Sign in to follow this  
TextRich

Wanted: Cessna 172 with Carb Heat.

Hello everyone.  I need help.  I am training for my PPL and all the three aircraft I have used so far (two Cessna 172s and a Cessna 152) have carb heat.  In my FSX collection, both my 152s have carb heat.  However none of my 172s has it.  I have the default 172 and the A2A 172, but neither has carb heat.  I have a 172RG Cutlass by Alabeo and it does have carb heat, but I want a 172 without retractable gears and without propeller controls (since none of the three planes have them).  That is, I want just the throttle and mixture levers.

Can anyone point me to a payware or quality freeware aircraft with my specifications?  Worst case, I can just practice in one of my 152s.  For my PPL lessons the 172 is my primary aircraft and the 152 is my backup if the school's 172s are unavailable.  I am having a hard time remembering to apply carb heating in my lessons so being able to practice that with my sim would help me a lot.  Thank you for any insight!

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

If the engine is fuel injected you won't have carb heat only on aspirated engines. Good luck on your PPL

No problem remembering carb heat.......always use your checklist.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

If the engine is fuel injected you won't have carb heat only on aspirated engines. Good luck on your PPL

Thank you Martin.  🙂  The Cessnas I am studying in all have and use carb heat according to my instructor's directives (slow flight, power-off stalls, descents, and so on).  I understand the more modern Cessnas are fuel injected and don't use carb heat.  I will understand if there was not enough demand in the FSX add-on market since the sim's release for an older 172 that has carb heat.  I was hoping the simmers more experienced than I am currently or used to have one in their FSX collection.

11 minutes ago, wwdavis said:

No problem remembering carb heat.......always use your checklist.

At my experience level I need and want the visual and hands-on practice to help me remember and feel more comfortable at the controls, especially with carb heat.  I am more comfortable with everything else, honestly, because I have used everything else in years of sim flying.  Just not carb heat.  😕  I can fly only once a week for my lessons but fortunately I can practice at my simulator with FSX daily.  I'm sure with enough practice I can be as proficient as you are.  🙂

Edited by BF Bullpup

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

In your aircraft.cfg you can change the type of fuel metering used on the C-172: It comes set to 0.

//0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor

I would guess that you also want a carb heat switch on the panel?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Carenado has one,  their C172N Skyhawk II has a Carb Heat switch with steam gauges.  Here is the link to the Carenado page.  https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/product/c172n-skyhawk-ii-fsx-p3d/.  You can also purchase at your favorite flight sim store.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I can also vouch for the Carenado C172N, I use it a lot because it is most similar to the one I fly frequently in real life.

Did some more checking and there is also the Aeroproyecto C172N. Here is the website: http://aeroproyecto.freetzi.com/.   It has a Carb Heat switch and and a couple of different radio / avionics configurations.  I have this aircraft and have two issues. The Hobbs meter is stuck at 240 hours and when I end a flight, it does not always go back to the FSX start screen but will exit to windows without logging my hours.  For these reasons, I would recommend the Carenado version.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

39 minutes ago, charliearon said:

In your aircraft.cfg you can change the type of fuel metering used on the C-172: It comes set to 0.

//0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor

I would guess that you also want a carb heat switch on the panel?

Thank you for the tip Charlie.  Yes, I need a switch on the panel.

7 minutes ago, johncott said:

Did some more checking and there is also the Aeroproyecto C172N. Here is the website: http://aeroproyecto.freetzi.com/.   It has a Carb Heat switch and and a couple of different radio / avionics configurations.  I have this aircraft and have two issues. The Hobbs meter is stuck at 240 hours and when I end a flight, it does not always go back to the FSX start screen but will exit to windows without logging my hours.  For these reasons, I would recommend the Carenado version.

John Cottreau

Thank you John for suggesting that and the Carenado one!  They look similar to what I fly (I even have a photo of the flight deck of one of the 172s as my computer wallpaper).  I took a look at the Aeroproyecto one and it has a darker flight deck, which is similar to both 172s I fly.  In addition it has a Garmin G430, which both 172s have if I am not mistaken (at least one of them has it for sure).  I do not need a working Hobbs meter and it's not a big deal for me if the sim occasionally crashes with it as long as the flights have been completed.  If I am unhappy with it then the Carenado version will be an able backup.  Time to open up the wallet now.  😄

Thank you all for your help.  If anyone finds or can think of a similar 172 please feel free to reply here!

My first (and only) payware plane is the Carenado 172n. It flies almost EXACTLY like the 1967 172 I used to own. It seems to have a better climb rate than mine though, which is odd because I had a propeller that was supposed to be set to improve climb performance over cruise. Mine also never developed full compression on the left bank of cylinders, and I was a fat little pilot fella back then. 

I actually found instructions somewhere on the net to add ILS capability and DME  to the Carenado one so it matched mine a bit closer. I flew with a Loran system back then instead of GPS also. No sense in adding Loran to it though. That's dead tech.

When adding payload to the plane, I've found that it hits higher on accuracy (compared to mine) if I load the front seats with 250lb occupants and 50lbs in the baggage compartment.

I think I also tweaked the trim efficiency a bit in the cfg file so that the trim wheel has less sensitivity and it's easier to get it trimmed out. My old 172 would remain level when the climb descent needle was on the bottom edge of the LEVEL marking. The Carenado wanders a bit even when the needle is centered on the level marking, but not enough to cause concern.

The Carenado doesn't have an autopilot but mine did. It was a pretty simple one, but would follow a VFR heading and hold altitude. Except it was inoperative, or at least screwed up. When I turned it on the plane would go into a steep, descending bank to the right. I never used it anyway. I only flew 3 hours at most before it was time to pee or eat. Now that I'm older, I REALLY enjoy the pause key for a bathroom break

• Like 2