Sign in to follow this  
soerennielsen

Apollo 11

Thanks for this link.

I was 9 years old at the time.  I now have a 10 year old grandson. This will be great to share this with him.

Regards Ted Kiser

Here's what really happened 50 years ago:  

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

18 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Here's what really happened 50 years ago:  

No it didn't! 

Here's what happened:

But seriously, the apolloinrealtime-page is just amazing. The resouces that are made available are simply staggering... Got lost in it for several hours yesterday.

Cheers

Mallard

Edited by Mallard
  • Like 2

Brilliant thanks. Do they do the return as well? If so can you wake me up when that happens as I can't find any of the data of the reeenty, saying that neither can anyone else because it was lost. Who'd of thought greatest achievement of man and all that and just like that 'poof it's gone' 

Maybe if buzz and Neil where alive they could tell us what is like to go through the van Allen belts as to this day no one can explain that little minor part either. 

That's Apart from the shuttle crew that started getting bad vision (black spots and double vision)  when they  got close to the belts.  I belive they only tried it the once and said stuff this. 

Even when musk has been asked how he's going to manage it he doesn't know

In all seriousness I'm still 80 they did it  and 20  they didnt as why fake it 6 (not just the once) times in a row to make a point to those Russians 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, Mallard said:

But seriously, the apolloinrealtime-page is just amazing. The resouces that are made available are simply staggering... Got lost in it for several hours yesterday.

Amazing indeed. Many thanks to sorennielsen for sharing that with us..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I was 11 years old and had followed the Apollo program on TV in Denmark. Exciting times.

Later I visited Cape Canaveral and the Space Center twice, in 1978 and 1982.

By the way, here are some, in my opinion, excellent documentaries.

About Mission Control:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f51Jzm7M4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiOwBx6gLQ

About the Saturn V Rocket:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoIugXUKfM

There are many others, just do a search on YouTube.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Maybe if buzz and Neil where alive they could tell us what is like to go through the van Allen belts as to this day no one can explain that little minor part either. 

Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins are still alive, only Neil has passed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Liftoff, we have liftoff, 32 minutes past the hour....

I remember those words, even though I was only eight, like they were yesterday.  One of the cereal companies had a cardboard cutout lunar lander from their box which one of my brothers put together for me, it was quite cool and accurate in appearance.  Moreover, I recall the unsung Apollo 8 when I was just seven, because our nation and the world was riveted by their orbit of the moon. And Apollo 13, which was a close call but also an example of world support, and technical support that many help desks still strive for today in all professions.

Also remembered are the sacrifices from the US and other countries.  One thing that hit many of us old of us to remember was the Soyuz 11 tragedy, the world was saddened when we learned the news.  The first Space Shuttle tragedy happened on my parents' wedding anniversary, I watched it unfold live when my Mom woke me and said she sensed something was going wrong, and before they even announced it officially I knew, as most of the world did by then, that something had happened.

Still none of these losses were in vain, safety procedures, fire repellent technology and the tons of electronic tech we are immersed in today all came from those who put their foot forward so we could learn from their experience.  That is what life is in general, even when those we know or do not know pass, we often learn from their passing how to celebrate life and their addition to our spiritual universe a bit more, a universe still ripe for exploring, not only outer space, but inner space too and still the many vasts, unexplored parts of our world, like the desert area where I live, for instance.

John

16 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

It has been explained though. Some good videos on Youtube covering it too.

I often wondered why the countdown person was never interviewed. I found his voice so compelling and added so much to the drama of the launch. I was 18 at the time of Apollo 11 and because I had work the next morning decided not to stay up until 4am. Something I later regretted.

So is there anything about that countdown chap?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the link @soerennielsen, this is absolutely mind blowing

Here's the original Apollo 11 Guidance computer hooked up to a desktop simulator in order to recreate the moon landing, fascinating stuff 

Edited by Woozie

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I often wondered why the countdown person was never interviewed. I found his voice so compelling and added so much to the drama of the launch. I was 18 at the time of Apollo 11 and because I had work the next morning decided not to stay up until 4am. Something I later regretted.

So is there anything about that countdown chap?

Ray,

His name was Jack King, and he was actually Launch Commentator in the Launch Control Center at Kennedy Space Center.

You can Google him.

• Like 1

Thanks @soerennielsen. I shall do that now. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch pretty much all the launches during the 60s from my front yard. 

In later years up to this day I watch them from my back yard. I especially like the night launches. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals