Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Brake Problems.

Hello to you all,

A strange one here.

Loading my Aerobask 550 engines started on runway when I release brakes and apply full power the aircraft does not move.

I have read a lot of posts which tell me to release the parking brake using mouse and "V" but nothing seems to work. This problem applies to many aircraft including the Zibo 737s . I have faulty Saitek pedals (right side toe brake is not responding) so I have ignored both toe brake axis in settings and have assigned a yoke button to brakes until I fix the Rudder system.  (I have a separate button allocated to Parking brakes set.) When I press either button, the  "brakes on" light (in the 550 aircraft) goes out. I checked the parking brake on the Pedestal and that is also disengaged. Full power and the aircraft just stays stationary but yaws to the right.

I also note that regardless of the aircraft in operation once the parking brakes are released I cannot get them to re engage and have to hold down the brakes button continuously. I have tried to reconfigure the "Brakes" button to other buttons but this does not seem to change anything either.

Is there something I can do to rectify this problem?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

The first thing I would do in troubleshooting brakes problems is actually putting the brake values out to screen. Check out the data out tab - here you can enable the brake value per wheel to be put out to screen, it will be a numerical value (in green) from 0 to 1. That should tell you if your brakes are actually engaged and then you can go from there (check for hardware axes set up inadvertantly, etc.)

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Jan,

Thank you mate for your response.

As stated, when I press my brake button I can see the brakes go on in the Eclipse 550. I can also monitor on the pedestal that the parking brake is coming off and on. The parking brake is also moving with the "set Parking brake" button which is a different. button.

I have also changed my Saitek yoke to a joystick and exactly the same thing happens. when I calibrate I can see both these brake buttons (on different controllers) being activated. I remain befuddled.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I don't have this aircraft but it sound like there are maybe chocks that need to be removed.

Torfi

Hello all,

Well, at this stage here is what I have done ....

1. re-assigned left and right toe brakes to throttle 7 and 8

2. deleted yoke "hold brakes regular" assignment

3. deleted controller (3) toggle "hold brakes maximum"4

4.  displayed gear/brakes data ref to screen.

Pressing yoke buttons change nothing on data display (wbrak 0.0000        

lbrak 0.0000 - rbrake 0.0000 wbrak 0.0000)

Moving "gear" lever changes 0.0000 to 1.0000

5. Checked keyboard assignments - nothing assigned to anything.

If I am standing ... engines running ... at the end of the runway and apply full throttle I move very slowly and yaw to the right. Throttling back produces a sudden full stop in the same manner as full braking is applied. Selecting the brake on the pedestal produces little change to momentum although the lever moves.

I do not know exactly what else I can do but it is looking more and more like a full bloody re-install. 

I really need some help here

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Torfih,

Although this may sound nasty, it is not meant to be.

Chocks, I would assume, would prevent any movement. I would also like to think that ANY aircraft in start up configuration "on runway and engines started" would not have chocks any where near it, and further, I would REALLY like to think that I have enough neurons circulating in my brain to check the outside view. Trust me, there are no chocks in sight and if there are invisible chocks stopping me how the hell do I remove them?

I would also like to add that this is a recent aberration and I have no idea what I could have done to inflict this word not allowed upon myself. I simply started XPlane11 selected my aircraft (with engines running on the end of the runway) to practice circuits and bumps and this is when all my problems started.  I am still on the end of the runway four hours later .... dammn it.

I do not believe that chocks are the obstruction.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Huh, that sounds really strange...

If you have field 14 displayed in data out and get 0.000 for wbrake, lbrake and rbrake then the brakes should really be off.

My ideas for further troubleshooting:

1.) Try a normal default aircraft like the Cessna 172

2.) Make sure you have NO third-party plugins....especially things like "fly with lua" or some weather add-ons are suspicious in this regard

3.) Try to launch yourself into the air with the map (M key), grab your plane with the mouse, then drag the altitude and speed to some sane value and release. See if the engine puts out thrust to keep you flying.

4.) Try a different airfield - especially if you are using a third party airport.

5.) Set up a button (default are V and B keys) to actually work the brakes. Maybe since you unassigned everything, the "release" of the brakes is not registering on the X-Plane physics engine, even though the dataref goes to 0... I have seen stranger things happen.

Cheers, Jan

Janov,

Thanks mate.

I have re-assigned V and B keys as well as a few others at different times.

I have changed to different aircraft (default and payware) and had the problem cleared. I was celebrating quietly after a good landing in the DDEN Challenger 300 using button 2 (rear Saitek yoke) for braking. I came to a stop at the holding point on the taxiway and brakes locked up again.

It appears that it is intermittent and the only way I can clear it, is to exit XPlane and then reboot the computer.  Just exiting XPlane and getting back into it, selecting the same aircraft does not clear the problem, although selecting a different aircraft does.  Not entirely satisfactory, but at least a work-a-round. 

Airrfield does not appear to be relevant as it has happened to me at four different airfields (Australian) 

I have disabled all plugins via the Plug in Admin whilst the problem exists and that makes no difference.

As you say this is just a little bit weird. I have read many posts with similar problems and tried all the suggestions offered there, ie check chocks, re-assign buttons etc.

If this persists, I may just reinstall XPlane11.  

The only thing I can possibly think off is that I tried a download of XPlane scenery (North America) using the XPlane installer. I was advised that High Headwinds CDN was going to take 191 hours to do this (I have a 20MB speed connnection.

As per a few previous posts, I eventually contacted XPlane and they very generously offered me a Steam download and key. I took advantage of this and had an uneventual 18 hour download for the entire scenery and XPlane. It took me quite a while to try to sort "Steam" out and I had problems assigning Control 1,3, 4 8 and 9 to any view on any aircraft. The system simply went back to the original assignments and ignored any input from me. I also could not figure out how to download and upgrade my Navigraph data. So I got a little clever(?) and simply deleted all my aircraft, scenery and plugins from my original installations, Rebooted  .... copied custom scenery, all plugins, custom data, Global scenery and the Laminar aircraft from the Steam download to my original installation, rebooted and all was well. I also updated Navigraph.  As is my usual procedure, I then installed my aircraft  one at a time, (three payware - Aerobask and DDen) flew and tested after each install. The same procedure applied to each of my plugins (all freeware with the exception of UXWP payware) and then all my Australian freeware airports. I have to admit it was a lengthy but trouble free install. I then updated Navigraph again LOL. I have now abandoned the steam install although it is still on my system on a different drive. As a precaution, I also went into the steam install and deleted all the keyboard/controller inputs in settings in case there was any conflict after this started happening. I was a very happy little vegemite (sorry .. OZ slang) until this problem reared its ugly head.

I cannot possibly see what else I can do ... other than a complete re install as I do not know of anything I may have done wrongly with the transfer from steam to my original install. I make this assumption, given flawless performance for about 10 days after the re-install.

I do not know if any of this extra information is of any help or even offers a clue about my problem but it is offered with some hope for a solution.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Tony, I don't know if this will help or not, but the one red flag I've noticed is in your first post, with faulty Saitek rudder pedals:

"I have faulty Saitek pedals (right side toe brake is not responding) so I have ignored both toe brake axis in settings and have assigned a yoke button to brakes until I fix the Rudder system."

You have turned off the brake assignment for the pedals, but have you tried unplugging the pedals completely? If you haven't, then give that a shot with rudder assigned to keyboard.

I know you've looked at the controller data output from XP, but hardware sending spurious signals on an analog input might be jamming up something at a lower level, like the Windows game controller interface before it even gets to XP. I've seen weird behavior from the sim when it gets conflicting inputs on the same channel.

If removing the pedals stops the problem, then you know what's happening. And if not, you'll have to keep looking. Good luck, this is a weird one.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Paraffin,

I got a little excited when I read your post. BUT...

In my first response to Jan I stated that I had swapped my yoke for a joy stick for testing.

During those tests, I only had my 1 throttle quadrant and joystick connected, using the twist for rudder and the other axis for yoke.  There were no settings for brake whatsoever but the brake was still applied.

So yes, I have been down that road and found no hitchhikers LOL or solutions for that matter. Again, I stress that this problem appears to be intermittent and I have to admit that was before I had the data displayed on screen. 

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I have problems with Parking Brakes doesn't show on the left bottom side of the screen as FSX, fs9 and P3d does.

Is there a way to make visible "Brakes" word on screen as the other sims?

Patricio Valdes

Hi Patricio,

we call this lack of feature "realism" - and if there were big red words on the screen for real pilots, quite a few of them could have saved the embarassment of trying to taxi out with the parking brake still set 🤣.

I think the new MSFS will be right down your alley - it seems to feature big, obvious "training wheels" type tooltips (I am sure you can turn them on and off) that give people that look for a more accessible simulation (some mean folks call them arcadish...) a helping hand when it comes to operating a complex piece of machinery.

In X-Plane the closest you can get is turning on the DATA OUT display (look for the corresponding tab in the menu) for the brakes. You can see the little green number going from 0 (no brakes) to 1 (full brakes) for all your wheels on screen.

Cheers, Jan

Don't know if this topic is still on.

But i just had this problem a few times and I solved it by desconnecting and reconnecting my rudder pedals

just plugin them out and then again in the usb slot.

If ever this helps

Cheers

• Like 1

I cannot get the brakes of the Airfoil Labs C172SP off. I've tried everything I read in the above posts, except a different airfield, which I will try, but still no joy. Data ref still shows brakes are on.

Thanks! 

What model, and brand controllers do you have Mega?

Edited by Paul Deluca