Sign in to follow this  
rozel

New Motherboard Preparations

Hello,

I’m planning for a new motherboard/CPU.

Will X-Plane require a full reinstall from the DVD set?

If not is there a tip or procedure to follow prior to making the change?

I’ve tried various searches of the forum without getting a hit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rozel

Win 10 Pro 64 - i7 5820k - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 894GB SSD - 363GB SSD - 4TB HDD - 16GB RAM

Sony- 3840 X 2160 Monitor - NVIDIA Driver 430.64

Windows 10 KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)

Flight Simulator Lockeed Martin prePard 3d v4.4

X-Plane 11

Saitek X55, rudder pedals, Saitek Cyborg Gamepad, 2 BUO836A USB Interfaces

ChasePlane,FSCUIP,LINDA.

FTX PNW,MegaScenery Earth Illinois,Coranado SkyMaster,A2A Comanche

MS Office 2016

Adobe CC

iTunes

Sketchup 17

Blender  

There is absolutely no need to re-install X-Plane. 

If you have your scenery spread out over several HD's you might need to edit the scenery file  to get the correct drive location back but other than that no need to do anything.

46 minutes ago, Glenn_C said:

There is absolutely no need to re-install X-Plane. 

If you have your scenery spread out over several HD's you might need to edit the scenery file  to get the correct drive location back but other than that no need to do anything.

When re-installing the OS, the drive designations can change.  Happened to me on my last Win 10 re-install.  If that happens, you can use the Disk Management Tool to reassign the drive letter and get everything back to the way it was, or the way you like it.  

Right mouse click on the START menu and Disk Management will be one of the options along with Device Manager, Network Connections, etc.  You'll see a list of the drives/volumes under the "Volume" column.  Right click on the drive/volume and one of the options is to change the Drive Letter.  

Before you do the update/upgrade/reinstall, take a screen shot or print out the drive letters so you know your current drive organization and designation.  That will help after you reinstall. 

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

If you are only swapping out your motherboard there is no need to worry. I do this all the time on clients computers, set the bios to the boot drive and you really shouldn’t have any problems. If there is no OS reinstall or anything crazy, it should only take you a few minutes. Feel free to hit me up on dm if you have any questions.

Hi Rich and Speedbird21,

That's great information. It looks like if I leave the drives alone I can reactivate Windows 10 via my Microsoft Account then P3d and X Plane 11 will come along nicely.

I've done about 8 builds over the years and my big concern is--- put it all together and no bong (post). Only happened once. Wish me luck.

I'll be going with New Egg. 9700,Asus Mobo and 32G ram.

Stay tuned I'll report back.

Thank you both so much.

Rozel

Hi Rozel, I've just done a similar upgrade to my system, but just to let you know I did not have to re-install WIndows. This is important for P3D  as this uses the Windows registry which will be cleared out be the re-install, so you'll have to re-install P3D as well as your hardware drivers.

I too had a i7 K5820 on an Asus MB, which I then updated to an new Intel CPU on a new Asus MB and this is the key point, both CPU and MB are so similar that the system will almost start without re-installing Windows. These were the notes I made at the time:-

1. After build tried to boot with original Windows install still in place, but PC would only boot to BIOS. Had to enable CSM and change to Windows UESI in Boot tab.
  2. Now it attempted to start Windows, but seemed to stick on 'Adding Devices', so opened the CD draw and added the ASUS MB DVD, which seemed to free it. Then loaded correct MB drivers and rebooted. Started OK this time. Updated GE Force drivers (NB: I was upgrading from a GTX 980 to a RTX 2080 Ti).
  3. System was using low settings for Crucial DRAM 3000MHz CAS 15-16-16-35, so Enabled X.M.L on BIOS EZ Mode screen, which worked.

I would then strongly advise that you run the following Microsoft utility "SFC /scannow" in a command window as Administrator (to open press Windows Key and X, then A) which will find and corrected any issues with Windows.

This saved me a lot of hassle and not to mention many hours reinstalling software, drivers, etc. NB: As X-Plane does not use the Windows registry it should unaffected by a re-install as you've been already advised.

Best of luck.

The motherboard change was successful. After powerup the computer opened directly to Windows 10. It was breath taking.

As I was online the system? Made a connection to the ASUS mother ship and downloaded the drivers normally found on the DVD asked my permission and then installed them.

Only the Windows 10 required an hour call to Microsoft help to Activate Windows.

Had to show the Medallion that was on the Windows 7 DVD package that the Windows 10 was upgraded from.

I should have been more careful following the instructions in
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

P3d resumed after reinstalling the client.msi.

X-Plane required no attention.

Nice performance improvement.  Lots of sliders moved to the right.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Rozel

In my opinion, you need to start from scratch and reinstall everything.  I just went through this.  My fear is that you leave a bunch of un-needed chip-set drivers and entries in the registry, not to mention getting drive letters and pointers all in sync.  As long as you are taking it down, might as well take a few extra hours and start with a clean slate.

Jeff Callender

Something worth noting.  I just upgraded my CPU and motherboard from a 6700K to a 9900K.  Old and new motherboards are ASUS.  After completing the upgrade, Windows booted normally.  Windows, all programs and all hard drives are recognized and everything still works.  I don't know if this works with all brands of motherboards, but it saved me about a day or 2 of reinstalling everything.

Shouldnt matter the motherboard brand, more to do with chipset drivers, going from amd to intel or the other way round works but needs a driver clean up afterwards. done it many times.

Thanks for the info.

Before I switched motherboards I installed a GTX 2080 ti after using a 980ti for several years. Windows then automatically loaded drivers but from then on after powering down I had to load the BIOS and set to default. With this workaround I was off and running. I got into it a couple of days ago and found I was 1 NVIDIA driver behind. When I downloaded the current driver and started the install there was a complete install check box which I checked. After that I haven't had to jump through the BIOS hoop. 

Best Rozel

Win 10 Pro 64 - i7 5820k OverClock to 5.0-ASUS Z390-A MB - GeForce RTX    2080 Ti - 894GB SSD - 363GB SSD - 4TB HDD - 16GB RAM 
Sony- 3840 X 2160 Monitor - NVIDIA Driver 431.60
Windows 10 KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)

Flight Simulator Lockeed Martin prePard 3d v4.5
X-Plane 11
Saitek X55, rudder pedals, Saitek Cyborg Gamepad, 2 BUO836A USB Interfaces
ChasePlane,FSCUIP,LINDA.
FTX PNW,MegaScenery Earth Illinois,Coranado SkyMaster,A2A Comanche

MS Office 365
Adobe CC
iTunes
Sketchup 17
Blender