Sign in to follow this  
Lazer_cz

Rudder pedals or not? Share your experience

Hi,

I´m considering buying rudder pedals. But I´m not convinced about advantages. I was looking for some experiences around forums and internet, but honestly I haven´t found many.
I´m mostly flying Aerosoft Airbuses (319,320), I have Thrustmaster Joystick T Flight Hotas X, which has twist function for rudder. I have found rudder would serve for me mostly for taxiing and braking when landing.
So I dont see such big added value. Do you use rudder pedals? Is it big defference? Please share your experiences  🙂 . I can spend money for some other addons as well or save for new PC....

Just to share, I own these addons:
PF3
MCE
ORBX Global
Aerosoft Airbus Pro
Navigraph subscription
AS 
REX texture direcet w/ soft clouds
REX Worldwide Airports HD
Some Carenado Props

Thanks!

Edited by Lazer_cz

How can you fly without them? 

Rudder pedals are as essential as yoke/joystick in my opinion. "Stick and rudder" is the basics of flying, and I really can't imagine making a graceful x-wind landing without pedals. 

My first real life flying lesson in a C172 was all about practicing coordinated turns using the yoke and rudder pedals. In real life this should be practiced until it becomes second nature so you can focus on the other aspects of flying. Of course it is somewhat easier in real life as you get a feel for what the aircraft is doing, but then again, with the turbulence you experience in a C172 doing things accurate can be a real pain. 

Even B737/A320 pilots fly stick and rudder when given the chance, usually at less busy airports and typical charter destinations. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Flying an aircraft without rudder pedals is like skiing without poles. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I used them all the time and cannot imagine flying without them. Mine broke a little over a year ago and I did not fly, that's how much they are important to me. 

Are you piloting or gaming? If you're a gamer, then pedals are optional. Otherwise... silly rabbit!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I'm going to go against the grain here, I have pedals and I use them a lot BUT if you're just flying Airbuses you can get away with the stick twist or the paddle on the back of the throttles and tapping a trigger for brakes.

Pedals are expensive, but they are worth it if you fly other birds where you'll get some use out of them. But the Airbus sorts the rudder out for you most of the time aside from heavy crosswind or engine failure, and IRL they taxi using a tiller anyways, so it all depends if you consider pedals expensive.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm more into the artsy side of flight sim so pedals are not required.  My MS Force Feedback 2 works just fine.

Edited by TuFun

I remember the times (6 years ago?) when I still flew with a joystick (Logitech) which also had a twist function. Landing in crosswind was always a nightmare, and I couldn't understand how pilots can do that so well in real life. When I got my Saitek rudder pedals, I finally understood why. It takes a little bit (few days) of time to get used to pedals, but then it makes a hell of a difference. 

Yes, if you fly only Airbus and do autoland/ avoid crosswinds, you can get away with your joystick. I did that for many years. However, as often in life, you only know what you have been missing after you made the experience yourself. I would strongly recommend to get pedals, it gives you way more control and feels much more real.

Peter

I used to sim without a rudder pedals too...for a long time! Until I got one. I got the Thrustmaster FCS (comes with throttle, joystick, and rudder pedals). Never looked back. Couldn't imagine how I got by all the previous years without a proper rudder pedal. 

• Like 1

Romano Lara
0yad8s-6.png

I've also found rudder pedals to be useful even outside of flight simming!

They work wonderfully as brake and accelerator pedals in Euro Truck Sim and American Truck sim!  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I've also found rudder pedals to be useful even outside of flight simming!

They work wonderfully as brake and accelerator pedals in Euro Truck Sim and American Truck sim!  :laugh:

I dont have a wheel :))

I use my yoke instead of a wheel, but if all you've got is a joystick... not so much help there! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Lazer_cz said:

I dont have a wheel :))

If you can use a joystick in place of pedals, using it in place of a wheel should be easy! 😄

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I "fly" helicopters as well so no rudder pedals = carpal tunnel syndrome :-D . I wonder not how you can land an aircraft in crosswind but how you can keep it on runway without differential breaking...

Since you have "cz" in your nickname ... are you from Czechia? If so and if you live near the border with Poland, check the prices there. I bought my Saitek pedals approx. 30% cheaper during one of my trips to Kraków.