seem weird that REX Sky Force would actually alter the main menu title in the FSX Home menu to something I didn't install. I haven't even run the REX program yet to set thing up in FSX either. I wonder if it has something to do with Simconnect which was also installed. I am going to post on the REX forums, but I have to wait for the verification process to complete first. Thanks.

when  you   first  set up   sf   it  will ask  you  which  sim   your  using

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

There is a setting in FSX so that you go to the Free Flight Screen instead of the now useless Home Page when the Sim Starts.  The Home Page was FSInsider, which now only is for FSX-SE.

This is in your FSX.cfg:

[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1<------------------this one!
STARTUP_DEMO=0
LoadWindow=1

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

pete_auau, the installer never asked me. It just installed. The only thing I was allowed to check was the Simconnect install. I did download the version that says it's for FSX, FSX-SE and P3D. There was a separate version for the newer P4D. Is there a way to check which version of Simconnect I have in FSX? [EDIT - Nevermind, I found them. I've got all three versions installed that came with the disks.]

Reader, yes I mean the Home screen. So what you're saying is that FSX is now picking up the FSinsider Home page and that's why it's showing the Steam version? As far as I know my FSX is still the disk version, other than the Home screen. I'm almost tempted to purchase the Steam version eventually because it was such a PITA to install from the old disks on my new LG Blu-Ray drive. I'm not even sure I can install my disk-based addons because that drive seems so disinclined to read older CDs and DVDs. I might have to resort to copying their contents to flash drives on my old system just to install them on the new one.

charliearon, my cfg looks just as you posted, except for the STARTUP_DEMO line which has no entry after it. Should I set SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1 to 0?

Edited by tunnelcat

No, don't set "show opening screen" to 0.  I think that by just closing FSX with the "Free Flight Screen" showing is what will cause it to always open FSX that way.  It's been so long ago that I did that, I always think it's a setting and not just how FSX is closed. 😀

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks, I figured that out after opening FSX for some settings changes which I then left on the Free Flight page when I closed. When FSX was opened again, it was on the Free Flight page. It just freaked me out when I first installed FSX since hadn't used it for over 2 years due to family medical reasons (that was on my old system too) and saw the Home page change. Now all I have to do is install my add-ons, peripherals and their software, do some tweaks, DX10 Fixer, Nvidia Inspector and so forth. What a job to rebuild this program to where it shines.

Edited by tunnelcat

I believe the screen in question is merely a website re-direct.  Since MS doesn't support FSX any longer, they may have just put a re-direct on their website to load the Steam site.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.